Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Liam Stephen

Most important bit of kit?
« on: 19/02/2012 at 11:39 »
What do you consider to be your most important bit of kit? The one essential you couldn't imagine going fishing without. I'm sure we will all have different views on this, will be interesting to see what others think. For me it would have to be my fly line. Over to you guys  :z16

Liam

Loxiafan

Re: Most important bit of kit?
« Reply #1 on: 19/02/2012 at 13:22 »
Me !  :z4

I am not sure if this answers your question, and given the reel 'tarts' on here  :wink, I am probably in the minority on this but here is my order of priority/importance (in descent):

correct presentation - quality hook - reliable tippet - good fly line - decent rod and last of all a functioning reel

You could possibly swap hook for tippet actually, but good hooks 'hook up' more don't tend to bend or break. I obviously need them all, but to me a good tippet and hook that you have confidence in is way more important than a great reel and even a great rod, and the correct presentation of a fly rather than 'matching the hatch' exactly. So for me, it's the 'business' end.

Lindsay

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 19/02/2012 at 17:23 »
A lifejacket...simples.

Peter McCallum

« Reply #3 on: 19/02/2012 at 17:28 »
Assuming rod reel line tippet and fly are a given (since it's pointless without them) I'd say a decent pair of polaroids for protection from aforesaid tackle but more importantly to have an idea of what's going on subsurface. Oh and it helps prevent headaches caused by glare on our occasional sunny moments  :z4 :X2 

Iain Goolager

« Reply #4 on: 19/02/2012 at 17:37 »
It is most likely the item which you forgot to take with you, quite often only coming to light as it's needed.
 Could be your ketchup release, polaroids, landing net, wading staff, etc.  One thing which instantly springs to mind is leader sinkant , been without it a couple of times last season and it really knocks my confidence.

Iain

Ewan Lindsay

« Reply #5 on: 19/02/2012 at 19:08 »
Assuming the Zippo doesn't count  :z3;

It's a tie between Sinkant/Floatant and Polaroids.

Ewan

Barry Robertson

« Reply #6 on: 19/02/2012 at 20:28 »
A condom  :z4

Liam Stephen

« Reply #7 on: 19/02/2012 at 20:36 »
Oh me  :z4  :z4 was I not specific enough in my post??  :oops  :wink

Liam

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #8 on: 19/02/2012 at 21:57 »
My polaroids  :z16 wouldn't even go casting on grass without them.

Everything else is optional  :z7

Sandy

Iain Goolager

« Reply #9 on: 19/02/2012 at 22:16 »
My polaroids

I know you're into your photography but surely that's taking things too far?  :X2

Iain

Liam Stephen

« Reply #10 on: 19/02/2012 at 22:32 »
I need to get a pair polariods for the new season, had too many close calls  :oops :oops

Liam

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #11 on: 20/02/2012 at 09:13 »
if you do Liam

remember they are there to protect your eyes and improve your view into the water.
Its my opinion that yellow/amber lenses are the best for all round fishing in this part of the world.
Pink (rose) is pretty good too but i prefer yellow :z16 it makes everyday feel 10 degrees warmer and improves your vision under clouds, it also makes light coloured flylines stand out better on the water, so its win, win all round.

I'm sure other people will have a different view, but brown,blue and grey lenses whilst great for driving, the tropics and the height of summer are a disadvantage in standard Scottish weather conditions IMHO. I'd try a few as i find most "fishing" glasses a little bit on the big side, never quite understood why :z8

:z18
Sandy

Ben Dixon

« Reply #12 on: 20/02/2012 at 10:11 »
Hi Liam,

I use yellow all the time, cuts out little light but gives great contrast and makes a dull day sunny!  My favourites are Vision X Spiders, fairly cheap and superb lenses, plastic and easily scratched but more resilient than Oakleys.

Cheers

Ben

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #13 on: 20/02/2012 at 11:24 »
Ahhh, Polaroids...the good, the bad and the ugly!

Being a glasses wearer its a nightmare to get decent polaroids.

Jan Keur

« Reply #14 on: 20/02/2012 at 12:15 »
Ahhh, Polaroids...the good, the bad and the ugly!

Being a glasses wearer its a nightmare to get decent polaroids.

Yo Rob, I'm a "four eyed" flyfisherman  :z4 and I can't do anything without my specs.!

I found a great Polaroid in the Cocoon selection!!
Super!!
I strongly recommend the Cocoon specs wich fit perfect over your "normal" glasses!!

Succes!!

Jan.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com