Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Stuart Smith

Don't know how to stick it together
« on: 29/04/2012 at 13:32 »
Hi all.I've never built a rod before but I'm going to attempt to replace the cork on a rod the question I've got is what do u use to stick it all together?

I've got a couple of cork handles but the hole is a bit big.and the hole on the reel seat is a bit big.when I took it off(because it had started to turn) the manufacture and just wrapped paper around the blank to fill the space(nice going sharpe's of Aberdeen)

Also how do u step the cork to fit over the reel seat(I was thinking in a lathe)

Thanks Stuart

Rob Brownfield

Re: Don't know how to stick it together
« Reply #1 on: 29/04/2012 at 17:11 »
Couple of options for "filling" the gab between the blank and cork/real seat.

Easiest and quickest, which works works well is to use masking tabe to build up collars until everything slides together nicely. I leave a small 3-5mm gap between each collar to allow this to fill with glue. The other option is to us a carbon spacer, but unless you have means of turning these, they are a pain.

As for the cork going over the reel seat, you can buy a pre recessed cork ring, otherwise you need a lathe, steady hand and a very sharp and fine chiesel/cutter.

Iain Goolager

Re: Don't know how to stick it together
« Reply #2 on: 29/04/2012 at 17:33 »
Stu,

Reference recessing the cork to accept the reel seat .

What is the OD of your reel seat 'hood'?

I have broaches, with a 6mm pilot/ centring guide, which makes a decent job in literally 20 seconds, by hand.

http://www.fishingthefly.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=3705.15

Iain

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com