Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Too bright?
« on: 26/05/2012 at 08:37 »
OK, so the weather has taken a turn for the better and the barbecues are getting fired up :cool:

If you are going out for a cast ..... what will be your tactics in these conditions?

Carry on with the dries and hope the trout are wearing shades? :z4

Cheers
Mike

Iain Cameron

Re: Too bright?
« Reply #1 on: 26/05/2012 at 09:49 »
If you are going out for a cast ..... what will be your tactics

I was out yesterday, and pondering that question too.
Just enjoying being on the river in warmth and sunshine is good enough!

But I did get up at 415am, and was fishing early- that's a sensible thing to do at any time, but especially when the river has heated up.

For the river, sun rises in the east, so the fishes looking upstream not be dazzled until later in the day. So I'm not too concerned.

I did concentrate on pocket water yesterday morning for two reasons; great visibility for me to see the pockets and pick my way upstream, and nice well oxygenated water for the fishes. Just caught tiddlers, but was fun.

I always think that bright sun & clear water lets me see the river bed, so even if the fishes aren't playing today, mentally I am mapping locations/spots for reference later.

No fishing today, but back at it on Sunday. In the sun, can't wait!

Loxiafan

« Reply #2 on: 26/05/2012 at 10:14 »
Late afternoons and evenings for me this weekend, and possibly from now on. Might try an early morning, but then again I am a bit of a 'night owl' !

Some fishing splooshing and slashing at sedges last night and few females egg laying from what I could gather. As Ross Kemp would say "things are gonna kick off" pretty soon I reckon.

Lindsay

Iain Goolager

« Reply #3 on: 26/05/2012 at 10:17 »

I just stick on a dry (small dark junk seem to be on the agenda) walk, sit, relax and enjoy. Great chance to use the camera or bandy net.

Iain

Matt Henderson

« Reply #4 on: 26/05/2012 at 17:59 »
My tactic is to stick on a Sunray shadow  and strip it back faster than a fast thing. I'll report back later! ;)

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #5 on: 28/05/2012 at 08:28 »
My tactic today is to go out this evening with a 9 weight Helios and BIG flies :)

I shall also report back later!

However, as of tomorrow, with this promised cooler, damper weather, I will have a go at the Salmon I think.

Matt Henderson

« Reply #6 on: 28/05/2012 at 19:41 »
The Sunray didn't work on Saturday night. However was the first time I had fished down there and was probably in exactly the wrong place. However will be back again soon and in the right place this time!

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #7 on: 29/05/2012 at 00:30 »
Three Pike tonight. Nothing big but nice to be catching after a lean start to the year. Missed a lot on BIG flies so scaled back to something around 5 inches and started to hook up.

boopinter

« Reply #8 on: 31/05/2012 at 19:13 »
hey rob,(new to the forum and hope im not being overly friendly???)  wondered where you go piking on the fly?ive been flypiking for a bit but cant find decent places around here.anyroad im oot trooting on the muick on friday nicht and over at alford on saturday on the haughton house water.having a nightmare so far this year with missed,broken off and folk swimming through the pools!!!! hopefully it will change this weekend......

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #9 on: 01/06/2012 at 08:44 »
Aye aye...best bet for you is to get a ticket for Loch of Skene. £85 a year, 7 days a week fishing available. The Pike are now being looked after here so hopefully, as time goes by, it will be as good as it was 20 years ago.

Lots of jacks just now but a few doubles coming through. The water has produced very big pike in the past so its worth trying.

Hamish Young

« Reply #10 on: 01/06/2012 at 19:46 »
This is too bright..... Euan and I packing up (early) last Saturday after a fruitless days fishing but a great day for working on tans  :wink

The car said the external temperature was 30 degrees C....... allowing for Italian exaggeration of 10% that's still 27 degrees  :shock

H :cool:

Matt Henderson

« Reply #11 on: 01/06/2012 at 19:53 »
Is the Alfa still on the road H? ;)

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #12 on: 02/06/2012 at 23:18 »

If its like our one it will have had 2 resprays, a new gearbox, entire suspension replaced twice, but its still the same car...lol

Hamish Young

« Reply #13 on: 03/06/2012 at 00:13 »

More or less (touch wood......  :shock).

H :z3

Peter McCallum

« Reply #14 on: 03/06/2012 at 10:18 »
Nooooooooooooooooooo  H you've tempted fate   :X1 .........I sense impending doom  :shock :shock   :z4 :z12

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com