Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Jonathan Kerr

shooting head for Guideline AWM 14ft 9/10
« on: 18/02/2012 at 14:13 »
Hi folks,

Having recently started salmon fishing (first go this morning!) i'm looking for a shooting head for a Guideline AWM 14ft 9/10 i'm borrowing from a friend.  I've made shooting heads before for my trout rods, but as i'm completely new to salmon rod casting i'm really looking for an easy-ish option!

After searching online for the last hour or so i've see that the Guideline Power Taper 'Ready To Go' lines could be a good option...in fact...the 'distance' ones are cheap on GAC just now...£25. Does anyone own the above rod, or able to advise if this is indeed a good line in the 9/10, or are there other good line options or weights that might suit better?

thanks!

Jonathan

outspan001

Re: shooting head for Guideline AWM 14ft 9/10
« Reply #1 on: 18/02/2012 at 18:25 »
Hi there,

Go buy the ones at GAC.

I have a guideline Le Cie 12ft 6in 8/9 and have a full selection of heads for that. They are fantastic for the rods. The ones at GAC are the distance ones which are 13m long, which are a little more difficult to cast if you are new to Salmon fishing, but should be no issues. I learnt using these heads and they are great. I find that for big tubes etc i prefer the 11.5m short cut ones, as they turn the fly over better.

I have a selection of 9/10 wt ones that i use on my Loop 14ft opti spey, and they go like a rocket. They are my fav shooting head, and with them being prelooped ( the ready to go ones ), they are easy to use, no faffing around cutting down for the rod.

I have a couple of the original guideline shooting heads that you have to cut to size, so that they suit your action, they are good but are a bit more faffing around. You can go to the guideline website and it gives the recommended head wt for the rod, and then you can use the power taper calculator to work out how much to cut them down by. Make sure you measure them first though as mine was supposed to be 13.5m, and it was 13.2m in real life, so didn't need as much cut off.

Let me know if you need any help, as i went through this about 18 months ago when i started salmon fishing also.

Cheers

Mark

Jonathan Kerr

« Reply #2 on: 19/02/2012 at 00:22 »
Hi Mark,

thanks for the reply. at the moment i'm liking the price of the ready to go ones on GAC. could you tell me if you think the float/sink1 or the hover/int would be the better option? I'm sure they both have their purposes, but i'm looking for the best all rounder as i'm just looking to buy one for the moment.  (also just noticed the Rio AFS 9/10 which isn't as expensive as i thought and could be another good option?)

thanks
Jonathan

outspan001

« Reply #3 on: 19/02/2012 at 10:41 »
Hi there,

It depends where you will be fishing, last year on the Dee, i used the hover intermidate mostly, but when fishing the top end of the Deveron it was sank to fast and i moved over for a sink tip. Both are great lines and not that difficult to cast, even the intermediate.

Where will you be using it????, and again it will depend on water level. At the moment on the Deveron i was out for the first time the otherday i am using a sink tip, but for a day on the Dee next week/week after i will use a hover intermdiate or intermediate sink 1 due to the fast flow of the river and this will get the fly's down.

Cheers

Mark

Jonathan Kerr

« Reply #4 on: 19/02/2012 at 19:46 »
Hi again,

I'll be fishing association water so the Dee and Don mainly. After speaking to my mate who is teaching me to cast and lent me the rod i'm thinking i will go for a rio afs floater kit (unless any better options come up second hand etc before next weekend!)

thanks for your input mark!

Jonathan

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com