Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

calloo

new user of Rio AFS Outbound intermediate
« on: 10/05/2012 at 07:09 »
My Rod is Bruce and Walker 15ft Norway Spey Caster, and my new shooting head is 640 gr Rio AFS Outbound. I would appreciate advice on how much of the head length should be on the rod when casting. It seems quite a heavy line and I feel a bit nervous of overloading the rod. Thanks for any help.

Rob Brownfield

Re: new user of Rio AFS Outbound intermediate
« Reply #1 on: 10/05/2012 at 08:46 »
Is it a 9/10 or a 10/11 rod? I see B&W do two 15 footers in that model.

Looking on the Rio website they have tables with recommended lines but unfortunately your exact model is not listed, however, if the line is 640gr that puts it at the very upper end of B&Ws ratings for their 15 footers, ie, an 10/11 weight line.

Working on that principle, Rio recommend the 10/11 AFS for beginner/improver casters where the extra weight in the line will help load the road during a spey cast. They recommend the 9/10 for casters that can cast well and load a rod easily.

As for the head...none of the head should be in the tip for a clean cast. There is a change in colour in the line and that change should be withing a few inches of the tip ring to start.

I am only starting to get to grips with all these ideas and load ratings etc and experimenting with far too many lines just now!...but I am pretty sure what I have said is correct  :roll I am sure Ben or someone can point you in the right direction though :) The Rio spread sheet is fantastic for reference though.

Hamish Young

« Reply #2 on: 10/05/2012 at 10:41 »
Lots of useful info there from Rob :cool:

Ideally, you'd want the head just outside the rod tip, an inch or so. If my recollection is sound there's a colour transition between head and running line, you do not want much overhang (where running line is outside the rod tip) until you've mastered the outfit.
As it's an intermediate, you need to make sure the head has been rolled back up onto the surface before making your cast.
I presume we're talking about spey casts ???
Do not 'whack' the rod but push it through your stroke and remember to finish with the rod tip high.

Practice, practice, practice :z17

H :z3

calloo

« Reply #3 on: 10/05/2012 at 11:57 »
Thank you to both Rob and Hamish. The Norway rod is certainly 10/11, and it is Spey casting I am attempting. Your responses to my question are very helpful .
Thanks

Ben Dixon

« Reply #4 on: 10/05/2012 at 12:28 »
All good advice, AFS 10/11 is the one a Norway.  These rods bend deep and it is hard to cast them off the tip, heavier heads are the way to go on most B&W rods IMO.  Stick to about 6" of running line outside of the tip to start with however you'd be as well pulling the head right to the rod tip to roll the line to the surface.

Cheers

Ben

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com