Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Cal

Pike traces
« on: 30/03/2007 at 15:21 »
I'm looking for advice on pike traces for flyfishing. Should there be any wire in it like when ledgering? Or do i just use stronger nylon. Got a day on a Loch nearby on Monday and need to get the tackle sorted out.

Dave Olley

Pike traces
« Reply #1 on: 31/03/2007 at 14:54 »
Hi Cal
yes, you will need wire traces for pike. I use about 12" of 20lb 7 strand with a swivel on the line end and a snap link on the hook end. Given the size of the "flies" I use I don't find it hinders the action, or reduces the number of takes significantly.
Good luck, and have fun :grin:

Cal

Pike traces
« Reply #2 on: 31/03/2007 at 17:13 »
Thanks for that, yea I thought there must be some wire in the trace. Just made up the trace and going outside to practice casting with the biggest fly I've ever tied on the end

Rob Brownfield

Pike traces
« Reply #3 on: 02/04/2007 at 09:51 »
Cal,
I live near you, pop round if you like and I will show you what I use.

I have used fexible wire for years (about 20!) but recently converted to solid wire leaders. The Orvis shop in Banchory actually sells them!  :shock:  I was stunned!

Failing that, I have used 50 pound wire. Seems heavy but it does not put of the Pike and it does not kink when using BIG flies, unlike lighter wire. If you crimp the lighter wire you can get a kink form at the crimp and the wire pops on the back cast!

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com