Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

adambrain

Re: Breaking strains
« Reply #15 on: 09/05/2012 at 15:46 »
Marc,
I am not a fan of fluro really as I find it is extremely prone to breaking under sudden loads.

I actually like Maxima if I am after big fish as it is probably one of the stretchiest lines on the market and when a 20 pound Pike hits a lure o0n a short line, having a bit of stretch is useful.

Also, many of these super thin co polymer lines are "pre-stretched" which again means that they do not like being snatched at.

This is exactly the reason I started this thread. It does not happen often but when it does it's it makes me very angry and that being polite.
Im in the process of experimenting with different lines and yes the maxima seems ok at the moment, ive been using fluoro for a while and getting affa bored of its crap and not sure the advantages out-weigh the disadvantages. Frog Hair was also a topper i quite liked that.

Adam.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #16 on: 09/05/2012 at 16:30 »
I actually really like the Drennen Sub Surface line. Its fine, knots well and has a bit of give to it. Being a slight green colour I prefer not to use if for dry flies.

Wychwood also do some interesting lines. I have there Fluro and don't like it but the other two are good. I use the Finesse for dry flies because its fine and clear and the sub surface for..well..sub surface..lol.

outspan001

« Reply #17 on: 11/05/2012 at 22:08 »
Hi there,

I have to say I use fluro all the time and don't have any issues. From the ones I have tried Frog hair is the best and I use it for all my river fishing. I use 8lb for wets and nymphs and 6lbs for dry. I looked carefully into this a couple of years ago after getting broken all the time. I changed from drennen double strength which was giving me poor knot strength to the frog hair. This allowed me to add2-3lbs to my leader strength and actually reduce the diameter, have not been broken since. The stuff is not cheap but it has proved very good. Had a great 4lb brown out of the deveron last week and had no problems even in a strong current. With leaders also I think the line weight of the rod really needs taking into account as i would not like to fish with a 3-4lb leader on a 7wt rod, due to the force the rod can exert, it is asking to get snapped.

Cheers

Mark

Ben Dixon

« Reply #18 on: 11/05/2012 at 22:38 »
The point a lot of folk miss about double strength and some of the premium fluorocarbons is that for a given diameter say 0.0X", they have a stronger breaking strain bog standard traditional nylon of the same diameter but, a certain diameter of tippet material is required to properly carry and present a fly of given mass & size.  For example, 15lb Maxima will carry a 1.5" copper tube O.K, 15lb Super Strong won't.  25lb Super Strong will carry the tube just fine but that is because it is the same diameter as 15lb Maxima, i.e it is the right diameter for the job but stronger.  15lb Super Strong has about the same diameter as 9lb Maxima would have if it existed.  I think this is poorly explain by many manufacturers.

Generally, I chose line weight hence rod) based on the size of the flies being cast and build the leader of the highest diameter I can get away with and still have the fly behave naturally.  I rarely get broken.

(Not an advert for Super Strong or slating of Maxima, just used the two as work with the two and know the numbers without looking).

Cheers

Ben

Euan Innes

« Reply #19 on: 12/05/2012 at 12:08 »
Wise words from Ben as usual.
I fish a #4 for most of my fishing hence the reason that I used 3, 4, or 5lb Drennan.
3lb turns over klinks just fine at Haddo. 4lb turns over big bushy wets on a loch and 5lb does it better in a big wind.
These sizes of nylon match well with the shock absorbent characteristics of a #4. I used to have to use 6lb when I had my #7 Loomis and it really sucked at putting out little klinks - it felt more like a wire trace between line and fly. The sunk weighted patterns were fine but not the little dries.

Now for this years Assynt trip, the salty flies will mostly be tied on to 30lb Stren or some such. Flipping over BIG clousers will need big nylon.

I have used double strength and flouro nylon but it is still feckin' expensive and binning a birds nest of flouro makes me cry :z10 I like the way Drennan knots, casts and behaves. I really like the way it turns over my style of flies and at the end of the day, isn't that what it's all about?

:z1

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com