Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Christopher

Barrio GT140 Grains
« on: 16/04/2012 at 04:37 »
Hi. Mike Barrio
I have a question.
I want to know weight of the belly (88 ft) of the Barrio GT 140 WF5F and WF6F??
and running line is much thinner, that rear taper??
I ask because I have a S.A. ED. and no difference between the rear taper and running line.
and my experience says it is sometimes better a shorter belly but with a good running
The running line makes the difference.
Thanks!!
 Christopher.

P.D. Sorry my English

Sandy Nelson

Re: Barrio GT140 Grains
« Reply #1 on: 16/04/2012 at 09:20 »
Hi Christopher

Welcome to the forum.

As for the line, buy one, chop it up and weigh it :z16

Sandy

Ben Dixon

« Reply #2 on: 16/04/2012 at 19:42 »
Hi Christopher,

I have not weighed the entire head of the lines you are talking about but I think the SA ED has a tapered running line, this is one of the differences between the ED and the older XXD.  There is a definite end to the rear taper on the ED and then from that point, the running line fines down.  This effect can be seen once you aerialise the whole head plus a few feet.  The target weight for the head of the ED in a #5 is 268 grains.

What are you looking for the line to do?

Cheers

Ben

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 16/04/2012 at 20:17 »
Hi Christopher
Welcome to the forum :z16

Ben has already asked the question that I was going ask, what would you like the line to do for you?

Best wishes
Mike

Christopher

« Reply #4 on: 17/04/2012 at 20:23 »
Thanks For the Welcome
and
Ben Thanks for the tip

S.A. ED WF5F 268 Grains in 68,9' Feet (Taper)
Barrio GT140 WF5F Grains?? in 88' Feet (Taper)
Thanks
 Cheers

Mike Barrio

« Reply #5 on: 19/04/2012 at 15:04 »
Hi Christopher ..... Sorry for the delay with my reply :oops

The Barrio GT140 WF5F weighs 142 grains at 30 feet and 390 grains at 88 feet.

Best wishes
Mike

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #6 on: 25/04/2012 at 11:58 »

The Barrio GT140 WF5F weighs 142 grains at 30 feet and 390 grains at 88 feet.

which turns it into a 12+ wt at that length. a great line for tarpon !  :z4  :X2  :z3  :z16  :z4

(ok, i'm out....   :z2 )

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #7 on: 25/04/2012 at 15:13 »
which turns it into a 12+ wt at that length. a great line for tarpon !  :z4  :X2  :z3  :z16  :z4

(ok, i'm out....   :z2 )

I used my 5 weight on my 9 weight Helios for a laugh. Its was my ability not to generate enough line speed to keep 80+ feet in the air rather than the line/rod not being capable.

I found a shoot on the back cast allowed me to hold up a silly amount of line for a final front shoot :)

I may try it on a loch for a laugh...I wonder what the reactions would be?

Marc Fauvet

Re: Barrio GT140 Grains New
« Reply #8 on: 26/04/2012 at 08:48 »
hi Rob,
that was just a little attempt at swedish humor... (swedish humor doesn't exist :X2 )   :z4
trying these things out 'for a laugh' as you say is really cool but it also teaches one a lot about loading, line control, timing, power application and all the other elements of a cast which in turn makes for better casting when the rod/line balance is just right.
('right' is of course highly subjective)

anyhow, here's just a few examples where matching rod and line class is far from convention.

- i greatly underline rods as you did or remove the line completely and attach a leader to the tip to show students that it's not the line that loads the rod.
- the Italian TLT style usually underlines 3 line weight under the rod's rating and they fish at short distances in mountain streams.
- most 'competition' rods are far heavier than what's written on the rod: ex, they'll CCS as 7-8 wts and they're used with 5 wt lines.

i guess the point i'm trying to get across is it's not what one has but how one uses it that counts the most in fly casting. (and elsewhere as well...  :z4 )

cheers,
marc

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #9 on: 26/04/2012 at 11:07 »
i guess the point i'm trying to across is it's not what one has but how one uses it that counts the most in fly casting. (and elsewhere as well...  :z4 )

I have nothing and still cannot use it! :)

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com