Fishing The Fly Forum, based in Aberdeenshire,  Scotland

Noel kelly

Re: Tube Gathering
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2012, 20:56:12 PM »
You miss my point Hamish

I dont have aproblem with any fishery banning float tubes. That is the fisheries right.

What I have a problem with is forum members calling for a fishery to be closed when they obviously dont know what they are talking about.

Busy decorating this evening so only the occasional minute to look in here.
Quickly want to say I have no axe to grind with your club and I wish ye all the best. Dont know much about ye tbh although i do know a few guys who were and maybe still are members. However I am pissed off that my local float tube venue haddo is now not available and I guess won't be this year.

I have seen argulus before but not in the uk and it was in a wild fishery. One or two on an occasional fish.

Now please correct me if I am wrong but I have always been led to believe that the only way to effectively deal with an infestation like your club water is experiencing is to drain the loch and leave fallow for a period. Thus ensuring all eggs die.

mac_the_dog

« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2012, 21:40:52 PM »
According to the ecologists and enviromental agency it is one way but they recommended the way we are doing it just now. Lower the lake,dig out round the bank and do not stock in April and May. Also no more catch and release. Catch and release is not as enviromentally friendly on a rainbow water as I once thought. Argulus is a UK parasite and is in most waters, just in small numbers. Pitfour has an outbreak only. Its not the plaque. Reasonable measures will bring it back under control.

Also Pitfour is not the only water in Aberdeenshire, I read on fly fishing forums that ythan valley had Argulus.  Look under Argulus in Scotland.

Goolager

« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2012, 21:48:04 PM »
Apologies,
My name is Iain and I get grumpier with every year, lots of things rip my tights.  :mad
I cringe when I see dog shit & likewise everytime I hear reports of 'the numbers game' when associated to fishing.

So what's my point?
Sorry to hear about the Argulus problem, obviously, and I wish the club all the best in resolving the issue but the true test of character comes from how the club pulls together in this time of crisis.

So what IS my point?
it was the comment about catching 25 fish in 6 hours.............

Here is an excerpt from the PFFC rules / guidelines which were posted earlier in the thread
“This year we are operating a catch and kill policy with a 3 fish per day bag limit. Stress
makes the fish susceptible to attack from the lice.”
…………….so why potentially stress 22 fish unduly when a common goal is trying to be reached.
This is not a personal attack on the member who caught the fish but a concern over whether the message is being delivered clearly enough within the membership.
I also agree on the point that float tubing should have been curtailed due to the possibility of harbouring undesirables and potential transportation of adults or more realistically eggs to another venue. I hold my hand up and say that I don’t know how long the eggs can survive out of water but Jim has raised the possibility that it could be a substantial time and this leads me to my next point – a tube could be used on a single water without concern but how does a club, as a responsible body, not as individuals guarantee the control of movement of these?   would the waders also only be used there or ‘suitably’ disinfected prior to use elsewhere? I’d be trying to keep as much of the body out of the water as possible.

Tubing is great and I love it but I know what I’d do.

I wish the PFFC success in their endeavours.

Rob, if thee are any speling errorz in this post  :X

Grumpy  Iain

Ben_D

« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2012, 22:07:43 PM »
Maybe not, but I bet there are a few who know how to spell it.  :X2  Argulus Foliaceus

Thread should be locked so this gem is not lost.  Mac, if Rob is correcting your spelling mate, that means you've probably lost  :z4

Do normal accepted GS sterilisation methods work for Argulus?

Cheers

Ben

Goolager

« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2012, 22:22:14 PM »
Ha! Didn't want to point out to Rbo that his spelling is attroc, atrosh atrochou, terrible 63.64% of the time.

Rob you are a funny kind of bloke though, sort of like an embarrassing uncle  :X2  :z4

(and yes that's how you spell embarrassing before you go and look it up)

Iain :z16

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2012, 23:45:32 PM »
Private edoukation Iain..and yes, my spelling is carp..i mean crap! I don't bother with correcting mistakes on forums etc as I spend my entire day writting pages and pages of script that has to be perfect!

However, I do know a little about Argulus  :z7

I was part of the carp syndicate at Kingennie when they had an outbreak. Strangely the coarse fish were blammed despite being in the loch ABOVE the trout pond that had the original issue and BELOW the second trout pond to be infested. The carp were the last pond to have an issue.

The syndicate looked into what could be done, and we were advised by SEPA to do the same as Pitfour has been told to do. I will state, the information is rubbish! All three ponds were lowered some 2 feet in the winter, all reeds and debris removed and left like that right through winter. Sure enough, come summer it was just as bad. That was done twice! It cost a fortune to do in both money and sweat, for nothing.

10 minutes spent on the Koi or pond forums will tell you the only solution is to drain, dry, leave empty for a couple of years and then restock CAREFULLY, with no overcrowding and with quality, health checked fish.

As Pitfour is fed by a large burn from an upper loch, both containing natural brownies, I doubt this will be an option.
Ok, I admit it, I quite like this salmon fishing lark....

Robert MacDonald-Lewis

« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2012, 17:27:02 PM »
Argulus is a UK parasite and is in most waters, just in small numbers. Pitfour has an outbreak only. Its not the plaque. Reasonable measures will bring it back under control.

Admittedly I know very little about these critters, but if they are naturally occurring and in most waters what is all the fuss about? From most of the comments on this thread I assumed this problem was isolated to Pitfour.

It would be interesting to know what has caused the problems at Pitfour.

Andrew

« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2012, 20:15:17 PM »
Hi Mike

Sorry to hear there no plans for float tube gatherings for this season :z19
And very sad to hear your selling Haddo due to your work load.
I for one would like to thank you for introducing me to this way of fishing it beats boat/bank fishing anyday.

A big thank you from me

Andy

Quickcast 84

« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2012, 21:53:23 PM »
I was a member of pitfour for less than a year.i liked to fish pitfour i didnt like the hassle that came with it or the lice so i didnt go back.the lice problem there can only be solved 1 way and that is a full drain of the lake and hope for a very cold winter.draining the lake a few feet and removing weed and stones so the lice are limited to where they lay their eggs will not get rid of them

James Abel

« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2012, 22:44:00 PM »
The lice lay their eggs in the first 3 feet of water, so next winter when they have been laid we will pull the plug that lowers the lake by three feet and let the frost do all the work killing the little buggers! No more raking weed or reeds the diggers are doing all that unlike last year giving everyone more time to fish  :z4 (Remember if its left its a time bomb spreading with birds otters and wildlife )Its always the fishermen that get the blame of spreading these things around.
A bad day fishing is better than a good day at work!

Quickcast 84

« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2012, 20:47:18 PM »
Heres hoping it works.all fisherys in the region will have their radars on till the pest is gone. good luck

Forum moderators : Mike Barrio - Hamish Young - Sandy Nelson

Barrio Fly Lines, designed in Scotland ... Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines - www.flylineshop.com - At the heart of your fishing ..... lies a great fly line!

© Copyright www.fishingthefly.co.uk all rights reserved

Please click here to read our cookies and privacy information before using our website forum