Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Ben Dixon

Re: Wild hill loch flies
« Reply #30 on: 06/03/2012 at 21:59 »

I also tried an Orange blob just for a change, nearly got thrown out the boat by my fishing partner though, bloody traditionalists :z4 :z4 :z4

Orange blobs rock, particularly the ones with rubber legs!

Ben

Euan Innes

« Reply #31 on: 07/03/2012 at 06:44 »
Orange blobs rock, particularly the ones with rubber legs!

Ben

Are those the same ones you put on Claret Bumbles?  :X1

What the hell, whatever works!  :z16

:z1

TimTheFlier

« Reply #32 on: 20/05/2012 at 11:35 »
As promised, here's a quick summary of the trip:

Fished the wild hill lochs around Gairloch on the West Coast of Scotland.  The weather was cold and showery but there were also some occasional sunny spells.  Water temp was around 8 deg.

Not sure whether the success rate was down to poor technique or the weather conditions but managed 7 "broonies" over the four days which I was very happy with.

The "claret bumble" was the most effective seconded by my own variation on a bibio pattern: palmered olive hackles, Brown hen hackle at the head and a yellow goose biot tail (picture to follow).

For anyone who hasn't tried this type of fishing I strongly recommend it - it wasn't about the number or size of fish, merely the wild and totally natural experience of it.

Tightlines
TtF

Iain Goolager

« Reply #33 on: 20/05/2012 at 17:46 »
really liking the photo's Tim  :z16

result!

Iain

Dutchfly

« Reply #34 on: 20/05/2012 at 18:47 »
Excellent Tim, thanks for posting!

We're flying to Inverness next Tuesday, I'll post a report also.

Jeroen

Euan Innes

« Reply #35 on: 20/05/2012 at 20:28 »
Way to go Tim!  :z16
I knew you'd love that area and the troot. For me a drifting boat and three flies is the nirvana of fly fishing.
The slap of the water on the hull, the cry of the curlew, the slurp of a troot taking the fly, the craftsmanship of proper boat management, the SCENERY and the gentle horse riding like roll of the waves is tranquillity and perfection in one.
Damn roll on Assynt!
Great photos and great troot. Glad you enjoyed it!

:z1

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #36 on: 21/05/2012 at 21:24 »
see you are up at a favourite local loch, next year the laird is restricting it for paying guests, easgach 1

TimTheFlier

« Reply #37 on: 23/05/2012 at 18:02 »
Indeed, although I believe it is likely to be a little more imminent than that.  We met the Laird who informed us that we were likely to be the last paying guests.

Apparently he's doing a good job of upsetting the locals over management of the estate (according to the few we had the pleasure of contact with whilst there) - I would've thought a local community such as that one, would require a little more delicacy and diplomacy - ah well, what do I know, I'm a mere mortal that pays for his fishing.

Take the opportunity today fellow fishers, it may not be possible tomorrow.

Regards & tightlines as always
Tim

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #38 on: 24/05/2012 at 20:38 »
He's already Taken the river off our angling club, by the way who charged you for fishing the M*** loch or did you just buy a hill loch ticket?, I was over at another lochan over the hill from the M*** loch this afternoon, managed more than a dozen , but then I live there,, there are another 22 lochs that the club leases but the new Laird thinks he's going to make the estate pay , something his old man couldnt do, but then the new laird is a country member  :X2  easgach1

TimTheFlier

« Reply #39 on: 25/05/2012 at 10:27 »
Easgach1,

My mate arranged all the permits, however I believe the ones for M*** loch were bought in the local petrol station (on behalf of the club?).

Originally it did not include M*** loch, but when we met the Laird, he kindly offered us to fish the M*** loch as the last public guests, as he was intending to return it to his own use - so I guess he's not all bad - could just do with trying to integrate with the locals rather than stir them up.

We also managed another 2 of the lochs up there (a small kidney shaped loch next to M*** and the large one beyond that if you kept walking) although blanked in both of them.

When we went back to the petrol station the following day for permits and boat key for Loch T***, we were told that the Laird had come down demanding to know who sold us the permits and if we came back to just return our money !

I think you live in a wonderful part of the world with some excellent wild fishing on your doorstep.  Having discovered the delights, I can assure you I shall be returning.

If you're ever over on the East Coast, PM me and I'll be happy to show you some of our local rivers if you're not already familiar.

Tim

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #40 on: 25/05/2012 at 16:16 »
The man takes a lot on himself, He cant just go round doing things like that,we have had meetings with him  but he has this " it's mine "mentallity,  he is also hoping to magically revive Loch Maree,but thats his privilege,easgach 1

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com