Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Iain Cameron

Gr, g, grrrrr...
« on: 03/04/2012 at 19:45 »
Well, it's finally happened, i've flipped.

Spent the last two evenings obsessing over line weights, head lengths, profiles, grains and grams. to 4 decimal places. I came home from work tonight to find this:

Nope, it's not calorie counted spaghetti.... but the kitchen scales called into use to determine the weight of an old shooting head... I'd done this before leaving for work early this morning, and forgotten about it. came home, and realised I've fipped...

the cause of this obsession... a new 6-wt, 11' orvis switch rod, a thing of great beauty, brutalised in my hands... obsessing at the moment over finding the right kinda lines for different situations. coupled with the cold weather and the wind, and not being able to get out and properly learn to cast it, i'm going slightly nuts.

I've learned a lot about lines this week though. I am seeking professional assistance, and a proper report on the rod & it's applications to the Don may follow, if I can hold a pen whilst in a straightjacket...

ah, here's a wee pic of my new toy. in the sunshine last week.

Rob Brownfield

Re: Gr, g, grrrrr...
« Reply #1 on: 03/04/2012 at 21:42 »
Nutter!!!!! You need locking up!!!!

Technique has a lot to answer for, but on the Dee the other day you were putting together some nice casts, especially considering the wind. Get a session booked with Ben...cheaper than a couple of new lines :)

And then teach me for free!..lol

Andy Finlay

Re: Gr, g, grrrrr...
« Reply #2 on: 03/04/2012 at 22:37 »
Get a session booked with Ben...cheaper than a couple of new lines :)

And then teach me for free!..lol

I'm not so sure, I had a Double Handed casting session with Ben before the season started, havent caught a bloody thing (except the hood of my jacket :oops) and all I seem to do is spend 10 mins fishing and the rest of the time trying to perfect the casts he showed me  :z4.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com