Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

TimTheFlier

Please help me identify this fish
« on: 08/04/2012 at 20:10 »
First day on the Don today (Fintray) and was rewarded with the following fish (approx. 1 ~ 1.5lb) on a #10 Black and Peacock, however my question is: is it a Brownie or a Sea Trout ?

I feel foolish asking, but either would be a first for me.  It doesn't look like a "classic" Brownie to me and I've read that the silver body and black spots would suggest a Sea Trout.

Needless to say the fish was quickly returned and swam strongly away without needing any "recovery"time.

Thanks,
Tim.

Graham Ritchie

Re: Please help me identify this fish
« Reply #1 on: 08/04/2012 at 20:35 »
Its a brownie.

TimTheFlier

« Reply #2 on: 08/04/2012 at 20:38 »
Its a brownie.

Thank you.  I feel a bit of a dork as I've now done a bit more research (well, I googled some pictures) and I think its fairly obvious.

Appreciate the repsonse though.

Thanks,
Tim,

Loxiafan

« Reply #3 on: 08/04/2012 at 23:06 »
It doesn't look like a "classic" Brownie to me and I've read that the silver body and black spots would suggest a Sea Trout.

You can get very silvery Brown Trout ( ala classic Loch Leven strain) - I caught a very silver 2 lb BT on Thursday but it was quite yellow in the belly, gill plates and fins. Some are not quite so obvious. There is a recent thread on Fly Forums site on Sea Trout/Brown Trout confusion and as I recall many quite experienced anglers were getting a lot of them wrong eg. silver brownies from Lochs not connected to the sea !

Remember, a Sea Trout is just a Brown Trout that went to sea, or more correctly a Brown Trout is a Sea Trout that decided to stay in the river ( Ice Ages and all that).

Lindsay

TimTheFlier

« Reply #4 on: 09/04/2012 at 13:30 »
Lindsay,

Thanks very much - lets hope I net a few more of them over the season.

Regards,
Tim.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com