Fishing The Fly Forum, based in Aberdeenshire,  Scotland

TimTheFlier

Parkhill ADAA Club Fishery
« on: March 04, 2012, 12:04:37 PM »
Just like to add my tuppence worth ...

Just joined the ADAA so took advantage of the mild weather to discover Parkhill fishery - what a treat.

Managed three (I'm still quite new to it all !) nice Rainbows (2 ~ 3.5 lb) all DEEP and S...L...O...W on black or olive #10 buzzers.

The membership fee has already justified itself and the BT river season hasn't even started yet !

Tightlines,
TtF
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 16:58:41 PM by Mike Barrio »

Jim Eddie

Re: Fine Weather and Fine Sport
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 15:03:52 PM »
Nice photo's Tim  :z16

:z18

Jim
"Because in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing what they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion."

Goolager

Re: Parkhill ADAA Club Fishery
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 18:39:04 PM »
Hi Tim,
I've only fished there 3 times but it's a nice location, the fish give a good account of themselves & there's some great fun to be had with dries when nowt is showing and it's excellent when they are surface feeding.

Nice one Tim  :z16

Iain

TimTheFlier

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 19:15:00 PM »
There were odd fish surfacing (taking either on or just under the surface), but only half dozen or so rises over the few days I was there.

Managed to get one to turn to a (home made pattern) small olive dry (#14 or #16 can't remember) but it turned away again and then no more, hence I decided to go deep.

I have to say the fish seemed in excellent condition and after allowing them time to recover they all pulled away from my hand to fight another day.

I can see me becoming a regular face there as it's convenient for work ("yes Dear, I will be working late again this evening...") a beautifully quiet spot (with the exception of the helicopter arrivals) with great fishing.

Looking forward to a nice late evening spring hatch for some dry fly action.

Tim

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 08:44:39 AM »
I can see me becoming a regular face there as it's convenient for work ("yes Dear, I will be working late again this evening...")

I dare say I will be bumping into you a lot then as that is my excuse too! :)
Ok, I admit it, I quite like this salmon fishing lark....

TimTheFlier

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 19:35:39 PM »
Another nice still day at Parkhill with just the slightest breeze to break the surface where not in the lee of the island.

Managed a couple of lovely fish approx. 3 and 3.5lbs on a Kate McLaren-a-like (self tied !) in a couple of hours at lunchtime, with a fellow fisher taking 4 before I left (on a damsel I believe).

All the action seemed to be deep with the fish repsonding to a slow retrieve.

Parkhill is certainly becoming a fruitful water for me with fish on almost every trip - and what a beautiful spot.  Ok, I know there are some amongst us that pull fish out of the water with incredible regularity, but for your average mortal fly fisherman, I'm happy !

Roll on April 1st so I can get out on the river.

Tightlines,
TtF

TimTheFlier

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 09:35:07 AM »
Managed to get to the water after work yesterday to be greeted by a beautifully tranquil evening with a frenetically active hatch underway. Aberdeenshire at its best !

Not sure what was hatching - you'd need to ask an "insect-ologist" - the trout were up in the water column, feeding just sub-surface with a fair amount of activity showing on the surface and even the odd leap (so I'm guessing they were taking emergers).

Managed a couple of decent specimens about the 2.5 ~ 3lb mark in the hour and a half at the end of the day on a #12 olive bibio variant - kicking myself for leaving my floating line / dry flies in the car ! Great sport nonetheless.

Eagerly awaiting Sunday when the "Broonie" season begins !

A quick snap at last light to capture the stillness and to whet the appetite of those of you unable to get out and play ...

TtF

Noel kelly

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 19:47:23 PM »
Sounds like fun and that's a lovely scene in your pic.

Forum moderators : Mike Barrio - Hamish Young - Sandy Nelson

Barrio Fly Lines, designed in Scotland ... Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines - www.flylineshop.com - At the heart of your fishing ..... lies a great fly line!

Please click here to read our cookies and privacy information before using our website forum

All content on this website is copyright www.fishingthefly.co.uk