Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Sandy Nelson

Re: Switch Rods
« Reply #15 on: 07/10/2012 at 16:53 »
Been hiding all year :roll

but things starting to normalise now (typical that the season is almost over) but i've probably done the next 4 years worth of decorating and repairs in 4 months :z16 so hopefully that means lots of fishing.

So back to the topic as before.

What has everyone been using these switch rods for and do i want one for the sea-trout in my back yard.
I'll be fishing with wee doubles in 12-16 on a sink tip, and small streamers in the estuary.
I was thinking of going for a 12'6" 7wt double hander or a 11'6" 6wt switch to deal with these, my 9ft 7wt was harder work than i expected and a double hander would have been great, however i need to keep it light for the small flies and the fish are mostly around the 2lb mark so might even go to a 5 or 6.
I would love to know what sort of experience people have had and what lines have been working best

Cheers :z18

Sandy

Iain Goolager

« Reply #16 on: 07/10/2012 at 17:12 »
Welcome back spidey,

Was wiggling a few of switch rods yesterday but I've no experience of fishing them. Will be revisiting them next year but the way levels are at the moment if I had one then that's what I'd be using for Salmon, most prob'ly in a 6/7 wt.
Isn't there a switch line being designed locally at the mo?

Iain

Mike Barrio

« Reply #17 on: 07/10/2012 at 18:22 »
Hi Sandy :z16

I have a nice switch rod that you can try ..... and a prototype line to go with it too :wink

Cheers
Mike

Euan Innes

« Reply #18 on: 07/10/2012 at 18:35 »
Iain Cameron has one and I had a quick go on the Beauly this summer, and I liked it.
I'd still prefer a single hander but I get the appeal. It threw a lovely line and no effort was involved.
I'm sure Iain will be along shortly to tell us all about it.

:z1

Ben Dixon

« Reply #19 on: 07/10/2012 at 20:19 »
Hi Sandy,

an 11' '#7 should be fine if you are talking about the estuary or lower river near where you live.  I wouldn't bother going any lighter there as the wind can be a pig and to be honest in a coastal wind situation I would still rather be on a suitable single handed set up.  How far are you needing to cast from feet to fly, what depth will you be wading, and how much space will you have behind you and how critical is the presentation?

I use mine for small river salmon, sea trout anywhere I am swinging and swinging streamers for trout although my #7 Helios is a bit heavy for this. Lines..... I like the Beulah Elixir although it is not perfect, it is O.K. Rio Scandi Short Verstip is not bad if you need to sling gear and don't need a big throw, a Skagit short is also useful.  Goes back to my answer on previous page really, best line is the one that suits the situation you will be in at any one time, just make sure it is a two handed weight line if that is how you will be using the rod.

I'm liking the Barrio Switch line prototype I am playing with just now, smoother than the Beulah.

Cheers

Ben

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #20 on: 07/10/2012 at 20:35 »
I was more interested to hear how people have been getting on with the ones they have been trying, and what they might be using them for.

Personally, On the trips i've made ,the estuary would be ideal with a 12'6 7wt, i found my 9ft 7wt real heavy going after a few hours, with the wind. I've been wading to waist depth and casting up to 80ft when possible, further would have been nice :roll
But hitting the water behind me was a big problem :z10

What i was thinking for the switch was further upstream behind the house where the river is about 40-50ft across and swimming size 12-16 wee doubles on a sink tip will be the order of the day. Wind isn't much of a problem, i've been using a 10ft 6wt with lots of success, just thought it would be nice to have a double hander to do the same job.

Sandy

Ben Dixon

« Reply #21 on: 07/10/2012 at 21:32 »
I was more interested to hear how people have been getting on with the ones they have been trying, and what they might be using them for.

Personally, On the trips i've made ,the estuary would be ideal with a 12'6 7wt, i found my 9ft 7wt real heavy going after a few hours, with the wind. I've been wading to waist depth and casting up to 80ft when possible, further would have been nice :roll
But hitting the water behind me was a big problem :z10

What i was thinking for the switch was further upstream behind the house where the river is about 40-50ft across and swimming size 12-16 wee doubles on a sink tip will be the order of the day. Wind isn't much of a problem, i've been using a 10ft 6wt with lots of success, just thought it would be nice to have a double hander to do the same job.

Sandy

Estuary at that wading depth, Skagit short or other brick like piece of string will get you there on a 11' #7 Access or similar with a two handed Spey cast only.  If you need more range or light gear choose a more refined line and change direction with a Spey then go into an overhead for delivery.

Further up, sounds like it could be switch territory but, if you are doing well with a 10' #6 then I wouldn't spend the money. A proper DHD will probably feel cumbersome at that range feet to fly, if you really want to go two handed (or need an excuse for a new stick) then a switch would be the way to go.

Rods I like are Mackenzie 11'2" #7/8, Access or Helios 11' (all weights are sweet) and the Vision Cult is also a nice switch stick.

Cheers

Ben

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #22 on: 08/10/2012 at 09:53 »
I have to ask, size 14 doubles on a 7 weight Switch?

I am using that size of hook on my 5 weight Switch and even then I have felt that the hooks were under a lot of pressure on a long line.

Mr Meiser, perhaps the godfather of Switch, rates his switch rods thus..
3/4 All game fish from 1-8 pounds
4/5 3-12pounds
5/6 5-15 pounds
6/7 to 15 pounds
7/8 to 20 pounds
8/9 to 30 pounds and
9/10 to 60 pounds.

I went for a 5 weight because I felt it was soft enough for small hooks, but strong enough incase I got a big sea trout.

Just a thought and in no way meant to undermine anyones thoughts on line weights/suitability.

ps. I got the 7 weight 9 foot access for the estuary..love it with a shooting head

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #23 on: 08/10/2012 at 10:23 »
Things get lost as we go :z6

The 7wt is for the estuary and streamers and/or salmon flies, most likely a 12-13ft double hander anyway.
The wee doubles was to be a 5 or a 6. Although that was just my own musings on a use for them, my single handers are managing just fine

I was more interested to see what everyone was doing with theirs, to gauge whether it was worth a winter project :wink

Thanks for the info tho :z16

Sandy

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #24 on: 08/10/2012 at 11:04 »
Things what I do with mine:

I leave it laying on the rod making table in my spare room as I have not had a chance to get out since July :(

Things what I did with mine:

Used it for swinging 0.5 and 1" plastic tubes in very low, clear water.
Swinging sea trout doubles and watching Ian catch all the fish.
Casting from difficult banks when I could not get in the river due to its depth.
Enjoying a very very relaxed way of fishing when I could not be bothered with double hauling and the likes.
Found it great when high banks behind stopped me from noremal casts.

Things what I want to do with mine:

Use is for Czech Nymphing in the winter for Grayling..should be interesting.
Get an 8 weight version for purely over head casting large flies at Pike. (for a laugh)

Things I have learnt with mine:

A 12'6" "proper" salmon double hander is better for "salmon fishing" with large flies and sink/sink-tip lines on small rivers.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #25 on: 08/10/2012 at 22:46 »
I have to ask, size 14 doubles on a 7 weight Switch?

I am using that size of hook on my 5 weight Switch and even then I have felt that the hooks were under a lot of pressure on a long line.

Mr Meiser, perhaps the godfather of Switch, rates his switch rods thus..

Depends upon the distance I need to cast to some extent too Rob, I would probably use the same rod for #14 doubles as I may for 1.25" Cu tubes but the line would probably be different.  Things to a large extent start with the fly for me then leader, line, rod etc however there are often variables that destroy the simplicity of things!  In the UK, rod stiffness is rarely an issue or that much of a consideration.

Things get lost as we go

Sandy, things are really pointing towards you not needing a switch rod but they are useful things to have lying around and it is always nice to have new and an excess of toys  :cool:  Build one if you have an itch that needs to be scratched!

Cheers

Ben

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #26 on: 09/10/2012 at 08:25 »
Things to a large extent start with the fly for me then leader, line, rod etc however there are often variables that destroy the simplicity of things! 

Us poor mortals tend to have more flies than rods, unlike yourself :)

Ben Dixon

« Reply #27 on: 09/10/2012 at 09:36 »
I have only one switch rod Rob!!

Ben

Matt Henderson

« Reply #28 on: 09/10/2012 at 10:33 »
I'm finding that I really like my 13ft #8/9 rod on the Don and in the summer will use on the Dee too. What it doesn't like is an intermediate line. But a full floating head, fast sink tip and copper tube no problem although you may well have to roll it up first. Much lighter than the 15 footer, and even in my hands can make a delicate cast. Whether you could over head cast it I'll leave to somebody other than me to try! You're welcome to have a shot if you wish.

Cheers Matt

Iain Cameron

« Reply #29 on: 09/10/2012 at 17:44 »
I was more interested to see what everyone was doing with theirs, to gauge whether it was worth a winter project :wink

Hi Sandy

I've a 6-wt, 11 foot Access Switch.

Its role was to sit somewhere between a 14' double hander 9/10wt, and the single handed 5 weights I use.

I wanted a light-weight double-hander for areas where overhead casting wasn't an option, and having been doing a lot of single-handed spey stuff, I wanted something d/hand to add to the options.

In truth, I could probably live without it but I love it and it has its place... but *if* I was doing a lot more chasing of grilse and salmon in low summer waters, then a light weight d-hander rod would be a very very useful tool, i would say. Light d-hander is the focus, not the 'switch' element.

It's possible that it will come into its own now, with low waters, so that I can aim for back end salmon with smallish flies and a light polyleader & leader. I accept that 6-wt could be waaaay too light for salmon, if it's a lump. Be fun finding out...

Casting wise - it is great fun to play with and I think the lightness encourages mucking about with casting. Which is a good thing!

Distance wise - I can cover the about the same distances with a 5wt single-hand spey cast and suitable line as with my 6wt switch, switch makes the spey slightly easier (but I'm sure a proficient caster would say different about the distances) - but again, maybe a 7 or 8 wt would be different.

Bottom line - if you think you want a light weight double handed rod for low water/small flies/fun - it's great!

you're welcome to have a play with it, just ask
cheers
iain

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com