Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

TimTheFlier

Wild hill loch flies
« on: 27/02/2012 at 10:30 »
As I'm planning my first ever trip to the West coast of Scotland in May and reasonably new to fly tying I was wondering if anyone could provide some patterns that I could attempt to tie that will suit Brown trout in wild hill lochs.

Thanks in advance,
Tim.

Allan Liddle

Re: Wild hill loch flies
« Reply #1 on: 27/02/2012 at 13:00 »
Plenty to choose from on this list but if i was restricted to a 'Desert Island Flee Choice' it would probably include the following traditionals:

Kate McLaren (standard and green tailed versions and a few with hot orange head hackles)
Bibio
Soldier Palmer
Zulu (with red and blue varients)
Loch Ordie (standard, annorexic and green tailed versions)
Clan Chief
All above with muddler heads
Hogs
Half Hogs
Hoppers
Wickhams
Dunkeld
Greenwells Spider
Snatchers (black, olive and claret)
Silver Invicta
Black Nymph
GRHE

All above commercially available and best to stick to sizes 10-14.  I tend to fish dries almost exclusively noe but a quick check of my go to standard broonie box and all the above are still there and well worth an airing.  There's plenty others i could add to this list but even without them if you stuck to the above you won't go far wrong.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 27/02/2012 at 13:52 »
No Dog Nobblers? :)

I would add some form of stickleback imitation to that list, for when the wind is wrong, the colour is wrong and the fish just arnt having it.

Has saved a few blank days :)

Allan Liddle

« Reply #3 on: 27/02/2012 at 14:48 »
Ok a couple of lures best of which would be the Humongus (Shuggy) but black or olive WSW type tadpoles also worth a swim.  The olive damsel certainly works well as an anchor in big wind days behind your other two flees in a team.

Peter McCallum

« Reply #4 on: 27/02/2012 at 16:47 »
My most productive fly by a long way is a Deer Hair Sedge (DHS) as per Bob Wyatt

http://www.danica.com/FLYTIER/rwyatt/deer_hair_sedge.htm

Completely bomb proof and absolutely deadly. Fish it dry or wet or in between either on it's own or part of a team. A green or orange body is also a good change.....hell fish two (or three) of them on a cast  :z4 :z4

Allan Liddle

« Reply #5 on: 27/02/2012 at 20:58 »
Yup agree with that Peter.  Whilst you've posted the link i'd like to add the Veyatie Black as well

Euan Innes

« Reply #6 on: 28/02/2012 at 06:50 »
All above commercially available and best to stick to sizes 10-14

You might want all those in #8s as well you know. Trust me on this one.... :wink

Add in claret and golden olive bumbles, mallard (or grouse) and claret and you'll be fine.

Tight lines.

:z1

TimTheFlier

« Reply #7 on: 28/02/2012 at 12:31 »
Thank you all for the speedy replies and some great suggestions - I shall get tying and report back on success (or lack thereof !) aftre the trip.

TtF

Dutchfly

« Reply #8 on: 28/02/2012 at 19:02 »
Hi Tim,
Just curious, where are you going to fish?

All patterns are great, but be sure to bring some black Klinkhamers as well!

Jeroen

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #9 on: 28/02/2012 at 21:02 »
That you giving all yer secrets away Allan?  :X2 easgach1

Barry Robertson

« Reply #10 on: 28/02/2012 at 21:08 »
Nae many secrets there easgach  :wink

I guess i would add a dunkeld sparkler and a dunkeld snatcher to the flies already mentioned!

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #11 on: 29/02/2012 at 12:08 »
Thats Dryflees diversion Tactics, never let yr right hand know what it is doing,  :X2 easgach1

TimTheFlier

« Reply #12 on: 02/03/2012 at 11:57 »
Dryflee,
My special thanks to you for the list (and additonal suggestions) - that is exactly what I was hoping for.

Jeroen,
Dank u voor uw advies - we're planning to stay near Gairloch and explore the wild hill lochs in the vicinity over about 4 or 5 days.  Can't wait as it's my first trip of the sort and want to stack the luck as much in my favour as possible by at least taking along a selection of flies that should be suitable.

Soundmixer,
Surprised that you suggest #8 !  I was expecting "the smaller the better" for wild hill brownies, so that's come as quite a surprise.

RabbitAngler,
I shall ensure to include a mixture of sizes of the DHS.

The rest of you,
Again, thanks for all the suggestions and advice.

Regards,
Tim.

Peter McCallum

« Reply #13 on: 02/03/2012 at 12:10 »

RabbitAngler,
I shall ensure to include a mixture of sizes of the DHS.

I must admit I only use them in 10's :z16

Euan Innes

« Reply #14 on: 02/03/2012 at 13:28 »
Soundmixer,
Surprised that you suggest #8 !  I was expecting "the smaller the better" for wild hill brownies, so that's come as quite a surprise.

Hungry little trout no know bounds, my friend!  :z4
You wait until the wind picks up. Saying that a flat calm last year had them slashing at #8s so you never know.

:z1

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com