Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Cal

Alford fishing
« on: 04/04/2007 at 16:26 »
As there seems to be a few of us on the forum who live and fish in the Alford area, does anyone fancy forming an informal group who meet up every so often to chat about fishing in the area. I have a personal aversion to "clubs" so for me it would be an occasional thing with no rules regulations etc etc, apart from the rules for fishing as laid down in the permits of course. Let me know if anyone is interested. We have two members already by the way.

Mike Barrio

Alford fishing
« Reply #1 on: 04/04/2007 at 18:47 »
Great stuff  :z16

Mike Barrio

Mike Livingstone

Alford fishing
« Reply #2 on: 04/04/2007 at 20:12 »
Yes.  I'm up for it.  Don't know if I can bring much to the party in the way of river fishing as I am very new to it.  Are you suggesting fly tying etc as well?

Drop me a PM with e-mail etc and I'll e-mail contact details.

wildfisher

Alford fishing
« Reply #3 on: 04/04/2007 at 20:24 »
Sorry Cal, I'll have to pass on this one. The admin / social / outing side of the wild fishing forum means I already spend far too much time on "things fishing".  I don’t  know if you are proposing outings to the river, but  the Alford beats of the Don would not be a good place if you are. Given the spookiness of Don trout and the space demands already made by the ironmongery  chuckers, especially on the lower beat, there is not enough water  there for  more than one or two anglers. Twelve of us are having  an outing on the Don later this month and have booked 7 beats on Monymusk – the busy council waters just could not accommodate such an event.

Mike Barrio

Alford fishing
« Reply #4 on: 04/04/2007 at 23:29 »
Hi Cal

Meeting up for a chat about localised tactics, flies etc sounds like a great idea to me and a wee group of about half a dozen folk would be perfect for this  :cool:

Do not rule out sociable river fishing! I have fished the Don with friends in the past ( up to 10 rods ) and not found this to be any problem whatsoever. I enjoyed the social chat before we each set off in different directions in search of our trout and on meeting up again at the end of the evening. I am sure that we have caught the same number of fish as we would have done had we each gone to the river alone.

I do not live near Alford and I cannot join you I'm afraid ....... BUT I do think that this is a brilliant idea and I hope others join you!

Best wishes
Mike Barrio

wildfisher

Alford fishing
« Reply #5 on: 05/04/2007 at 08:13 »
You can have my place Mike   :lol:

Rob Brownfield

Alford fishing
« Reply #6 on: 05/04/2007 at 10:29 »
Sounds like a trip to the Midmar is on the cards ;)..or maybe the hotel at the Bridge of Alford??

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com