Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Yellow?
« on: 18/05/2012 at 15:44 »
What do you think of yellow as a bright fly line colour? I'm thinking as an alternative colour to orange :wink

Cheers
Mike

Rob Brownfield

Re: Yellow?
« Reply #1 on: 18/05/2012 at 16:38 »
Hmmmm..intresting. I have a yellow airflo line (sorry) and I quite like the colour. However, how about somewhere inbetween yellow and orange..somethig like..well...Peach :)

I love the Cortland peach as in low light levels it really seems to stand out without being obtrusive.

But, if we can't have peach, then yes, yellow is a bit less ARRRRGHHHH my eyes  :z16

Kevin Muir

« Reply #2 on: 18/05/2012 at 17:02 »
Hi Mike

For teaching or practising casting I like the orange head on the SLX as it is very visible, you need every help you can get when watching anyone cast a line.

For fishing I don't mind an orange coloured head (I have a few orange lines).  Having said that, I know that the majority of my floating fishing lines are a shade of  ivory, pale yellow or straw.  if you need a more subtle colour for the SLX line I like your original ivory colour for lines. 

Could you get an SLX made with an ivory head and an orange or other more visible running line?  I think the colour change is critical for this line and would be very handy on most lines as you can easily see how much of the head you are casting.  Much better than marking it with a black marker at the end of the head.

I will still buy the orange SLX if they are being produced and would buy it in preferance to an SLX with an olive head.

Kevin.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 18/05/2012 at 17:11 »
Hi Kevin :z16

Thanks for that ...... the SLX will continue to have the orange head and I will also be stocking it with an olive head in about 10 days time  as they were being manufactured today.

The colour question ( as in yellow ) would be for the new GT125 ....... although I think I will probably settle for a cream version and an orange version like the GT140 :wink

Cheers
Mike

Peter McCallum

« Reply #4 on: 18/05/2012 at 19:32 »
If the GT125 is to stand out then make it yellow and make the 140 orange, saves confusion. If I didn't have my Ivory GT140 on a totally different reel from my standard WF I'd struggle to tell them apart........ but maybe it's just me  :z8

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #5 on: 18/05/2012 at 22:38 »
hell, why not pink while you're at it...   ditch the yellow !    :grin :z4 :grin

Matt Henderson

« Reply #6 on: 18/05/2012 at 23:17 »
I've still to have a cast with my SLX but Kev makes a very valid point. The colour change to mark the end of the head/start of the running line is essential. I have a wulff nymph taper and for single handed spey casting it's a  bugger to work out where the end of the head is consistently.

Cheers Matt

Iain Cameron

« Reply #7 on: 19/05/2012 at 08:32 »
What do you think of yellow as a bright fly line colour? I'm thinking as an alternative colour to orange :wink

hi mike

Yellow is the head colour of my current go-to fly line; it has an orange running line too.

At first i did think it looked garish and toooo bright, but I'm happy with it, there's no squinting or peering to find it... great visibility. And i've caught fish with it on still water & river.

There's always an 8 or 10 foot clear polyleader on the end of the fly line, and then another length of leader/tippet, usually another 9 foot or more, so there's plenty of clearance between the fly line and fly.

bright is the new dull! Looking forward to playing with my new BRIGHT ORANGE SLX which is in the post at the mo :-)

Allan Liddle

« Reply #8 on: 19/05/2012 at 16:57 »
I've a yellow Orvis line i've used a lot which both stood out well and wasn't overly obtrusive.  That said i don't really mind my bright orange lines either on most waters, just not rivers.  Prefer the more muted colours for here (Barrio GT90)

Euan Innes

« Reply #9 on: 11/06/2012 at 22:44 »
I prefer the orange Mike.
Yellow seems to get "lost" on a bright day on a big wave and orange doesn't - just me. That might be horse shit if my new polaroids work out!
Besides, if the line is over the fish it doesn't really matter!

:z1

Bernd Ziesche

« Reply #10 on: 28/06/2012 at 13:18 »
Hi Mike,
yellow and white can be very good in visability depending on the circumstances. Orange is always very well to see. Just have done some filmings in Norway. I used a yellow and a orange line. Orange was best while yellow was good, too.
My fav is clearly orange.
Like Carl McNeil said: "Orange makes the longest and best strike indicator we can get."
Greets
Bernd

Mike Barrio

« Reply #11 on: 28/06/2012 at 15:56 »
Very poor light for photos here today, but compared with the GT140S orange, the sunburst yellow colour is quite visible?

(No flash)

(with flash and with white paper background)

It is pretty much not orange and not yellow :z4

Bernd Ziesche

« Reply #12 on: 28/06/2012 at 16:14 »
Significant differencies start to come in when casting on grass or in front of bushes being in "old green" / almost yellowish...
That's when orange is way better.
I will keep in mind to make some pics casting yellow and orange at the same time in different situations.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #13 on: 28/06/2012 at 18:09 »
There are yellows and yellows, lots of different shades, the second one is almost orange :z4

But it is clear that almost everybody prefers orange ..... so this is good feedback :z16

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #14 on: 29/06/2012 at 08:34 »
But it is clear that almost everybody prefers orange ..... so this is good feedback :z16

Looks peachy to me ;)

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com