Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Irvine Ross

Reel maintenance
« on: 13/03/2012 at 17:25 »
So I managed to drop my nice Battenkill large arbour reel when I was taking it off the rod and now it has a couple of small chips in its nice shiny surface exposing the aluminium underneath. :X1

Does this mean the exposed metal will be prone to oxidization? Should I cover over the chips with something? If so what? :z8 Any advice appreciated.

Irvine :oops

Hamish Young

Re: Reel maintenance
« Reply #1 on: 13/03/2012 at 19:45 »
It will oxidise immediately on exposure to the 'air', so leave it alone and it should be fine if a little 'unsightly' depending on how big the dunt is/are.
If black, a permanent marker will hide a host of woes  :wink
H :z3

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #2 on: 13/03/2012 at 19:59 »
It will oxidise immediately on exposure to the 'air', so leave it alone and it should be fine if a little 'unsightly' depending on how big the dunt is/are.
If black, a permanent marker will hide a host of woes  :wink
H :z3

:z18 Agreed, salty water is the only enemy, although 20 years might have an effect :wink.
Watch the black marker though, some contain acids that can affect the alloy, i'd use enamel paint if you wanted to protect it :z16

Sandy

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 13/03/2012 at 22:18 »
Another wee trick is to add a dab of clear nail varnish. Just seals things up and makes one feel better :)

Irvine Ross

« Reply #4 on: 15/03/2012 at 08:19 »
In 20 years my fishing tackle might be all that my children inherit so I thought I should look after it.  :grin

Thanks for all the advice.

Irvine

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #5 on: 15/03/2012 at 10:19 »
so leave it alone and it should be fine

Try telling that to us older Landrover owners ;)

Allan Liddle

« Reply #6 on: 15/03/2012 at 10:22 »
To be fair it's the bit of kit that looks the part once it's got a few 'war wounds'.  Even pics look more 'honest', or at least that's what i keep telling myself when i lok at my battered old Battenkill or Mach  :z4

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com