Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Hamish Young

Loch Watten 18/5/12
« on: 19/05/2012 at 14:36 »
Despite my misgivings about the weather...... I was out on Loch Watten with two American chaps on the 18th.

I could prattle on for ages about flies that caught, the wind, the cold etc but the practical upshot is two loch novices that had never fished in Scotland before had a great day and caught some belting fish. As I was kind of busy on the oars, sorting out leaders, rods, drogue and generally busy guiding I didn't have much opportunity with the camera.

However, what I can say is we all had a fantastic day and the photo below (the only I took :!) is pretty much the stamp of the fish caught which were all released.
Fantastic sport.

A boat (with outboard) from Hugo Ross in Wick http://www.hugoross.co.uk/ is £50/day or £25 without the engine. Well worth the trip guys  :cool:

H :z3

Allan Liddle

Re: Loch Watten 18/5/12
« Reply #1 on: 19/05/2012 at 16:46 »
Crackin fish on a crackin water.  Seems like a lifetime since we were out there H

Hamish Young

« Reply #2 on: 19/05/2012 at 21:12 »
You're not wrong Allan, a lot water has gone down the Wick River since that outing :!

:z3

jimmy r

« Reply #3 on: 20/05/2012 at 06:23 »
we were up for the week before you , had a great time  but the wind was a pain alas some very nice fish on watten, st johns was a wash out on the tuesday toftingall fished well on weds, there was a compitition on watten on saturday which was quite amusing i thought it was a compitition to see who could get the biggest outboard on to the boat, stayed at the brown trout hotel what more could we ask for a great week had by all, :z4

Hamish Young

« Reply #4 on: 20/05/2012 at 09:44 »
A few more pics from Watten:

:z3

Mike M

« Reply #5 on: 24/05/2012 at 21:30 »
The last time I saw you in a Watten boat Hamish I was towing you and Dryflee back to the harbour at Watten village!
Some nice looking troots just hope you left me a few for when I go up in a few weeks time. 

darren675

« Reply #6 on: 06/06/2012 at 14:40 »
I intend to fish Loch Watten on the evening in a couple of weeks - may I ask what type of flies you would advocate using?

Darren

Jim Eddie

« Reply #7 on: 06/06/2012 at 18:00 »
Darren

Check out the link from Hugo Ross's site

http://www.hugoross.co.uk/info-watten.asp

:z18

Jim

Hamish Young

« Reply #8 on: 06/06/2012 at 18:30 »
I intend to fish Loch Watten on the evening in a couple of weeks - may I ask what type of flies you would advocate using?

Darren

Hi Darren,
Match the hatch really works on Watten, if the fish are 'turned on' to terrestrials watch what's being blown onto the water carefully.
Hugo lists a wide range of patterns that work well on the top, if it's cold then in my experience it is worth getting 'down and dirty' with a quick-ish sinker and something matuka style in black & silver on the tail and something like a Loch Ordie or Watten Warrior on the dropper(s).
If it's calm and mild then a Allan Liddle's Bibio emerger is well worth a punt as are simple Klinkhammer patterns.

H :z3

Allan Liddle

« Reply #9 on: 07/06/2012 at 21:42 »
Thanks Hamish

Bibio Emerger well worth a bash both as a pulled fly, or even better as a static dry in everything from flat calm to big rolling wave.
Dressing:
Hook Kamasan B400 12 to 16
Rib black tying thread
Body (rear and front third) black seal sub / chopped green glister (2/3 1/3) mix tied sparse, (middle) scarlet seal fur mix, all dubbing well picked out
Hackle two / three turns white cock clipped below to form expanded 'v' and allow fly to sit 'level' in the film.

Gink well and fish as close to static as you can.
(tryalso the Black and White which is basically the same fly but without the red bit)

Other flies worth a bash:

Green tailed Kate, trad Kate, Zulu, Black Nymph, Olive Black or Claret Snatchers, Olive or HE DHE, Dirty Duster (especially black / claret dub mix body grizzle hackle), Greenwell Spider, or in a big wave olive yellow claret or nat HE Hogs.  All in sizes 12 - 14.  Half Hogs as well size 14
And if you're not a traditionalist black shuggie or damsel (aye i know i might advocate dries but you wouldn't expect me to fish them all the time? Nothing wrong with a little dip into the 'Dark Side')

Hope this helps

Allan L.

PS if Watten not fishing then Yarrows, Sarclet, Toftingall and St Johns all worthy of attention amongs a good number of other waters.  Hugo can advise.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com