Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

Which line on a rod rated 9/10
« on: 29/02/2012 at 11:47 »
Just been offerred some cheap Salmon shooting heads and I am not sure whether to go for 9 weight or 10 on a 9/10 weight rated rod.

I am inclined to go 10. Good choice?

Also, which of the following should I get for fishing the Don and maybe the Dee:

Floating
Intermediate
Sink
Fast Sink
Extra Fast Sink

Cheers

Ben Dixon

Re: Which line on a rod rated 9/10
« Reply #1 on: 29/02/2012 at 18:11 »
What are the heads Rob?  The profile makes a huge difference to how the line will Spey cast, for instance a 38g MacKenzie head feels very much lighter than a 38g AFS.

Cheers

Ben

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 29/02/2012 at 18:49 »
Airflo. Not sure which ones to tell the truth. Floater is a subdued orange colour. They were a cancelled export order hence cheap.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #3 on: 29/02/2012 at 19:47 »
I'd be suspicious Rob.  To my knowledge Airlfo only make floating shooting heads for two handed rods (sold under their brand as shooting heads).  You'd want the model type / name and confirmation that  they are salmon heads.  I'd just simply go buy something decent and of a known quantity, the most important bit of your kit is a fly line don't be a cheapskate, I've a cupboard full of cheap salmon mistakes.

Where are they coming from?

Cheers

Ben

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 01/03/2012 at 08:34 »
Where are they coming from?

Airflo!..lol

Here is the gumf I was sent...

"We are pleased to offer a range of Shooting Heads from Airflo designed specifically for two-handed rods.
This modern Scandinavian design set up will allow you to make longer casts with exceptional ease and are great for both the novice and expert salmon fisher.

The range includes floating, intermediate and various sinking density lines.

Why not purchase the whole series to cover almost every eventuality.

The sinking lines are perfect for early spring and and late Autumn in heavier colder water whilst the floating and intermediate versions are great for summer fishing conditions. These lines come with ready mounted braided loops both ends for ease of use.

We have a small batch of production over runs so are supplied in simple packaging and at a great un repeatable price. Quantities available are very limited so grab a bargain while stocks last."

Price is £18 each...down from £49.99 apparently.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #5 on: 01/03/2012 at 13:18 »
Bit more searching, I think they are the Airflo Scandinavian Shooting Head made for the US. They appear to have a 44' head.

Any good (considering I am not wanting to pay £50 for a shooting head I may only use a couple of times...I would just stick with my Spey lines.)

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #6 on: 01/03/2012 at 17:06 »
You'll get what you pay for Rob

I was out with a Mackenzie 44g floater today, superb piece of kit and it was £45 although i did use my 15% intro from the club so it was £38 really and it's going to be used a darn sight more than a couple of times.

Oh dear Ben what have you done :X1

Sandy

Ben Dixon

« Reply #7 on: 01/03/2012 at 19:01 »
Bit more searching, I think they are the Airflo Scandinavian Shooting Head made for the US. They appear to have a 44' head.

Any good (considering I am not wanting to pay £50 for a shooting head I may only use a couple of times...I would just stick with my Spey lines.)

Rob, if they are the Scandi compacts then they are O.K but I have a suspicion that they will not be as these are only available as a floating head.  Check out GAC's clearance section on their site, they did have a lot of reasonable heads going cheap.

Cheers

Ben

Ben Dixon

« Reply #8 on: 01/03/2012 at 19:04 »
You'll get what you pay for Rob

I was out with a Mackenzie 44g floater today, superb piece of kit and it was £45 although i did use my 15% intro from the club so it was £38 really and it's going to be used a darn sight more than a couple of times.

Oh dear Ben what have you done :X1

Sandy

I'm probably as pleased as you are that the outfit works for you Sandy.  Knowing how fussy you can be, if you like it, I am genuinely happy  :z7

Good to see you got hold of something  :grin

Ben

Matt Henderson

« Reply #9 on: 01/03/2012 at 22:37 »
Ben, do the sinking Mckenzie heads go as well as the floating ones? Still haven't got round to getting a faster sinking line.

Cheers

Matt

Ben Dixon

« Reply #10 on: 01/03/2012 at 22:46 »
Hi Matt,

The intermediate and S2/3 are superb, fly a long way and will take lumpy flies and 15' fast sink polys better than any others I have tried.  I've not used the S3/4 in anger yet but cast a bare hookless 2" copper tube on it over the winter and I've no doubt it will fish very well too.

Cheers

Ben

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #11 on: 02/03/2012 at 08:31 »
Hi Ben,
I have ordered a floating, Intermediate and a Fast sinker :) If they don't work I will just fire them off on ebay.

Spoke to the company selling them. They are made by Airflo for another company (would not say) for the US market...hence the sinkers etc being available. He pointed me to another UK company selling the same ones but at £28 each, and the customer reviews were good.

For less than £20 each I am not to worried if they are not great, I can always use them in the sea or something.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com