Fishing The Fly Forum, based in Aberdeenshire,  Scotland

Hamish Young

River Beauly 29/5/12
« on: May 19, 2012, 20:12:52 PM »
It's one of things.

Seems to be my lot in life to land fish for other folk. Now that's not a hardship and I'm not moaning..... I enjoy it as it goes, nothing better than helping other anglers.... but this evening I went to go and try a nice new Skagit line on my 15' DTX and it felt very very fishy.

River was running at nearly 2' on the gauge below Lovat Bridge so I nipped down stream to beat 2. I'd just 'wet' the line when I had a good hard pull and a fish showed on the surface.

'Bugger' said I as it didn't take hold  :z6

I had just rounded the corner when Lee (a guy who joined the Beauly AC the same time as me) shouted at me from down stream 'fish on :!'
Transpires the fish had actually been on for some 30 minutes....

I'll continue this post later...... (dinner is ready).

H :z3

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience ;)

Mike Barrio

Re: River Beauly 29/5/12
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 20:18:53 PM »
Look into the future you do :z4
www.flylineshop.com   At the heart of your fishing ..... lies a great fly line!

Hamish Young

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 20:53:50 PM »
Now then.....

So, continuing the tale, I did the honourable thing and reeled in.
Partly as Lee was walking the fish back up right through where I wanted to fish but mostly as I guessed it was a good fish by the way Lees rod was bent.

So I lit a cigarette and waited with Lee. Two ciggies later (so twenty minutes or so) and the battle was still going:

And ten minutes after that it was still going:

Anyway... to cut a long story short eventually I managed to get in the water and tail it out.
Here is Lee with his prize, fresh off the tide and smothered in long tailed sea lice.

I put a weight on it of around 23-25lbs. I couldn't have been happier for him, a belting fish which took a buggeringly long time to come in. Successful fly :? A Park Shrimp I'd given Lee last year. Git :z7 :z4

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience ;)

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 20:57:43 PM »
Great photos ...... and a cracking fish! :z16

Cheers
Mike
www.flylineshop.com   At the heart of your fishing ..... lies a great fly line!

Ben_D

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 22:11:24 PM »
Makes a change for the first guy down the pool to get the fish H  :z4

Nice fish, very nice fish.  How'd the line go for you?

Ben

Hamish Young

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2012, 22:13:45 PM »
How'd the line go for you?

It went well, very well. Need to adjust the amount of overhang carefully but it goes feckin miles :cool:

Ben_D

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2012, 22:15:19 PM »
It went well, very well. Need to adjust the amount of overhang carefully but it goes feckin miles :cool:

Good shit  :z16

Jim Eddie

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2012, 15:55:17 PM »
A cracking fish  :z16

:z18
Jim
"Because in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing what they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion."

Forum moderators : Mike Barrio - Hamish Young - Sandy Nelson

Barrio Fly Lines, designed in Scotland ... Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines - www.flylineshop.com - At the heart of your fishing ..... lies a great fly line!

Please click here to read our cookies and privacy information before using our website forum

All content on this website is copyright www.fishingthefly.co.uk