Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

TimTheFlier

Parkhill ADAA Club Fishery
« on: 04/03/2012 at 12:04 »
Just like to add my tuppence worth ...

Just joined the ADAA so took advantage of the mild weather to discover Parkhill fishery - what a treat.

Managed three (I'm still quite new to it all !) nice Rainbows (2 ~ 3.5 lb) all DEEP and S...L...O...W on black or olive #10 buzzers.

The membership fee has already justified itself and the BT river season hasn't even started yet !

Tightlines,
TtF

Jim Eddie

Re: Fine Weather and Fine Sport
« Reply #1 on: 04/03/2012 at 15:03 »
Nice photo's Tim  :z16

:z18

Jim

Iain Goolager

Re: Parkhill ADAA Club Fishery
« Reply #2 on: 04/03/2012 at 18:39 »
Hi Tim,
I've only fished there 3 times but it's a nice location, the fish give a good account of themselves & there's some great fun to be had with dries when nowt is showing and it's excellent when they are surface feeding.

Nice one Tim  :z16

Iain

TimTheFlier

« Reply #3 on: 04/03/2012 at 19:15 »
There were odd fish surfacing (taking either on or just under the surface), but only half dozen or so rises over the few days I was there.

Managed to get one to turn to a (home made pattern) small olive dry (#14 or #16 can't remember) but it turned away again and then no more, hence I decided to go deep.

I have to say the fish seemed in excellent condition and after allowing them time to recover they all pulled away from my hand to fight another day.

I can see me becoming a regular face there as it's convenient for work ("yes Dear, I will be working late again this evening...") a beautifully quiet spot (with the exception of the helicopter arrivals) with great fishing.

Looking forward to a nice late evening spring hatch for some dry fly action.

Tim

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 05/03/2012 at 08:44 »
I can see me becoming a regular face there as it's convenient for work ("yes Dear, I will be working late again this evening...")

I dare say I will be bumping into you a lot then as that is my excuse too! :)

TimTheFlier

« Reply #5 on: 15/03/2012 at 19:35 »
Another nice still day at Parkhill with just the slightest breeze to break the surface where not in the lee of the island.

Managed a couple of lovely fish approx. 3 and 3.5lbs on a Kate McLaren-a-like (self tied !) in a couple of hours at lunchtime, with a fellow fisher taking 4 before I left (on a damsel I believe).

All the action seemed to be deep with the fish repsonding to a slow retrieve.

Parkhill is certainly becoming a fruitful water for me with fish on almost every trip - and what a beautiful spot.  Ok, I know there are some amongst us that pull fish out of the water with incredible regularity, but for your average mortal fly fisherman, I'm happy !

Roll on April 1st so I can get out on the river.

Tightlines,
TtF

TimTheFlier

« Reply #6 on: 27/03/2012 at 09:35 »
Managed to get to the water after work yesterday to be greeted by a beautifully tranquil evening with a frenetically active hatch underway. Aberdeenshire at its best !

Not sure what was hatching - you'd need to ask an "insect-ologist" - the trout were up in the water column, feeding just sub-surface with a fair amount of activity showing on the surface and even the odd leap (so I'm guessing they were taking emergers).

Managed a couple of decent specimens about the 2.5 ~ 3lb mark in the hour and a half at the end of the day on a #12 olive bibio variant - kicking myself for leaving my floating line / dry flies in the car ! Great sport nonetheless.

Eagerly awaiting Sunday when the "Broonie" season begins !

A quick snap at last light to capture the stillness and to whet the appetite of those of you unable to get out and play ...

TtF

Noel Kelly

« Reply #7 on: 27/03/2012 at 19:47 »
Sounds like fun and that's a lovely scene in your pic.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com