Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

Switch Rod Grain Window question
« on: 12/03/2012 at 11:48 »
Right ho all you line weight masters, I need some advice on a line for the "imminent" switch build.

The manufacturer says the blank has a grain window of 140-280.

What does that mean in terms of lines? Looking at the charts it comes out a 5-10 weight!! Now, I cannot see the blank handling a 10 weight!

I currently have an Elixir Switch line, rated a 4/5/6 weight which has a grain weight of 275 feet at 25 feet.

Please excuse my ignorance, last time I picked up a double handed rod you got WF or DT in the AFTMA rating it said on the butt!..lol

Ben Dixon

Re: Switch Rod Grain Window question
« Reply #1 on: 12/03/2012 at 13:27 »
Hi Rob,

The standard for singlehanded lines is totally irrelevant as far as DH rods are concerned.  I reckon the manufacturer thinks that for single handed overhead use a standard #5 single handed line and for DH use then something up to the weight of a single handed #10 line would suit (this would equate to a short two handed #6 or #7).  Usually you go down 3 sizes so, if you want to use a two handed line on a 10' #8 rod you'd go for a two handed #5 line.  I may be wrong but from the info you have given, that is my best guess.  Best bet is to get it built the head over with the rod and we can try a few lines on it, I've got plenty of stuff that may suit.

Have a look here http://www.rioproducts.com/skin/summit/pdf/AFFTA_SpeyStandards.pdf

and here http://www.rioproducts.com/skin/summit/pdf/Understanding_Spey_Lines_2012.pdf

Cheers

Ben

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 12/03/2012 at 14:19 »
Hi Ben,
Thanks for that. A bit more investigating states that the AFTMA rating of 5 is indeed for a single handed line.

Also, some people have said they are using a 270 or 300 grain Compact Skandi head on this particullay blank with a 10 foot super fast sink Polyleader.

Someone else suggested a 275gr Skagit Short.

Finally, apparently a line has been nade for this specific blank via Steve Godshall of Speyworks. But I can't find a website for him..grrrr

Sooo, would it be safe to say that a 5 weight switch is actually stronger than a 5 weight single hander? Hang on, let me put that a better way. On several sites it suggests the 5 weight is ideal for game fish to 12lbs and casts to 80 feet. I would not use a 5 weight for fish of this size nornally, so is the Switch designed for bigger fish? I am thinking Sea Trout here.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #3 on: 12/03/2012 at 15:01 »
Also, some people have said they are using a 270 or 300 grain Compact Skandi head on this particullay blank with a 10 foot super fast sink Polyleader.

Someone else suggested a 275gr Skagit Short.

Rob,

Don't add the mass of polyleader to the line when talking about Speys.  Unlike with an overhead cast where the whole length of line outside of the tip is being used to make the cast, a Spey relies on only really the back end of the head which is generally the line from just below the apex of the D loop to the rod tip.  Anything much below the apex and certainly anything on the water goes along for the ride and must be able to be carried by the mass of line that formed the upper portion of the D loop.  Particularly with Skagit, don't count the tip as part of the head weight.  If the rod needs say a 550 grain skagit then that is what weight the floating body of the line needs to be, not a 420 grain Skagit and a 130 grain tip. Does that make sense?  All in Rios document which is well worth printing out and reading, very informative and easily read.

Finally, apparently a line has been nade for this specific blank via Steve Godshall of Speyworks. But I can't find a website for him..grrrr

You'd want to know what the intended purpose of the line is and check that it is well suited to the application you'll be using it for.

Sooo, would it be safe to say that a 5 weight switch is actually stronger than a 5 weight single hander? Hang on, let me put that a better way. On several sites it suggests the 5 weight is ideal for game fish to 12lbs and casts to 80 feet. I would not use a 5 weight for fish of this size nornally, so is the Switch designed for bigger fish? I am thinking Sea Trout here.

This rod should cope fine with sea trout, IMO it is really tippet strength that determines  how fast you can bully a fish in, pointing a 5wt rod straight at a fish with a low angle has a very similar effect to doing the same with any other rod.  If regularly fishing for fish that size I'd probably be on a stiffer rod but when fishing for fish of that size I'd be on heavier tippet than I would if fishing for what you may generally term 5 wt sized fish.  I saw a liced 17lb salmon subdued in short time on the Beauly with a #6 Helios switch.

Cheers

Ben

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 12/03/2012 at 15:14 »
Hi Ben,
Thanks for that..all becoming clearer!! Also used the Rio "Line selector" programe and that confirmed a few things too.

Cheers.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com