Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Iain Cameron

calculating import duty online
« on: 12/03/2012 at 09:36 »
folks

found a web page that calculates import duty; possibly useful if you're buying from ebay and want to know how much duty you'll pay on an imported rod etc

http://www.dutycalculator.com/

seems to be conforming to uk custom rules (had a quick read) - but caveat empor and all that, use as a guide, not as gospel!

iain,

Jim Eddie

Re: calculating import duty online
« Reply #1 on: 12/03/2012 at 14:48 »
Iain

I've found its very much a lottery. 90% it slips through the net, but I have been stung a couple of times.
 :z18

Jim 

gunner100

Re: calculating import duty online
« Reply #2 on: 13/03/2012 at 21:21 »
My limited experience in the complicated areas of import duty/vat/cost/ carriage etc on purchases from outside the UK suggest to me that there are several inaccuracies in the examples quoted by the site. The first glaring omission is that the site does not quote what the carrier will charge the vendor, you and me, for clearing the goods through H M Revenue and Customs and paying the charges on our behalf. I examined several examples on their site of transactions from the USA and found inconsistencies eg not all transactions showed duty of 3.7% , although all goods from the USA will be subject to this charge.

As a rule of thumb add 30% to the value, incl delivery , insurance etc of all purchases from the USA plus the couriers charges.   

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com