Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

bothylad

Suspended Buzzers
« on: 02/05/2012 at 00:36 »
Some advice please. I have been reading about the technique of suspending a buzzer under a dry fly such as a Klinkhammer or similar. One writer suggested that the buzzer be on a dropper directly under the dry fly. I would have thought that the buzzer should be presented  as in a normal rig with the dropper between the point fly and the main line. Any views on how best to use this technique would be appreciated.

Rob Brownfield

Re: Suspended Buzzers
« Reply #1 on: 02/05/2012 at 08:55 »
Lots of info on this technique. Nip onto Google and search for "Klink and Dink". :) or "New Zealand method dry fly"

There are a few folk on here that are far better than me at this method, but the buzzer/nymph is indeed fished "after" the dry fly so it hangs pretty much under the fly (depending on current).

Either attach the dry direct to the end of the leader then add an 18" to 24" length of line tied directly to the bend of the dry fly, and add a nymph on the end..or, as you say, fish the dry on a dropper.

Some stuff on YouTube as well.

Hope that helps a bit

Peter McCallum

« Reply #2 on: 02/05/2012 at 11:14 »
Saying that Rob on lochs the 'washing line' method uses a bouyant fly (usually a boobie :shock) on the point with buzzers or wets as droppers to keep them nearer the surface and can be made to rise and fall much like a natural. So BL use it either way as you like :cool:

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 02/05/2012 at 12:40 »
Saying that Rob on lochs the 'washing line' method uses a bouyant fly (usually a boobie :shock) on the point with buzzers or wets as droppers to keep them nearer the surface and can be made to rise and fall much like a natural. So BL use it either way as you like :cool:

Ahhh.but I had presumed it was for river fishing where the washing line creates drag on the "suspended" fly.

But I did "presume" and could be totally wrong..again  :z4 :z4

Peter McCallum

« Reply #4 on: 02/05/2012 at 13:58 »
Ahhh.but I had presumed it was for river fishing where the washing line creates drag on the "suspended" fly.

But I did "presume" and could be totally wrong..again  :z4 :z4

'Twas the 'buzzer' that made me think stillwater Rob. More likely to be a nymph on the river, certainly if I'm fishing it :wink  :grin

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #5 on: 02/05/2012 at 16:39 »
Fait dooooo's :)..But I think of a big black buzzer on the Don in the evening on the right day :)

Peter McCallum

« Reply #6 on: 02/05/2012 at 17:49 »
Mmmmmmm interesting!

bothylad

« Reply #7 on: 03/05/2012 at 01:54 »
Many thanks indeed for the tips and info. It is mainly for stillwaters rather than rivers but now that you mention it it seems a good technique for rivers as well. Certainly worth a try.

adambrain

« Reply #8 on: 04/05/2012 at 08:21 »
I'm with Rabbitangler, the washing line method on a still water can be brilliant. I tend to use at least a 10 ft leader with a klink and a good 2-3 buzzers up the line. I try to use a klink with a foam post to prevent it sinking, and the buzzers take the line down giving good presentation of the point klink.
All in all fantastic UNTILL you end up with a moumental tangle due to stupid casting.

Adam.

Burnett

« Reply #9 on: 21/04/2013 at 19:39 »
No this tred was a wee will ago but is it something like this

http://www.wildquest.co.uk/recommended-leaders-g.asp?page=89

Jim Eddie

« Reply #10 on: 21/04/2013 at 20:43 »
Alan

Yes its like the last set up.

:z18

Jim

Barry Robertson

« Reply #11 on: 27/04/2013 at 13:57 »
I would suggest a booby on the point fly of cast of buzzers as a go to first method. Also another idea would be a FAB on the top dropper then a couple of buzzers or one buzzer on the dropper/s with a booby on the point creating a washing line that will sit very high in the water.
If a boobys isnt your thing a susspender buzzer like the one below should do a turn  :z16

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com