« Reply #30 on: 10/10/2012 at 17:52 »
Cheers Iain

May just take you up on that sometime :z16

Cheers

Sandy

Rob Brownfield

Re: Switch Rods
« Reply #31 on: 11/10/2012 at 09:52 »
You can have a shoot of my weedy 5 weight too if you like. Ignore the build, it was a rush job!!..lol

Iain Cameron

« Reply #32 on: 11/10/2012 at 10:05 »
Cheers Iain

May just take you up on that sometime :z16

you'd be V welcome.
Just about to hit the river now with the switch rod.... i foresee another blank... I hate salmon fishing :-)

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #33 on: 11/10/2012 at 17:58 »
i foresee another blank...

This might also be my problem...... :z7

Sandy

Mike Barrio

« Reply #34 on: 11/10/2012 at 18:23 »
But are you two talking about the same type of blank? :z4  :z4  :z4  :z4

Cheers
Mike

Iain Cameron

« Reply #35 on: 12/10/2012 at 08:09 »
But are you two talking about the same type of blank?

Yup!

I enjoyed a couple of hours on the water, but I'm aware that I approach the salmon fishing half-heartedly. In comparison with some recent trout visits where I was 100% confident of catching fish....

But, the switch rod again proved to be a nice light d-hander - the water was running low, so having a 6wt line land was a lot less noisy than a 9/10wt line. And a lot lighter to handle too; it has a role.

cheers

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #36 on: 15/10/2012 at 17:08 »
So then lets say i have a rod rated 430-470grns and its classed as a 6/7 wt.
I'm going to use in the sea/estuary and for the river.

I'm sure the Barrio Switch when it is released, will meet any requirements for a floater, but i want to have a multi tip line with an intermediate for the river and fast sinking tips for the sea. I guess this will meet the brick on a bit of string analagy :z4
Bearing in mind its usually windy. (i'm assuming i have 2 reels so i'd use 2 lines, 1 being the Barrio floater)

Has anyone else crossed this bridge?

I can see Rio Skagit flight versitip in a 450grn, A Rio Scandi Versitip in a 425grn and a SA Mastery Skagit extreme Multitip in 440grn,

Any thoughts or experiences? Could be an interesting winter :z4 :z4

Sandy

Ben Dixon

« Reply #37 on: 15/10/2012 at 19:08 »
So then lets say i have a rod rated 430-470grns and its classed as a 6/7 wt.
I'm going to use in the sea/estuary and for the river.

I'm sure the Barrio Switch when it is released, will meet any requirements for a floater, but i want to have a multi tip line with an intermediate for the river and fast sinking tips for the sea. I guess this will meet the brick on a bit of string analagy :z4
Bearing in mind its usually windy. (i'm assuming i have 2 reels so i'd use 2 lines, 1 being the Barrio floater)

Has anyone else crossed this bridge?

I can see Rio Skagit flight versitip in a 450grn, A Rio Scandi Versitip in a 425grn and a SA Mastery Skagit extreme Multitip in 440grn,

Any thoughts or experiences? Could be an interesting winter :z4 :z4

Sandy

Hi Sandy,

What do you mean by fast sinking tips?  Are you talking about level T14 stuff or are you talking polyleaders?  The Barrio switch (to be called lite Spey) will carry polys and tubes just fine.  Revision I of the #7 will cast a 10' 7.0 ips Rio salmon polyleader and 1" Cu tube but is tamed nicely for full floating duties with a 15' thick butt salmon leader.  We should get a play with it and a DTX sometime soon.  I'm tied up for the next two weekends but should be free the following one I think.

Unless you are really needing to dredge the bottom with big flies & monster tips in a fair current a proper Skagit will be overkill.  I have tried a 500 grain Skagit on a #8 switch and it was OTT, rod would cast it but it was a bit on the lumpy side.  I use the Scandi Versitip in a #5 on a Helios 108, it is nice but, the 10' type VI tip does not get deep enough and Rio do not make a type VIII for such light lines.  Going to make something for my line or maybe try an Airflo tip.  See if you can make the Barrio carry the gear, if it is a problem for you then think about the Skagit, Skagits do not really overhead unless you are Rich Knoles.

Cheers

Ben

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #38 on: 15/10/2012 at 20:37 »
The Barrio switch (to be called lite Spey) will carry polys and tubes just fine.  Revision I of the #7 will cast a 10' 7.0 ips Rio salmon polyleader and 1" Cu tube but is tamed nicely for full floating duties with a 15' thick butt salmon leader. 

Was kinda thinking you might say something like that :wink
Cool, so two "Lite spey" lines with one cut to take polytips and one left full, might be the way forward then :z16

I think a playing session is coming on, bit busy with work for a few weeks myself, so no rush.

I love Autumn, the nice crisp air definately gets my creative edge stimulated, some rather nice flies floating of the vice as well. More on that later :wink

Sandy

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #39 on: 16/10/2012 at 16:47 »
Skagits do not really overhead unless you are Rich Knoles.

;D ;D ;D

Mike Barrio

« Reply #40 on: 31/10/2012 at 17:08 »
A bit damp for playing with toys this afternoon Sandy :z6 but I think you had fun trying the gear :cool:

Cheers
Mike

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #41 on: 31/10/2012 at 18:11 »
I rather enjoyed it, cheers.

Got the old mind working though :z6 Swine  :z4 :z4 :z4

Sandy

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #42 on: 25/07/2013 at 09:32 »
Wanted to revive this one.

Anyone else switched to Switch this year?

I was out with mine on the Lower Dee and had great fun popping size 12 salmon doubles into the fast run on the Beltie Pool. A difficult wind ment the Switch allowed me to cast off my left shoulder without any drama whilst I would have struggled with a single handed rod.

I want something a little more tippy/longer for "proper" sea trout fishing so I am seriously looking at the PacBay Quickline Switch blank in either #6 or#7. Getting great reviews in the US and at £99 for the blank here, it seems a really good deal.

Graeme Inglis

« Reply #43 on: 30/11/2013 at 21:09 »
Hi I have been using switch rods for about 3 seasons now, I started with a guideline 11' with a Beulah switch line.  but got the option of a Batson 10' 6" kit which I built up and that suited me better than the Guideline until I found the reason why, I have long arms and the Guideline butt was a bit short for my normal grip space so last winter I added a few corks to the top and it was much more comfortable.

Most of my switch rod use is on the South Esk and nearly always for Spey casting, this year with the low water the fish were still coming in but only lying in the deeper pools, I was using the Guideline with the Beulah line and getting nothing.  I realised that the Beulah line is bright yellow, despite a longish cast and a clear braided leader.  A change to my Batson with its blue Airflow head saw me connecting with fish.  The Beulah had a waterproof felt tip pen over it when I got home!

But I digress, the switch rod is a favourite of mine, especially the little Batson a great wee rod that cost me £120 for the kit , you can cast all day with nominal effort, its ideal for the smaller salmon and sea trout rivers where tree cover means roll or spey type casts.

Graeme

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #44 on: 30/11/2013 at 21:33 »
Graeme,
unfortunately I do not fish many small rivers and although a switch seemed like a great idea for low water and small flies I test casted some at a gathering at Haddo and everything was going well until I started pushing it for long casts. Ben then informed me that these rods are not designed for this sort of distance which was a bummer as I thought I might have found the perfect summer combination for the sea trout and occasional grilse but not for where I usually fish. if you are on smaller rivers then the switch outfit would be my first choice. However where I spend most of my summers I would probably be asking too much of the switch in terms of distance.

Eddie. :z18

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com