Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

Switch Rod imminemt!
« on: 22/03/2012 at 11:13 »
Well, I got my reamers, rings ordered today, so the handle/reelseat is on, I have sunday afternoon to myself and next week off.

So, hopefully I will be utilising the Rod on the Don trying to catch the silver tourists Iain and myself spotted last Saturday :)

Hamish Young

Re: Switch Rod imminemt!
« Reply #1 on: 23/03/2012 at 09:54 »
Which blank Rob :?

H :z3

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 23/03/2012 at 11:40 »
A Switch one ;)

I went for a Batson Rainshadow RX7 5 weight.The grain window is 140-280 grains putting it around an 8 weight for a double handed line.

I have an Elixor 5/6 switch line which is rated at 275 grains and was recommended on various US forums for this blank...Although a 5/6 line, the head looks more like an 8/9 weight.

But I still have not quite got my head around it!  :X1

I am building it for the middle reaches of the Don when its a bit low (like now) rather than using a single hander 7-8 weight. Just seems a very efficient way of fishing.

Handle went on last night..looks lovely even if I say so myself :) Its just the "kit" handle with a different reel seat but it does look smart.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #3 on: 23/03/2012 at 11:56 »
I went for a Batson Rainshadow RX7 5 weight.The grain window is 140-280 grains putting it around an 8 weight for a double handed line.

I have an Elixor 5/6 switch line which is rated at 275 grains and was recommended on various US forums for this blank...Although a 5/6 line, the head looks more like an 8/9 weight.

Hi Rob,

The blank is rated for a "Spey" (two handed) #5 which is about the equivalent of a #8 single handed line so you are right that the Elixir is approximately equivalent to a single handed 8/9.  For pure single handed use a #5 or #6 single handed line should be about right.

Bring it over when it's done and we'll try some stuff on it.

Cheers

Ben

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 27/03/2012 at 23:38 »
Tiz built, and used! As always, I got impatiant, built the thing in 4 hours including epoxying, and needless to say, I was so keen to get out the epoxy was not quite dry..grrrrr.

But, I can fix that issue, when I have time.

Used it twice now, First time I struggled a little, but a 15 minutes session with Ben proved it was me and not the rod at fault.

Mr Cameron kindly showed me a few spots on the lower don tonight and I started to feel at one with the rod and even managed a few decent casts and to hook up, rather briefly, with a Sea Trout.

I have to say his new toy is awesome!!!

Switch style its a very relaxed way of fishing. I think i could get to like this "fly fishing" nonsense!  :X1

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #5 on: 31/03/2012 at 02:40 »
Oh dear...I think I will be getting a heavier version soon...I am "switched" on to Switch!!

Matt Henderson

« Reply #6 on: 10/04/2012 at 10:11 »
Rob,

This thread is useless.  Not a photo in sight!

Cheers

Matt

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #7 on: 10/04/2012 at 10:17 »
Lol..I will sort something...but its a basic build so nothing exciting.

Matt Henderson

« Reply #8 on: 16/04/2012 at 20:05 »
Still no photos?

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #9 on: 18/04/2012 at 08:21 »
No pics...still not finished! Not had a chance to finish off the butt with a final coat.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com