Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rod Mackay

Lochs / Fisheries around Elgin
« on: 03/04/2007 at 11:11 »
Hi Folks,

I'm planning a days fishing next monday somewhere in the Elgin area (boat fishing preferably).  Despite being born there I'm not sure where the decent places to fish are.  :oops:

Any recommendations on lochs / fisheries that might be fishing well at the moment would be appreciated.

Cheers

Rod

Hamish Young

« Reply #1 on: 03/04/2007 at 11:34 »
Browns or 'bows Rod :?:

Rod Mackay

« Reply #2 on: 03/04/2007 at 13:58 »
Hi Hamish,

Either works for me if I'm being honest.  I was looking at Loch Indorb but the estate said it fishes better after April. :?:

Cheers

Rod

wildfisher

« Reply #3 on: 03/04/2007 at 15:00 »
Lochindorb does indeed fish better later, but have had some decent sport on early, warm  April days. After the mild winter it might be OK.  Bank fishing  / float tubing there is free.

What about loch na bo?  It fishes well early. No Sunday fishing there though.  Boat only  Or loch park – boat only again but Sunday fishing allowed. Book both in advance

For info see

na bo
http://www.wild-fishing-scotland.co.uk/database/locationdetail.php?loc=11

park
http://www.wild-fishing-scotland.co.uk/database/locationdetail.php?loc=12

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #4 on: 03/04/2007 at 15:22 »
Milbuies between Elgin and Rothes is supposed to be interesting,Not sure if its open yet though.

If Bows, then i suppose it has to be glen of rothes.

I've fished Na bo, lovely place well worth a look.

going to play with new toys? :z4

Sandy

Rod Mackay

« Reply #5 on: 03/04/2007 at 15:25 »
Hi Fred,

Thanks for the info.  Loch na Bo looks interesting!

Cheers

Rod

wildfisher

« Reply #6 on: 03/04/2007 at 15:29 »
Sandy,

Jim, the keeper / ranger / can't remember his full title at Milbuies  is a really nice chap, very helpful. It is a rainbow fishery though and very narrow – probably about ½ width of Haddo  over most of its length. Very sheltered, very shallow, good boats – boat only. There is also a brown trout fishery at Glen Latterach (sp?)  stocked,  but with wild fish too. Very windy and exposed. Permit info from Milbuies

Rod Mackay

« Reply #7 on: 03/04/2007 at 15:38 »
Hi Sandy,

Used to walk round Millbuis with the dog when I was a nipper - it's a nice spot.  Looks like it's coming down to either Lochindorb or Loch na Bo though.   Which do you think gives the best chance of good sport at this time of year?

How did you guess I'd be off to play with new toys? :z4  :z4  :z4

2 new rods to play with, how often does that happen! :shock:

Will be along at Haddo all day on Friday 13th if you are around.

Cheers  

Rod

wildfisher

« Reply #8 on: 03/04/2007 at 15:44 »
Quote from: "Rod Mackay"
Hi Fred,

Thanks for the info.  Loch na Bo looks interesting!

Cheers

Rod

Rod,

As Sandy said, na bo is a nice spot. All wild trout  with a decent average size – probably  ½ pound but it is rare not to catch a few at ¾ to the 1 lb mark and there is also a chance of something bigger. Try the far end round the back of the eroded island!

Park is weird. It lies over limestone and is very fertile and  weedy. Imagine a big version of Haddo and you will have visualised it. The far end is  mostly weed free but the big fish  are in gaps the weeds. At Park the average is  ¾ to 1 lb. It is a fair row up to the far end – about 1 mile.

Only problem with Park is that the adventure centre (who sell the permits) runs canoeing courses from time to time. I don’t normally see canoes as any kind of problem to be honest, on the river they just wave and drift by. However, on Park they would be for sure, it's just too small to accommodate both at the  same time. There are 2 boats.

Rod Mackay

« Reply #9 on: 03/04/2007 at 15:53 »
Thanks again Fred for all the info. :cool:

I wll have a chat with my fishing buddy later but I think Loch na Bo gets my vote.

Cheers

Rod

Rod Mackay

« Reply #10 on: 05/04/2007 at 09:31 »
Hi Folks,

I've been trying to contact David Kinloch at Loch na Bo for a couple of days with no result.  Does anyone have an alternate number (mobile?) for him.

Cheers

Rod

Hamish Young

« Reply #11 on: 05/04/2007 at 15:08 »
Oddly enough, also having some difficulty with getting hold of Na Bo.
Hmmmm - I sense a 'phone call to Mr L coming on  :idea:

Kevin Moss

lochs and fisheries in elgin New
« Reply #12 on: 05/04/2007 at 22:40 »
Loch na bo was fishing hard today they are not quite as active yet, 7 people up today and as far as I'm led to believe only one fish caught but that could be down to a number of things. Very nice place and some nice fish in it and sport can be very good. glen latterach opens on 14th april and as you say tickets from jim Mitchell at millbuies. Millbuies is now open and fishing ok at times and the scenery is nice was there on saturday myself and blanked but enjoyed it all the same son had 2 fish and another boat had 4 fish ,weed isn't as bad yet but its early season. again it is a nice place and relaxing. Loch in dorb is open now as well but not spoke to anyone who has been up yet. then i suppose you have the glen of rothes which you can read reports for this. Depends what you want, boats millbuies and loch na bo, i can get a number for davy if you want it give me a call if you get no joy.Suppose thats all the info i have. all offer good fishing and its down to conditions on the day. I Suppose

Hamish Young

« Reply #13 on: 06/04/2007 at 07:39 »
That's a lot of supposition  :z4

Kevin Moss

« Reply #14 on: 06/04/2007 at 20:56 »
i suppose your right hamish

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com