Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Hamish Young

River Beauly 29/5/12
« on: 19/05/2012 at 20:12 »
It's one of things.

Seems to be my lot in life to land fish for other folk. Now that's not a hardship and I'm not moaning..... I enjoy it as it goes, nothing better than helping other anglers.... but this evening I went to go and try a nice new Skagit line on my 15' DTX and it felt very very fishy.

River was running at nearly 2' on the gauge below Lovat Bridge so I nipped down stream to beat 2. I'd just 'wet' the line when I had a good hard pull and a fish showed on the surface.

'Bugger' said I as it didn't take hold  :z6

I had just rounded the corner when Lee (a guy who joined the Beauly AC the same time as me) shouted at me from down stream 'fish on :!'
Transpires the fish had actually been on for some 30 minutes....

I'll continue this post later...... (dinner is ready).

H :z3

Mike Barrio

Re: River Beauly 29/5/12
« Reply #1 on: 19/05/2012 at 20:18 »
Look into the future you do :z4

Hamish Young

« Reply #2 on: 19/05/2012 at 20:53 »
Now then.....

So, continuing the tale, I did the honourable thing and reeled in.
Partly as Lee was walking the fish back up right through where I wanted to fish but mostly as I guessed it was a good fish by the way Lees rod was bent.

So I lit a cigarette and waited with Lee. Two ciggies later (so twenty minutes or so) and the battle was still going:

And ten minutes after that it was still going:

Anyway... to cut a long story short eventually I managed to get in the water and tail it out.
Here is Lee with his prize, fresh off the tide and smothered in long tailed sea lice.

I put a weight on it of around 23-25lbs. I couldn't have been happier for him, a belting fish which took a buggeringly long time to come in. Successful fly :? A Park Shrimp I'd given Lee last year. Git :z7 :z4

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 19/05/2012 at 20:57 »
Great photos ...... and a cracking fish! :z16

Cheers
Mike

Ben Dixon

« Reply #4 on: 19/05/2012 at 22:11 »
Makes a change for the first guy down the pool to get the fish H  :z4

Nice fish, very nice fish.  How'd the line go for you?

Ben

Hamish Young

« Reply #5 on: 19/05/2012 at 22:13 »
How'd the line go for you?

It went well, very well. Need to adjust the amount of overhang carefully but it goes feckin miles :cool:

Ben Dixon

« Reply #6 on: 19/05/2012 at 22:15 »
It went well, very well. Need to adjust the amount of overhang carefully but it goes feckin miles :cool:

Good shit  :z16

Jim Eddie

« Reply #7 on: 20/05/2012 at 15:55 »
A cracking fish  :z16

:z18
Jim

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com