Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Michael Buchan

Machar Pool
« on: 20/04/2012 at 09:46 »
Does anybody know how i would stand taking my kayak onto the Machar pool?

I have never fished it before and as i fish by myself most of the time thought it would be much safer anchoring the Kayak up and fishing from it rather than risk sinking up to my arse in mud  :shock

Cheers

Michael

Rob Brownfield

Re: Machar Pool
« Reply #1 on: 20/04/2012 at 10:34 »
Interesting one. I presume you are ADAA? I would run it past the committee first via the ADAA forum.

I do not think it is written in the rules as such, but I believe fishing form a boat is not allowed on any ADAA water except Parkhill Loch.

Michael Buchan

« Reply #2 on: 20/04/2012 at 10:48 »
Thanks Rob  :z16, Yes i joined the ADAA this year so been enjoying exploring some new water.

I will run it by the ADAA forum see what they say.

Michael

Iain Cameron

« Reply #3 on: 20/04/2012 at 11:36 »
hi michael

the club rules (http://adaa.org.uk/commClubrules.php) do say:

"The following are not permitted ...  ... boat fishing"

so I guess that would rule you out.

given the mostly soft/silty bottom, i'm not even sure if you would be able to anchor there anyways.

Iain Cameron

« Reply #4 on: 20/04/2012 at 11:51 »
rather than risk sinking up to my arse in mud  :shock

more usefully... the edges of the pool are mostly very silty, but... there is a deep channel that runs up the middle of the pool, and that channel is *not* far out - at low tide, you can almost be standing right in the channel.

you will sink in the silt up to your ankles or deeper, but as long as you don't wade out too far/too deep into the silt, you will be OK.

My advice would be to go there at low tide - it's an area that floods or drains with the tides - and do some recon to get a feel for the safe/dodgy bits.  At low tide, you'll also be able to see the line that the main channel follows, so you'll see that you don't need (and should not try) to wade up to your armpits

cheers
iain

Jim Eddie

« Reply #5 on: 20/04/2012 at 12:55 »
more usefully... the edges of the pool are mostly very silty, but... there is a deep channel that runs up the middle of the pool, and that channel is *not* far out - at low tide, you can almost be standing right in the channel.

you will sink in the silt up to your ankles or deeper, but as long as you don't wade out too far/too deep into the silt, you will be OK.

My advice would be to go there at low tide - it's an area that floods or drains with the tides - and do some recon to get a feel for the safe/dodgy bits.  At low tide, you'll also be able to see the line that the main channel follows, so you'll see that you don't need (and should not try) to wade up to your armpits

cheers
iain

Also take a wading staff.

:z18

Jim

Iain Cameron

« Reply #6 on: 20/04/2012 at 13:07 »
also take a pal to pull you out... :-)

Michael Buchan

« Reply #7 on: 20/04/2012 at 13:11 »
Cheers guys  :z16, just whacked it on to the ADAA forum before seeing the replies.  Guess  that rules it out was just a thought.

Will give the pool a bash at low tide sometime on foot probably later in the year.

Michael

PS if anyone fancies a go give me a shout

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #8 on: 20/04/2012 at 14:08 »
you don't need (and should not try) to wade up to your armpits

For you, thats 11 feet deep!..us "normal" people its about 3 feet!

Noel Kelly

« Reply #9 on: 20/04/2012 at 16:12 »
Cheers guys  :z16, just whacked it on to the ADAA forum before seeing the replies.  Guess  that rules it out was just a thought.

Will give the pool a bash at low tide sometime on foot probably later in the year.

Michael

PS if anyone fancies a go give me a shout

Me me me but I have never fished it either.

Michael Buchan

« Reply #10 on: 20/04/2012 at 16:41 »
Cool Noel  :z16 Ill see you Wednesday at the scale thing we can sort something out.

Iain Cameron

« Reply #11 on: 20/04/2012 at 17:45 »
it's also a good place for right-handers to practice the Flip & Duck cast...

No special gear needed, just take your usual rod & lines.

Make your backcast as usual.
As you make the forward cast, the ever present downstream and into your face 'breeze' will collect your line and propel your flies at your head/face/ears at scary speed.
At this point, and the timing is crucial, you must yell "Flip!!" [1] and duck quickly into a crouch position.

If you time it right, the line will shoot over your head and land nowhere near where you wanted it to.
If you mis-time it, well... wear a hat and praise the barbless hook.

tight lines... it can get a bit windy out there :-)
i'll head out there again in the next couple of weeks, let me know when you're going

cheers
iain

[1] You may substitute Flip for a stronger word of your choosing.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com