Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

mike

Evening gents ,
As i've explained on many occasionsi am new to the fly fishing game and so rely on your knowledge to help me out a bit .

TODAYS QUEERY ....... :oops

RE - strike indicators.  Can you use one of these with either dry flies or blobs ?

I know that not all stillwaters have the same rules but most are the same . I know you cant fish a lure with a SI, but is a blob classed as a lure?

Also is there an advantage to using a SI when you have a dry fly on ( or indeed is this not allowed ? )  :z8

your replys are always welcome and helpfull ...  :z14   :z18

Regards

Mike G .

Rob Brownfield

First the easy part of the question...when using a dry fly, there is no need for a strike indicator because you see the fly get taken.

Now the hard part. Strike indicators can be very subtle and work extremely well when used sensibly. For example, fishing a team of nymphs on a river, steering them around rocks and shallows, but like many things, strike indicators can be abused. For examle, a large SI, cast out with a couple of blobs under it, and then the rod put down and the whole lot is left to fish itself.

Many on here use a dry flie as a strike indicator and suspend a buzzer below it. Much more subtle, not likely to break any rues and very affective indeed.

mike

Cheers Rob ,

I have yet to venture out on a river as yet as im still trying to find my feet on the lochs in and around Aberdeen. One of the guys i go fishing with uses a SI when fishing a blob ( mostly in winter months ) and always catches more than me but i argue that you shouldnt really be using this method when using a blob . Am i wrong would you say ??

Mike G .

Rob Brownfield

There is no right or wromg, its a personnal thing. Me? I would not use a blob let alone one under a SI, but thats my interpretation of fly fishing.

Others have different views.

I have a fishery local(ish) to myself and I refuse to fish there because everytime I drive past everyone is sitting on there backsides and I can see large Si on the surface.

I would much rather "fish" the water than let the flies fish themselves.

Try it and make up your own mind.  :z4

Barry Robertson

There is no right or wromg, its a personnal thing. Me? I would not use a blob let alone one under a SI, but thats my interpretation of fly fishing.

Others have different views.

I have a fishery local(ish) to myself and I refuse to fish there because everytime I drive past everyone is sitting on there backsides and I can see large Si on the surface.

I would much rather "fish" the water than let the flies fish themselves.

Try it and make up your own mind.  :z4

Are you to cool for a blob Rob??
Please explain why you wouldnt use one? Just curious  :wink

Peter Rawlinson

Got to agree , I  was fly  fishing a lake down in Cheshire a few weeks ago and I thought everyone was coarse fishing . Sight indicators everywhere , - floats I call them - they all cast out and then sat and dozed until the float indicated a fish .

Not for me thanks .   

Rob Brownfield

Are you to cool for a blob Rob??
Please explain why you wouldnt use one? Just curious  :wink

Just not my bag man...  :z8

All my trout fly rods are 3, 4 or 5 weight and I tend to fish small imative pattens so don't have a rod that would handle a blob :)...although I wonder if I should try a size 4/0 version for Pike  :X2

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com