Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Sandy Nelson

My New Boo
« on: 28/04/2012 at 17:40 »
Its a bit cheeky putting this here, as i didn't make the rod.
I had to finish it off properly because despite the builder being superb at what he does, his idea of finishing and mine are a bit different.

So here is my new Boo, it is 7'6" for a 4wt and if you look very carefully you will see why i didn't make it myself :wink and the other reason... you cannot see :wink, neither can I, but i do know it was done as i got to supervise, albeit by E-mail :roll

I will not be any more lucid as to the details, but suffice to say it was very labour intensive and is very clever (well i think so :z7)
The resulting rod is a little gem and the benefits have already been passed on to a certain lucky individual (you know who you are :wink) Ironically my one was finished after his!!!! (all told, it took 18 months :shock)

This is all your getting, but if you meet me down the river you might get a better look :z7 Don't expect a shot though :z4

the devils in the detail :wink

That keep you happy Matt :z16

Cheers

Sandy

Iain Goolager

Re: My New Boo
« Reply #1 on: 28/04/2012 at 18:13 »
Sandy,

Still liking the transparent silk wraps & finished off with a couple of turns of highlight nice  :z16

Hopefully levels will be back to 'normal' soon and you'll get on the river with her.

Have you a mind for a line & reel for her yet?

Iain

Noel Kelly

« Reply #2 on: 28/04/2012 at 21:59 »
Sandy,

Still liking the transparent silk wraps & finished off with a couple of turns of highlight nice  :z16

Hopefully levels will be back to 'normal' soon and you'll get on the river with her.

Have you a mind for a line & reel for her yet?

Iain

"her" he he he you need to get out more iain.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #3 on: 28/04/2012 at 23:59 »
Fair bit of filler in the cork Sandy and whoever built it could have applied the cuprinol evenly, there's some fair streaks been left when the staining was done.  Other than those little issues it looks O.K for a bit of dried out vegetation  :z4

Ben

Iain Cameron

« Reply #4 on: 29/04/2012 at 08:22 »
very nice indeed. silk line on order too?? :-)

Hamish Young

« Reply #5 on: 29/04/2012 at 09:14 »
Fair bit of filler in the cork Sandy and whoever built it could have applied the cuprinol evenly, there's some fair streaks been left when the staining was done.  Other than those little issues it looks O.K for a bit of dried out vegetation  :z4

You put that so much better than me  :z7 :z4

Nevertheless, although split cane rods aren't really my bag, I'm intrigued to discover what it is that you've had done to this one (and its twin, presumably) Sandy that has seen an 18 month production cycle  :shock Presumably we have moved beyond the split cane TCR........ and on to something a wee bit more quirky :? :wink

If you're looking for a suitable vintage reel.... I have a very nice Dingley D3 reel that would go nicely on that rod  :wink

:z3

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #6 on: 29/04/2012 at 10:27 »
As you can see, i didn't do the cork :z7 but can't be arsed changing it yet.
I had to refinish the blank to get it glass smooth, but as to the cuprinol, if you look very carefully you will see something is missing which is why you get the cuprinol effect :wink something else is missing as well but we can't see that that :wink

It is something quite different from the other experiments and all the better for it, its sister rod is not a twin but a slightly younger and less complicated thing which is not so far removed from its forebear as i had thought it might turn out :z7
Lucky bugger who got it, benefitted from a lot of effort and time and money, guess thats the way it goes :roll.

I've two reels that suit it well, one classic CFO111 and a Super 4N depending on my mood, so far it seems to love the GT90 and the DT4, so now all i need ot do is get down the river when the water clears up and get it bent :z16

Sandy

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #7 on: 29/04/2012 at 11:17 »
Hmmm..clear silk..or no silk??? I know it can be done and i know it takes a long time to do.

I have a Cane rod in mind, but I have a feeling its not going to cost as much...by a loooong way :)

Ben Dixon

« Reply #8 on: 29/04/2012 at 16:05 »
but as to the cuprinol, if you look very carefully you will see something is missing which is why you get the cuprinol effect :wink something else is missing as well but we can't see that that :wink

Sandy

There's no knots in it Sandy  :z4

Ben Dixon

« Reply #9 on: 29/04/2012 at 18:02 »
Hmmm..clear silk..or no silk???

Looks like bug bond to me  :z4

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #10 on: 29/04/2012 at 20:23 »
Looks like bug bond to me  :z4
:X

White pearsalls and some time and effort :z16

Sandy

Irvine Ross

« Reply #11 on: 30/04/2012 at 08:31 »
I can't see any nodes in the split cane.

Have they been cut out and the pieces scarf jointed back together? :z8

Affy bonnie, but I'd be too nervous of breaking it to ever let it out of the house.

Irvine

Matt Henderson

« Reply #12 on: 30/04/2012 at 09:40 »
Very nice Sandy!  Might try that white silk busines on my next build.

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #13 on: 30/04/2012 at 11:50 »
no fly keeper ring :z16

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #14 on: 30/04/2012 at 12:45 »
I know whats missing...a thread for the reel seat...nothing like gaffer taping your reel to the butt..saves weight..lol

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com