Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

mike

Evening Chaps and chapesses ,

Well ,

just began my river fishing recently and bought a new spin rod and reel fae somers last week .  I bought line from another well known shop ,BB, and was advised to use 15lb line but i cant recall the name off the top of my noggin just now ....
My fishing buddy says that 12lb maxima is the best but as im new to this lark i thought i would ask for your guys advice on here as too what you all use and what in your opinion is decent nylon t use ............  and breath....

Regards ,

Mike G .

Hamish Young

Re: Fits a good nylon t use ???? oh mi heed ......
« Reply #1 on: 19/05/2012 at 09:22 »
If you've bought 15lb, use it  :wink

I've always regarded my 'main line' when spinning as needing to be robust, the 'leader composition' to the end being rather more important. Obviously, that depends on what I'm fishing on the end. Sometimes you might want to go straight through to your lure and not fish a 'leader'.
Fishing a 'leader' is a tip I picked up from a very nice old gent who I fished with when working in Wales (cough..... 21 years ago :shock). His advice has stuck with me since, I consider the 18lb maxima on my spinning reel as a 'means to an end'..... in that what I attach to it is considerably more important than then the line itself.

12lb might suit some, 18 others and probably 20lb in some hands.  Personally, I wouldn't worry about replacing 15lb to be honest. Learning how to correctly fish a variety of lures is rather more important.

H :z3

mike

« Reply #2 on: 19/05/2012 at 19:27 »
Hamish,

cheers for the reply and advise  :z18 . Are you saying you fish different lures in different ways !!!!!!!!  geez , iv got a lot to learn by the sounds of things  :z6

Toby's not the same as a rapala or flying c's   .....    OH MI HEED .. I should have stuck with fly fishing in a stocked loch  :z4

:X2 A " how too " on fishing lures should be my next topic me thinks .... by the way ..how do you fish a...............

jimmy r

« Reply #3 on: 20/05/2012 at 08:07 »
daiwa sensor clear is hard to beat 18lb small diameter and come at an average price,

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 23/05/2012 at 17:33 »
..and to add even more things to the hassle of lure fishing...different lines will have the lure swimming at different depths and different speeds across the current.

Basically, the thicker the line the more drag occurs, the more drag, the higher the lure will swim and the quicker it will move across the current as the flow will catch and push on the line more.

Generally, the heavier the breaking strain of the line, the thicker it will be.

....unless you use a modern co-polymer, pre stretched line or, more importantly, braid. I use 30lb braid which is the same diameter as 10lb line. So, my lures will run slower and deeper as the braid is so thin. BUT, some braids float, which makes the lure run higher...etc etc.

Lure fishing is often seen as a last result, fools way of fishing, but if done right (and I am no expert on Salmon lure fishing, but I can hold my own with Pike and Perch :) ) it is very skillful and like fly fishing, rods and reels can run into hundreds of pounds and be just as delicate as a fly rod.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com