Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

James Abel

3 turn water knott
« on: 28/04/2012 at 20:35 »
Hi guys I use a 3 turn water knott for my droppers I have broken 3 times so far this year into fish is there a right and wrong way to tie the water knott :z8 I am still comparing gigafish and grand max broke 2 x gigafish 1x grand max  :z6 I don't like breaking lines  :mad I use a 7/8 rod and 9.? Grand max 9.9 gigafish would it make a difference if I moved up a couple of lb in line it's  :? Only 0.02 and for me would be a win win if I stopped breaking lines.I am still impressed with gigafish and would say there is not anything in it between the two of them just £14 I'm on my last spool of grand max . I have broke loads of line in trees this year and hopefully I will stop soon it must be my worst year for catching trees  :X1 thanks for any replies :z18
                All the best James

A bad day fishing is better than a good day at work!

Hamish Young

Re: 3 turn water knott
« Reply #1 on: 28/04/2012 at 22:28 »
Are you moistening the knot with saliva before tightening :?
This is a must for me and I use Grand Max or Riverge pretty much exclusively.

There are other dropper knots to consider, one dropper knot I use is a minor variant on the blood knot which I honestly can't explain without actually showing you.... so let's concentrate on the water knot.

It's back to basics I know, but a good guide to the water knot (and others) is on the Greys of Kilsyth fishing knots page:
http://www.graysofkilsyth.com/water-knot.htm

Are you joining different thicknesses and/or types of leader material :? This can be a pain, but in all cases with the water knot it is imperative you draw the knot tight evenly.

For a wee bit of added security, try adding a half hitch on the fly line end of the knot before nipping off the excess.

:z3

Euan Innes

« Reply #2 on: 28/04/2012 at 23:15 »
This is a must for me and I use Grand Max or Riverge pretty much exclusively.

Boy are you paid too much!!  :z7

H is right about saliva. Before pulling the knot tight stick it in your mouth, take it out and pull tight slowly.
The half hitch is optional but does work. Drennan sub surface works as well as other more expensive brands with this knot.... :wink

The application of spit can sort out many problems on lifes journey.  :X2

:z1

James Abel

« Reply #3 on: 29/04/2012 at 02:46 »
I do use saliva on all knotts and use the same Strenth of line ,I'm not that technical when I fish changing line diameter that's for the pros :X2 I do try and make the knott pull at the same time but will take more care to make sure it is exact I will try the half hitch and have a look at Drennan sub surface .what do you think about adding a couple of extra pounds onto the line? I can only dream about fishing for the next couple of months if I'm lucky :mad I will need to get to sleep first thanks for the replies  :z16

James Abel

« Reply #4 on: 29/04/2012 at 07:23 »
Soundmixer check out the diameter of gigafish0.22 is nearly12lb strong and thinner than grand max it's £5.40 for 100 meters the postage is around £4 so I ordered 2 last time next time I will order 3 and still be around the price of 100 meters of grand max  :X1I'm not ordering any more and have been fishing it since Baz put me onto it 3 or so years ago. Don't knock it till you've tried it Baz :X2

Hamish Young

« Reply #5 on: 29/04/2012 at 09:20 »
I think Magnus may have reviewed the gigafish leader material in FF&FT recently, will go have a look and see what he said as it's probably a fair review.
Not a material I've tried as yet. If you can go stronger for the same diameter of material and it's not too soft then it would seem to be a no brainer to buy some and try it out  :cool:

Boy are you paid too much!!  :z7

Negative - I wish it were so - I just buy the material I like and worry about the horrifying expense of it all later  :z7

:z3

James Abel

« Reply #6 on: 29/04/2012 at 11:19 »
There was a review in trout fisherman and it was good that's how I got onto it cheaper thinner and stronger  :wink what do you think about going up another size 0.22 for 11.7lb would that make a difference even if my knotts were a bit crappy Riverge is 2.1  for 9.5 lb iv sold it to myself 2.2 lb for 0.01 plenty time to get that order in between that and better knotts should be less broken lines  :z12

Stuart Smith

« Reply #7 on: 29/04/2012 at 13:18 »
I used a three turn water knot and had the same proble now I'm using airflow sight free in 6lb it's so good I'm getting lazy and only doing a two turn water knot never had a broken dropper yet and that's been about 3 years of use

Stuart

James Abel

« Reply #8 on: 29/04/2012 at 13:59 »
I just ordered 3x100meters of 11.7lb 0.22mm £20.05 when you see how thin and strong not to mention the price hopefully even when I'm catching trees I should have enough do the rest of the year I spoke myself into it  :z12

Barry Robertson

« Reply #9 on: 29/04/2012 at 15:18 »
I just ordered 3x100meters of 11.7lb 0.22mm £20.05 when you see how thin and strong not to mention the price hopefully even when I'm catching trees I should have enough do the rest of the year I spoke myself into it  :z12

I bought a box of 5 spools of 9.5lbs grand max in january and they are finished already. I either fish far to much or am very wastefull . I can count on one hand how many times i have been broken and honestly cant fault the stuff. I wont be changing fluro anytime soon!

Jim Eddie

« Reply #10 on: 29/04/2012 at 15:45 »
I've been using this Dropper knot for years and find it fine and very quick and easy to tie

http://www.ukswff.co.uk/Tips_Dropper.shtml

:z18

Jim

James Abel

« Reply #11 on: 29/04/2012 at 16:42 »
I ordered grand max last year on the net only ordered 1 spool and I got 3 extra i couldn't have believed my luck :z4 some company in guernsey anyway I'm on my last 1 now and have been using gigafish and grandmax there is not much in it that I can see you can't beat the German gear ! Anyway iv got lots of time to tie up new line and master new knotts just a shame I won't be fishing for a long time  :mad I'm surprised nobody else has tried gigafish :X1 just remember Baz you can't teach a old dog new tricks  :z7 it really is worth a try have you got any new flies for me to try you have not gave me anything for ages I put a special order in we Ian hopefully I will get next week when I'm hame all the best j :z13

Barry Robertson

« Reply #12 on: 29/04/2012 at 16:58 »
I ordered grand max last year on the net only ordered 1 spool and I got 3 extra i couldn't have believed my luck :z4 some company in guernsey anyway I'm on my last 1 now and have been using gigafish and grandmax there is not much in it that I can see you can't beat the German gear ! Anyway iv got lots of time to tie up new line and master new knotts just a shame I won't be fishing for a long time  :mad I'm surprised nobody else has tried gigafish :X1 just remember Baz you can't teach a old dog new tricks  :z7 it really is worth a try have you got any new flies for me to try you have not gave me anything for ages I put a special order in we Ian hopefully I will get next week when I'm hame all the best j :z13

The flies you buy James will be far superior to the mince i will give you  :wink

James Abel

« Reply #13 on: 29/04/2012 at 20:07 »
Baz don't put yourself down iv still go some of the mince you gave me  :z4 on  the beatrice mind you your humongous I have seen better and I won't mention the deer hair blobs :lol some of your buzzers were ok though  :X1

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com