Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Supafly

Vice Advice?!?!
« on: 16/04/2012 at 21:41 »
Hi Guys,

Im just about to get into fly tying and have been given a load of feathers etc but the vice isnt upto much so ive decided to get a new one, and wondered what you guys use and what you'd recomend?  :z8

I work offshore so it would be handy to have a fairly mobile unit.

Cheers

Barry Robertson

Re: Vice Advice?!?!
« Reply #1 on: 16/04/2012 at 22:03 »
If your on a budget get a rotable regent with a base !
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Regent-Traditional-Vice-Table-Top-Fly-Tying-Dressing-/370505011591?pt=UK_SportingGoods_FishingAcces_RL&hash=item5643d1d187

Otherwise spend your money on a snowbee waldron, crackin piece of kit!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SNOWBEE-WALDRON-FLY-TYING-VICE-BASE-CARRY-BAG-NEW-/370480038179?pt=UK_SportingGoods_FishingAcces_RL&hash=item564254c123
I reckon you woukld get a waldron for £200 if you looked hard enough but if your just startin out maybe the regent would be better to see if fly tying is your game!

I work offshore and have had both vices and can vouch for them being good! A clamp vice is no use if your add hoc as u will find that some cabins wont have a point to fix your vice to!
Hope this helps!

Ben Dixon

« Reply #2 on: 16/04/2012 at 22:06 »
Baz's first suggestion with a C clamp rather than a base is what I have always used.  Jaws don't last forever but at the price just bin it and get a new one when it is goosed.  I like the quick simple lever to set hook, no twiddly knobs or fussy cam thingies to slow me down.

CHeers

Ben

Supafly

« Reply #3 on: 16/04/2012 at 22:48 »
Cheers lads its a bit confussing when you look online and there are tons to choose from,

I like the look of the Waldron and it is probably the dogs kahunas, but prob best start out at the lower end of the market till i find my feet.

Ta

Supafly

« Reply #4 on: 16/04/2012 at 22:53 »
I like the quick simple lever to set hook, no twiddly knobs or fussy cam thingies to slow me down.

.....i wish i had your tying speed Ben so i could worry about thing slowing me down lol

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #5 on: 17/04/2012 at 08:12 »
I have been impressed with my Anvil Apex vice. £99 but its lasted 4 years now, and is still able to hold 26's to 6/0. It has two hook groves for big hooks and a is very comfortable with normal hooks from 16-10's. Its also a rotary vice if you wish it to be.

Comes with a base and c-clamp and takes seconds to fold down.

http://www.garryevans.co.uk/anvil-apex-fly-tying-vice---with-free-tyers-tool-kit-2444-p.asp

Loxiafan

« Reply #6 on: 17/04/2012 at 14:30 »
I'd echo Rob's suggestion of the Anvil Apex though I use a Dyna-King Supreme myself. The Anvil is 'mid price' so you won't want to be upgrading too soon (if at all) and has a C clamp for offshore/portable use. Negatives - the barrel is quite short in terms of working room and your bobbin might clatter about on the main stem ( I don't like Bobbin holders !); a few folks have had the jaws go on them really quickly though I believe the company are very good at sorting out any issues. If I had to get another vice this is the one I'd get.

Somers had some the last time I was in so you could 'try before you buy' and if you are an ADAA member you'll get your 10% discount ? Orvis Banchory also have some nice HMH vices in stock, bit more pricey than the Anvil but better IMO.

Lindsay

Supafly

« Reply #8 on: 20/04/2012 at 00:19 »
Ended up going for the Anvil Atlas in the end, i looked at a few around the same price which didnt quite have the same build quality as the Anvil so im fairly chuffed, cheers for the advice.  :z16 :z16 :z16

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #9 on: 20/04/2012 at 08:29 »
 :z16

Enjoy!

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com