Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Peter McCallum

Re: Wild hill loch flies
« Reply #15 on: 02/03/2012 at 13:56 »
One of my first outings to a west coast wild loch which was supposed to have salmon & sea trout saw me using blue zulus etc tied on a #4 salmon hook :shock, fish threw themselves on it all day......biggest? around 11"  :shock :X1

Saying that it's the standard size for Hamish  :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :X2 :X2

Hamish Young

« Reply #16 on: 02/03/2012 at 16:27 »
We should fish together more often Peter...... that way you'd know I seldom fish as small as a #4 :wink
H :z3

Peter McCallum

« Reply #17 on: 02/03/2012 at 17:03 »
 :grin :z4 :z4 :z16 :z16

Euan Innes

« Reply #18 on: 02/03/2012 at 19:39 »
Tis true!

As Geoffrey Bucknall once said "I have a passion for the meat hooks of yore". He was describing old salmon flies, but he could have been talking about H's trout box.

Never forget, big fly big fish.

And Peter, what's this about Hamish's 11"???? Is this and Orvis guide initiation??  :z7

:z1

Dutchfly

« Reply #19 on: 02/03/2012 at 21:58 »
Sorry Tim, never fished there, I know some of the lochs a bit more to the north...

One piece of advice I can give you is to keep moving! Don't change your flies, change your the bank you're fishing them from. I make 5 casts from one spot, then move to the next when I don't catch a fish. When you do hook up, stay a bit longer for number 2 or 3, but when you only catch small fish: move on!

And take Soundmixer's advice, big flies for big fish.

Good luck,

Jeroen

Euan Innes

« Reply #20 on: 02/03/2012 at 23:41 »
And take Soundmixer's advice, big flies for big fish.

Good luck,

Jeroen

Thanks Jeroen

That might be the first time someone has said that, ever!  :wink

Peter McCallum

« Reply #21 on: 03/03/2012 at 01:07 »

And Peter, what's this about Hamish's 11"???? Is this and Orvis guide initiation??  :z7

Thats what he said..........honest your lordship....... :X2 :X2

TimTheFlier

« Reply #22 on: 04/03/2012 at 11:56 »
Jeroen,

Thanks for the tip about moving around - first ever trip to Brown Trout hill lochs, so the advice is greatly appreciated.

I've also heard that if the rain is horizontal the midges can be a plague like pest - is this true for early May ? And will Jungle Formula (50% DEET) keep the little blighters at bay ?

Lastly, any good pubs near Gairloch (I've already heard about Applecross) ?  Gotta have somewhere warm for the tall stories in the evening and to hole up if the W. Scottish weather does it's worst !

Thanks all for attempting to flatten my near-vertical learning curve.

TtF

Peter McCallum

« Reply #23 on: 04/03/2012 at 12:51 »
If you're up in May the midges may not have woken up to their true potential  :z12. As long as you have wind, in any direction, they won't/can't fly so that's a bonus as its usually windy :z16, however I use a west coast developed product called SHOO which hasn't got DEET - nasty stuff which wil F*** up fly lines - in it  :mad :mad :mad.and is very effective IMHO.

Euan Innes

« Reply #24 on: 04/03/2012 at 19:31 »
Lastly, any good pubs near Gairloch

The Old Inn just north of Gairloch is pretty good. Old and traditional, good beer, good food and plenty of whisky  :z18

The pub in Kinlochewe is missable, trust me, but there is a really good B&B with great food and company.

http://www.cromasaig.com

Midges? The only thing that  ever worked for me was not washing for a week and chain smoking roll up cigarettes. But that was a hill walking / wild camping trip and not in the company of other people.
If you can get it Avon "skin so soft" works and some of the stores over there do sell it. Once again DO NOT get it on your fly line or flies.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #25 on: 06/03/2012 at 16:46 »
I discovered a fantastic product up at Ullapool last year called Stop Bite. Does what it says on the tin!

http://www.stopbite.com/

Does not smell too bad and it is totally natural.

Well worth the £5.99

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #26 on: 06/03/2012 at 19:39 »
Up to the mid 70's the old inn was a temperance pub and then it became a mini market before it became a old fashioned traditional pub  :X2 easgach 1

Ben Dixon

« Reply #27 on: 06/03/2012 at 19:43 »

If you can get it Avon "skin so soft" works and some of the stores over there do sell it. Once again DO NOT get it on your fly line or flies.

Only works if you want to look like a leper at the end of the week and smell like an old woman Euan.  I know it works for some but not for me.

Only thing I've tried that actually works, is not toxic and does not trash fishing gear is the Life Systems all natural kiddies insect repellent.  Comes in a small silver pump spray, needs to be reapplied every three hours or so and stings a bit if you get it too near your lips, eyes or up your nose.  Was available from Blacks, about £8.00 a bottle and I got through one and a bit last time I was away for a week.

Cheers

Ben

Noel Kelly

« Reply #28 on: 06/03/2012 at 19:45 »
Up to the mid 70's the old inn was a temperance pub and then it became a mini market before it became a old fashioned traditional pub  :X2 easgach 1

A temperance pub :z4 I have a feeling you aren't joking though ???

Andy Finlay

« Reply #29 on: 06/03/2012 at 21:51 »
You should be OK up to June for Midges but with the way the winter has been they may be a bit early this year if it stays mild.

I'm no expert on flies but I've had some fun on very small klinks when things have been quite calm, definately go with Peters recomendation for DHS.

I also tried an Orange blob just for a change, nearly got thrown out the boat by my fishing partner though, bloody traditionalists :z4 :z4 :z4

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com