Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Noel Kelly

Haddo?
« on: 18/02/2012 at 01:40 »
Hi mike,
You will probably hate me for this but you do realise you have a responsibility to us Haddo junkies, don't you?

Few questions for you.
How have the brownies coped?
When is opening day 2012?
 :X2
Noel.

Ben Dixon

Re: Haddo?
« Reply #1 on: 18/02/2012 at 08:39 »
Hi Noel,

Haddo is due to re open some time around the beginning of March.  To my knowledge the trout have overwintered well, Sandy can probably give a more accurate assessment.

Cheers

Ben

Liam Stephen

« Reply #2 on: 18/02/2012 at 13:00 »
I'd like to book a boat for whenever it opens please Mike if you dont mind. I can't wait to catch a Brownie  :z15 :z15

Liam  :z16

Graham Ritchie

« Reply #3 on: 19/02/2012 at 12:46 »
Does the brown trout season not open until 15th March?

Noel Kelly

« Reply #4 on: 19/02/2012 at 17:06 »
Not sure if closed season still applies to enclosed fisheries like Haddo?

Graham Ritchie

« Reply #5 on: 19/02/2012 at 20:24 »
It does in Scotland.

Noel Kelly

« Reply #6 on: 19/02/2012 at 21:18 »
Well guess it will be march 15th then.

Liam Stephen

« Reply #7 on: 19/02/2012 at 21:27 »
Mike mentioned the beginning of March  :z8 is it the same even for stocked brownies??

Liam

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #8 on: 19/02/2012 at 21:54 »
There are still triploid rainbows in Haddo :wink despite the bias towards the broonies.
But I would imagine Mike will open around the middle of march :wink once everything is ready for people to visit.
The fish seem to have over wintered well, so I'm expecting tough but highly rewarding fishing
For the start of the haddo season.

Are you up for it :z16
Good, me too :z18

Sandy

Barry Robertson

« Reply #9 on: 20/02/2012 at 19:07 »
Just out of intrest how can you tell a fish has overwintered well untill you get one in the net to give it a good going over??
And as for the fishing to be tough i would of guessed it would of been the other extreme as they wouldnt have had much to chase over the closed season and dare say anything pulled past them they would be latching onto for the first couple of weeks after opening!
Just my thoughts ......  :z18

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #10 on: 20/02/2012 at 19:18 »
Just out of intrest how can you tell a fish has overwintered well untill you get one in the net to give it a good going over??
And as for the fishing to be tough i would of guessed it would of been the other extreme as they wouldnt have had much to chase over the closed season and dare say anything pulled past them they would be latching onto for the first couple of weeks after opening!
Just my thoughts ......  :z18

Far too much grub in the loch for that me old and trust me the fish are doing well :wink
I've been watching them feed heavily on the corixa and damsels/alders/shrimp and other nymphs that proliferate the loch.
The joys of relatively shallow clear water :z16

Sandy

Barry Robertson

« Reply #11 on: 20/02/2012 at 19:59 »
I will take your word that they are in good shape then  :wink
Regarding the food available for trout i still reckon the broonies would love a chase  :X2

Liam Stephen

« Reply #12 on: 20/02/2012 at 20:08 »
Baz as for the brownies liking a chase, well... They certainly do!!  :z12 Near closed season last year most of my Haddo fishing consisted of pulling lures  :z7 I experimented with all sorts of colours and variations, and found that if it landed with a plop a moved the Browns would chase. it's bloody great fun when they're in the mood, even if you ain't catching :z16

Liam

Noel Kelly

« Reply #13 on: 20/02/2012 at 21:41 »
As young Liam said they sure loved a chase last year alright. They would chase all feckin day. Getting them to open their gobs and swallow the flee was another matter.... :z8

Barry Robertson

« Reply #14 on: 20/02/2012 at 21:45 »
Cmon Noel i am sure you know how to get them to hold on by now! Not long now till the Den of Ogil opens back up and the chase will realy be on for sure, cant wait!

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com