Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

adambrain

trout making babies
« on: 11/03/2012 at 20:28 »
 I was recently at 2 well known local fisheries and was surprised to find eggs in my net after releasing the fish.
I thought that these rainbows were triploids ( i think this is the word ) and so why would they have eggs?
Do they still produce eggs but are infertile ?

Adam.

Jim Eddie

Re: trout making babies
« Reply #1 on: 11/03/2012 at 20:33 »
Adam
The process is supposed to make them sexless, but like everything else in life it's never 100% sucessfull. The chance there is a fertile male to fertilise the eggs is slim. Also the eggs need a certain type of gravel and generally running water to keep them at a constant temperature. So in short the chance of them making babies is slim.

:z18

Jim   

adambrain

« Reply #2 on: 16/03/2012 at 16:17 »
Thanks Jim.

Allan Liddle

« Reply #3 on: 17/03/2012 at 09:35 »
Adam
The process is supposed to make them sexless, but like everything else in life it's never 100% sucessfull. The chance there is a fertile male to fertilise the eggs is slim. Also the eggs need a certain type of gravel and generally running water to keep them at a constant temperature. So in short the chance of them making babies is slim.

Jim   

Has happened though?

Jim Eddie

« Reply #4 on: 18/03/2012 at 07:20 »
Has happened though?

Yes you are right it has happened, but nowhere has it been able to create a viable self sustaining population (Brookies are adifferent matter)

Jim

Allan Liddle

« Reply #5 on: 18/03/2012 at 15:55 »
Yes you are right it has happened, but nowhere has it been able to create a viable self sustaining population (Brookies are adifferent matter)

Jim

Yup know a couple of wild lochs way up in the hills with nothing but brookies in them, and another with a good mix of brookies and browns.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com