Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Euan Innes

klinkhammer hooks
« on: 28/02/2012 at 07:17 »
Which hooks are you guys using these days to tie klinks?
I figured I might have to do them properly after all these years and not just use kamasan sedge hooks.... :X2

:z1

Hamish Young

Re: klinkhammer hooks
« Reply #1 on: 28/02/2012 at 08:52 »
I use Klinkhammer extremes from Partridge http://www.tedcarter.co.uk/partridge-of-redditch/partridge-of-redditch-partridge-klinkhammer-extreme but use caution when ordering, those hooks are strangely non-conformist when it comes to size. As in a 20 is closer to a 16 (and so on) when compared to a more conventional hook.

H :z3

« Reply #2 on: 28/02/2012 at 11:29 »
I have heard that some people find that the partridge hooks have poor holding characteristics and prefer to use Kamasan B100’s for their Klinks.  Can’t say I have noticed this but then don’t use the partridge hooks often enough to be able to say for sure.

Iain Goolager

« Reply #3 on: 28/02/2012 at 12:27 »
Hi Robbie
I have heard that some people find that the partridge hooks have poor holding characteristics

I've never had an issue with either the extreme or standard Partridge klink hooks and use them frequently in size 20 & 18.

The Kamasan B100, or 110 are both good emerging parachute style fly hooks.

Euan,
I don't have a standard 'Klink' hook as I use all sorts of styles that fall below the horizontal. I'll have a look at my boxes tonight and let you know exactly what I'm using.

Iain

Loxiafan

« Reply #4 on: 28/02/2012 at 23:22 »
Diacchi do one designed by Hans Van Klinken himself - only available in 12's and 14's though  :z8

Varivas 2200 BL-B ?

Not much wrong with the Kamasans though FWIW.

Lindsay

Euan Innes

« Reply #5 on: 01/03/2012 at 09:53 »
And while I'm at it what are all you chaps using for a hackle post?
I used to use Antron but I've run out and I'd like to see the alternatives.

Cheers,

Peter McCallum

« Reply #6 on: 01/03/2012 at 13:32 »
Ollie Edwards seems to recommend Niche Products siliconised poly yarn, alternatively if you are feeling flush tiemco aero wing! :shock

Ben Dixon

« Reply #7 on: 01/03/2012 at 19:12 »
Hi Euan,

Get Tiemco Aero dry wing, by far the best stuff and makes great spinner wings (you know, those small lightly dressed things that are fished static) too.  In answer to your message, I have got olive hackle.

Cheers

Ben

Iain Goolager

« Reply #8 on: 01/03/2012 at 19:14 »
Niche no longer exist, Peter sold his stock to Wharfdale? or Yorkshire Angling? I have a pack in white I can send you Euan.

I have decided to try McFlylon and it looks as if it will be a hit. Much cheaper than Aerowing and you don't get the often wasteful crimp that comes from where it is wound sharply over the card.

To be honest I don't think there are any really bad poly yarns, the poorest (or the ones I don't like) are the ones that splay and frizzle.

Let me know - I can send a sample of Aero and McFlylon too

Iain

Ben Dixon

« Reply #9 on: 01/03/2012 at 19:22 »

I have decided to try McFlylon and it looks as if it will be a hit. Much cheaper than Aerowing and you don't get the often wasteful crimp that comes from where it is wound sharply over the card.

To be honest I don't think there are any really bad poly yarns, the poorest (or the ones I don't like) are the ones that splay and frizzle.

Let me know - I can send a sample of Aero and McFlylon too

Iain

Cheapskate!!

Hold the crimped bit of aero over a steaming kettle until it is hot then pull tight until cold, usually removes the kink.  That McFlyon looks as if it will go fuzzy after a few use, one of the main reasons I like Aero is that it holds its straight shape once cut & used.

Cheers

Ben

Iain Goolager

« Reply #10 on: 01/03/2012 at 19:27 »
Hold the crimped bit of aero over a steaming kettle until it is hot then pull tight until cold, usually removes the kink.

Aye, right. £7 odds then I've got to pay for electricity on top of that.

That McFlyon looks as if it will go fuzzy

Hopefully not but time will tell.

Iain

Euan Innes

« Reply #11 on: 01/03/2012 at 20:19 »
Ben,

Stick that cape under the counter and I'll try and get in next week.
Thanks.

Iain,

I'll by that for a dollar!  :z16
Still got my address?
Any joy on what hooks you use for klinks Iain? I'm still leaning towards Kamasan B100 hooks.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #12 on: 01/03/2012 at 20:35 »

Hi Iain :z16

Have you had the forum printed on a mousemat?

Cheers
Mike

Ben Dixon

« Reply #13 on: 01/03/2012 at 21:10 »
Ben,

Stick that cape under the counter and I'll try and get in next week.
Thanks.

Will do
Iain,

I'll by that for a dollar!  :z16
Still got my address?
Any joy on what hooks you use for klinks Iain? I'm still leaning towards Kamasan B100 hooks.

I'm happy with Partridge 15BNX, I like the profile of them.  Using a bigger hook than required and dressing short helps with hook ups for me.

Cheers

Ben

Iain Goolager

« Reply #14 on: 01/03/2012 at 21:26 »
Euan,

I will include this card in with the samples, simples!

As discussed in a previous post there are many options and a range of similar hooks but I'd say these are my ones.

I was advised to bend the niche hooks in the vise by Peter Smith and although dubious, I had many fish on these without incident. I suppose it could work with any of the emerger/ living larvae hooks.
Re last post - Ben advised me a couple of years ago to tie smaller/ shorter patterns on longer / larger hooks and it is now a firm favorite method , being able to fish the size of insect that I wanted but without the worry of finer hooks. 

I'll post them tomorrow.

Iain

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com