Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Matt Henderson

Running line to shooting head knots
« on: 19/03/2012 at 12:14 »
All,

I nipped out to a fishing shop in Banchory on Friday and picked up a few things.  In amongst them was the some new running/shooting line.  Now the last line I had was a dedicated Rio one with a nice big loop on the front.  Now the new line I bought doesn't have pre made loops on it.  Any suggestions for a knot to use for this running line given it appears to be very hard and not very supple.  

Ben ?  :X2

Cheers

Matt

Rob Brownfield

Re: Running line to shooting head knots
« Reply #1 on: 19/03/2012 at 13:24 »
I use an Albright knot..but this is a permanent solution. Treat the thicker doupled lines as the loop and it works a treat.

The other option I have used for exchangable shooting heads is to double back the hard nylon running line and whip it together using tying thread, thus forming a large lood. Then use a flexible nail varnish to seal the whipping. I still doe this on fly lines to make a loop for attaching polyleaders.

If you use a dab of super glue first your whipping only needs to be 2-3cm long.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #2 on: 19/03/2012 at 22:25 »
Hi Matt,

Perfection loop if it's Varivas AIRS you're talking about, that way you can loop to loop connect onto the back of your heads. 

Cheers

Ben

Matt Henderson

« Reply #3 on: 20/03/2012 at 07:32 »
The very stuff Ben, thanks for that.

Cheers

Matt

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 20/03/2012 at 08:18 »
Hi Matt,

Perfection loop if it's Varivas AIRS you're talking about, that way you can loop to loop connect onto the back of your heads. 

Cheers

Ben

But does that not leave a knot to rattle through the rings and get caught up in weed etc?

Hamish Young

« Reply #5 on: 20/03/2012 at 08:22 »
No more than anything else would Rob; I use the same system for my Salmon fishing shooting heads.

H :z3

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #6 on: 20/03/2012 at 11:59 »
No more than anything else would Rob; I use the same system for my Salmon fishing shooting heads.

H :z3

I just don't like knots that have a tag end coz they do catch. That why I use an Albright or a whipped loop, no sticky out bits.

I did see a method of using a braided loop with thick nylon..that looked good.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #7 on: 20/03/2012 at 21:49 »
Hi Rob,

I've never had any weed catch the running line loop.  I cut the tag close (always leave about 1mm) when I have pulled the knot tight.  With the varivas stuff it's best to pull as tight as is needed to close up the knot and not pull as tight as possible.  Check for any stress marks once knot has been tightened and re tie if there is any stressing to the main line.  Fairly strong stuff that takes a perfection loop well, I've only snapped it and lost a head once and that was fishing 35lb fluoro.  This was not through choice I picked up 35lb instead of 25lb, only other thing I had was 15lb which would not have carried the tubes I was using!

A loop to loop is less bulky going through the guides that an albright IMO and you will usually never have it inside the guides when casting and shooting so should not be an issue.  Only time you'll notice it is playing a fish but again, it is smoother than a braided loop to polyleader for me.

Cheers

Ben

Matt Henderson

« Reply #8 on: 20/03/2012 at 22:55 »
Only time you'll notice it is playing a ish but again, it is smoother than a braided loop to polyleader for me.

Thanks Ben will have a crack at putting it all together soon.  The situation you describe above isn't an issue for me very often if ever...

Irvine Ross

« Reply #9 on: 21/03/2012 at 08:23 »
You could always try whipping the tag end back onto the running line after tying the perfection loop if you thought it would be a problem snagging the rings. Must admit I have not tried that with monofilament but I can't see why it should not work. :z8

Irvine

Iain Goolager

« Reply #10 on: 21/03/2012 at 12:35 »
You could always try whipping the tag end back onto the running line after tying the perfection loop

Agree 100%, very annoying when reeling in the head but not half as much as when playing a fish. Used to rip my tights!

Iain

Ben Dixon

« Reply #11 on: 21/03/2012 at 13:05 »
There is not really any reason to leave a tag long enough to give a noticeable bump through the rings when tying a perfection loop.  Any knot is going to bump a bit.

Cheers

Ben

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #12 on: 21/03/2012 at 13:49 »
I keep forgeting you lot are talking about Salmon fishing where catching fish is rare and catching big fish even rarer ;) :X2

All my heads are 10 weight and used on single handers so the noise/catching of a knot in the rings when double hauling until the head is out the tip is distracting to say the least and potentially damaging/

Also, I am routinely fishing in weed so again, any kind of knot is a hindrance, hence my preferred whipped loop.

I guess when using a double hander and fishing a relatively weed free river its not such an issue.

Hamish Young

« Reply #13 on: 22/03/2012 at 08:58 »
I keep forgeting you lot are talking about Salmon fishing where catching fish is rare and catching big fish even rarer ;) :X2
Uh huh..... abuse from a maggot drowner  :z4
All my heads are 10 weight and used on single handers so the noise/catching of a knot in the rings when double hauling until the head is out the tip is distracting to say the least and potentially damaging/
How long are the heads Rob :? Perhaps a tweak on the cast might prevent the need for the head coming inside the rod tip.
Also, I am routinely fishing in weed so again, any kind of knot is a hindrance, hence my preferred whipped loop.
Give up the weed man..... it's not good for you :z3
I guess when using a double hander and fishing a relatively weed free river its not such an issue.
Indeed, very true.

:z12

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #14 on: 22/03/2012 at 11:04 »
Hamish,
The head coming inside the tip ring is only a problem when I have retrieved a fly to almost my feet, done a roll cast to put it out infront, then a couple of false casts to get the head out of the tip before one "proper" double haul" to send it back out. Sometines on that double haul, right at the end of the back cast, if I have misjudged how far out the head it, it can clatter through the tip ring.

You fly danglers on the river dont retrieve the head inside the tip so I guess its not an issue.  :X2

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com