Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Sandy Nelson

Switch rods
« on: 10/03/2012 at 20:08 »
I seem to remember a wee topic on switch rods :z8

I can't seem to find it anywhere so i may have dreamed about it :X2

So whats the general opinion on the above topic, i'm thinking summer sea-trout and salmon with small flies.
or small spate rivers at the right moment :wink

What i suppose i'm wondering is would it be better going for a 12ft6 7wt salmon rod or a 11ft6 7wt switch rod.
Just been perusing blanks with an eye to making something for the summer. IF 6 or 8 would be more useful then WHY :z8
And coupled with an SLX i'm sure it would be good addition to an Arsenal :X1

Sandy

Rob Brownfield

Re: Switch rods
« Reply #1 on: 10/03/2012 at 21:55 »
I am currently building a 5 weight Switch rod..well..I would be if i could get small enough reamers for the handle!

Not sure why!! Seemed like a good idea at the time!

Ben Dixon

« Reply #2 on: 10/03/2012 at 22:36 »
I don't get a huge amount of use out of mine but I would not be without it.  If the intention is to use it two handed (the only way I use mine) then line it with a Spey rated line, by that I mean that a #7 single handed line will be too light on most #7 rated switches for two handed use.  Would be fine with a #7 single handed line if you wanted to use it as a numb, overly long single hander with a goofy oversized clumsy handle but, I can't imagine why you would want to do that!

If thinking about an SLX sandy, then you'd be looking at putting a #8 on a #5 rated switch blank for two handed use but to be honest you'd be better off with a #7 rated switch rod and getting an appropriate line for it

Cheers

Ben

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #3 on: 11/03/2012 at 07:05 »
Ben

The thought was for having a lighter two handed for smaller rivers and flies.
Plus I fancied making something.
So maybe lighter 'heads would be a good plan :z8 as I want to stick with the two handed casting.
Would a switch rod be better than an actual spey rod though? Certainley lighter but easier to cast :z8
So far I'm finding the longer rod easier to get on with for heavier lines.
If I went to a 7(irrelevant with heads I know) then does the same ring true :z8 or is it necessary at all
As you are using small flies so can get away with lighter lines. Only ever fished like this with a single handed rod
But I can see how a two handed approach might feel more comfortable.

Might need to play first methinks :wink

Sandy

Ben Dixon

« Reply #4 on: 11/03/2012 at 09:12 »
Hi Sandy,

Switch rods tend to be more delicate and less clumsy to use close up than even a 12' "Spey" rod, so in confined spaces, yes they are easier to cast and easier to fish with.  Most switch blanks have a grain window, line it towards the upper end with longer lines or skagits and towards the lower end with heads.  I mainly use the Beulah Elixir switch line on my rod, it is a 29' head and I fish it with either a 10' poly or 15 - 18' tapered mono leader for full floating work.  It's an integrated shooting head with a short back taper that lets me set up a small D loop and still get a good shoot when required but gives me good feel and accuracy at close range.
It's less tiring fishing the switch at 25 yards all day than it is fishing a 10' #8 single hander all day at the same range although in most situations where I would pick up the switch the 10' #8 with appropriate line would suffice.
Get a shot of my switch sometime, may help you decide what to buy, got a few different lines for it too.

Cheers

Ben

Paul Garrigan

« Reply #5 on: 11/03/2012 at 10:20 »
Sorry to hijack the thread but I have a wee question for ya Ben....

I have a 9'6" #7 single hander that I use for salmon in small rivers with a rio iline. (greys xflight) If I was to make my own screw in extention handle for the butt, then match it with a switch line, would I have myself a switch rod?? ???

Paul

Ben Dixon

« Reply #6 on: 11/03/2012 at 13:38 »
Good question Paul, not really sure!!

9'6" does not really warrant having a lower handle IMO, you'd be as well just using it as a single hander really however if you wanted to throw heavy tips and flies, the sort of thing that could not be carried on a single handed line that was comfortable to cast single handed then there may be some merit to it.

Cheers

Ben

Iain Cameron

« Reply #7 on: 12/03/2012 at 09:44 »
Ben

The thought was for having a lighter two handed for smaller rivers and flies.

I'm still thinking that a double-handed rod, around 11', would be great for the river for grilse/sea trouts. Many places on the Don where back-casting is tricky, and i've been using single-handed roll casting a lot this last year, but it sometimes feels just slightly under-gunned.

The orvis catalogue & Orvis.com show some Helios & Access switch rods in 5 & 6 weights this year. tempting. (the 5&6 weight access rods don't show up yet on orvis.co.uk).

Ben Dixon

« Reply #8 on: 12/03/2012 at 10:22 »
That's what I tend to use mine for Iain and on the upper river with bigger gear in bigger water.  The #6 should work out fine for what you want it for, I'd forget the #5 really as a #5 rated Spey line will not really have any more authority than a #8 single handed line.

The Access #5 & #6 are available just not listed on the web yet, not seen one but the Access #7 & #8 are very nice for the money.  Tapers and actions are similar to equivalent Helios

Cheers

Ben

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com