Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Fly Rods from carrots?
« on: 08/02/2007 at 19:23 »
I heard whispers about this a couple of years ago, but I caught the tail end of a report about them on the news tonight  :cool:

A company based in Fyfe ( Cellucomp? ) is building up to launching a new range of "green" fly rods made basically from composite carrot fibres and resin  :cool:

A new material for building fly rod blanks ..... This is exciting  :z14

I have visited their website, which I found disappointing ( must confess I am not sure what I was expecting to see though? ) and so I thought I'd ask you folks if you had heard more about them ..... or better still tried one?

Magnus maybe?

Best wishes
Mike Barrio

Website = http://www.cellucomp.com/

Sandy Nelson

Fly Rods from carrots?
« Reply #1 on: 08/02/2007 at 20:04 »
Will they help you fish in the dark?

:lol:

wildfisher

Fly Rods from carrots?
« Reply #2 on: 08/02/2007 at 20:40 »
Which herbs are used in the recipe?

Sage?

Mike Barrio

Fly Rods from carrots?
« Reply #3 on: 08/02/2007 at 21:58 »
OK .......... so you two maybe think this has got something to do with "the nice men in the white coats" again  :z3

I'm serious  :z12

Best wishes
Mike

wildfisher

Fly Rods from carrots?
« Reply #4 on: 08/02/2007 at 22:19 »
Quote from: "Mike Barrio"

I'm serious ...........

I know you are, I saw it on TV tonight too!  Bizarre or what? It simply confirms what we already know. Fly fishers are bloody daft.

Being a Scottish  outfit one may have reasonably expected then to use the more traditional neep rather than carrots.

Mind you if  we were to subsequently learn that the Swedes have already taken out  a patent   it would not really be a  turnip for the books

:grin:

spiros

Fly Rods from carrots?
« Reply #5 on: 08/02/2007 at 22:28 »
Whats up Doc just saw Bugs Bunny eating a ten foot 4 weight rod now i have seen this not so confused  :lol:

Paul

Tam Greenock

Fly Rods from carrots?
« Reply #6 on: 09/02/2007 at 08:50 »
Wish l had been one of their original investors tho  :cool:

Rob Brownfield

Fly Rods from carrots?
« Reply #7 on: 09/02/2007 at 12:33 »
Nowt new in that...my Landrover chassis is made with carrots...and potatoes..and neeps..and anything else that I can fill all the rust holes with  :sad:

I am guessing that they will be similar to built cane, in that they will be solid???..or like the B&W Hexagraph with a foam core?

King Monkey

Fly Rods from carrots?
« Reply #8 on: 09/02/2007 at 13:22 »
Mike
I heard the report on Radio Scotland yesterday.
As you say,a company in Fife.
Two entrepreneurs fae Burntisland apparently.

Cheers
JB.

Fly Rods from carrots?
« Reply #9 on: 10/02/2007 at 07:41 »
They already build rods out of Arundinaria amabilis  The lovely reed, or as they say in Cantonese, cha kan chuk- the tea stick.  Bears love to eat it.  

Ilove to fish with it.

H2o

Tam Greenock

Fly Rods from carrots?
« Reply #10 on: 10/02/2007 at 10:08 »
Apparently they are going on sale for £140 per hundred weight  :grin:

Tam Greenock

Fly Rods from carrots?
« Reply #11 on: 16/03/2007 at 16:03 »
Just noticed that these rods are now for sale at Justcast.co.uk, look good but quite dear at £350

Fly Rods from carrots?
« Reply #12 on: 28/03/2007 at 12:29 »
Hi had a call from justcast today,
they are looking to do demonstrations on the carrot rods, they are looking at possibly visiting Pitfour some time soon, (dont know if they are contacting other fisheries in the area)

there new website is up and runing www.justcast.co.uk rods start at £325 for 7ft6, only dissapointing thing for me is the colour - they only come in blue green and black i really hoped they would be available in carrot orange!

will post here if they do plan a trip up to pitfour.

andrew

Rob Brownfield

Fly Rods from carrots?
« Reply #13 on: 28/03/2007 at 13:06 »
I would be very interested to see these rods in the flesh and have a cast...as I have broken 3 Hardy demonstration rods in the past, I would like to see if I can make it 4 expensive rods ;)

I would be worried that I might get peckish and have a bite of the blank!

Seriously though, I am very interested in the construction and performance of these rods.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com