Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

King Monkey

Help - Fishing the Don withoot waders!
« on: 03/04/2007 at 12:53 »
Beginners question here!
I'm all set for trying out running water for the first time somewhere on the Don's council beats this year...alas I have no waders.
Is there any beat that I can get away with or will I need to invest in a pair?

Cheers.

wildfisher

Re: Help - Fishing the Don withoot waders!
« Reply #1 on: 03/04/2007 at 13:55 »
Quote from: "King Monkey"
Beginners question here!
I'm all set for trying out running water for the first time somewhere on the Don's council beats this year...alas I have no waders.
Is there any beat that I can get away with or will I need to invest in a pair?

Cheers.

If fly fishing I think you will need waders for sure. Get a  pair of chesties and a wading staff. Some of the council water, especially at Alford,  is hard to fish without at least some stealthy wading. Be careful, it can be  a pig of a river to wade it – it has a lot of power and  can take you unawares -  make sure you have a wading staff.

Sandy Nelson

Help - Fishing the Don withoot waders!
« Reply #2 on: 03/04/2007 at 15:20 »
Inverurie and Kintore can be covered pretty well without waders.

In fact some of the better stretches often have the best trout at the nearside bank so casting along the edge at your feet is very effective.

That said other really good bits are only accessible by wading and as Fred says, use a staff the Don is a nasty place to wade without one.Lots of slippy rocks and sudden potholes, especially in the good bits :wink:

So waders are an advantage but not a neccessity, i'm not familiar with Alford, so couldn't advise.

Sandy

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com