Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

adambrain

dry fly tippet ??
« on: 16/03/2012 at 13:19 »
Hello all,

was wondering what tippet everyone uses for dries?
I get very frustrated with sinking my fluorocarbon as it does sink not quickly and usually have to give it a good pull to get it going.
I've tried with good success adding a heavier dropper about half way up the tippet to get the line sunk but there must be an easier way.
I have been using the AIRFLO sightfree fluoro.
Any suggestions please??

Cheers Adam

Liam Stephen

Re: dry fly tippet ??
« Reply #1 on: 16/03/2012 at 15:11 »
I have the same problem Adam  :z8  be interesting to hear what the Pros think??  :wink :wink

Liam

adambrain

« Reply #2 on: 16/03/2012 at 16:13 »
hey.... I am a pro, just faulty in lots of areas.  :z4

Irvine Ross

« Reply #3 on: 16/03/2012 at 17:05 »

Any suggestions please??

Cheers Adam

Use co-polymer and give it a good rub with Fuller Earth gunge. I gave up fluoro as I had the same problem as you with small diameter tippets. Anyway,lost lengths of co-polymer will degrade over time and stop being a hazard to wildlife. Fluoro doesn't.

Irvine

Allan Liddle

« Reply #4 on: 17/03/2012 at 20:58 »
3lb Maxima nylon green.  Strong, stiff enough to help turnover but not too stiff to 'kill' the fly and cheap enough not too worry about useage.
Takes a rub from yer leader sink stuff (fullers earth and fairy liquid) and because of it's colour isnae too shiny.  Knot strength good as well.

Suspect strength is greater than the marked 3lb though and isn't often i suffer breakages (10lb lively clean salmon off the Tummel last year and a string of thumping broonies over the years as proof) although it isn't infallable though.

Wee spool of double strength stuff for times when really spooky troot's turn their noses up and i suspect the nylon at fault. If it still dosen't work and wee flees and new nylon still not working then just chuck some stones in and go home.  :z4

Allan

Euan Innes

« Reply #5 on: 17/03/2012 at 21:51 »
As above but with Drennan sub surface, 3lb....   :z16

My 2p

:z1

Hamish Young

« Reply #6 on: 18/03/2012 at 20:12 »
I use Riverge and have no issues (that I can recall) with it not sinking as I need it to.
However, if you want to move away from fluoro then a decent co-polymer would be my choice.

H

adambrain

« Reply #7 on: 18/03/2012 at 21:30 »
Thanks for all your input guys.
ive just ordered a variety of different spools based on all the comments so will have an experimental day on my next outing.

Thanks again
Adam

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com