Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Re: River Don 2012
« Reply #810 on: 09/10/2012 at 00:51 »
Enjoyed a great day on the Don today :z16

Kelly kettle coffee was awesome thanks Kev! Wading the river in the wrong waders was as slippery as ever! No fish for me today, but I had a grand time in good company!

Best wishes
Mike

Peter McCallum

« Reply #811 on: 09/10/2012 at 18:21 »
Hey Kev your loops look almost as good as mr D's  :z12

Iain Goolager

« Reply #812 on: 09/10/2012 at 20:08 »
Nice Autumnal picture that 1st one Mike  :z16

is it a prerequisite that to fish that particular pool 'anglers' must stand in the same spot and wear the same clothes?  :z4

nothing quite like a fresh brew & bullshot on a cold day, nice one. :z3

Iain

Iain Cameron

« Reply #813 on: 09/10/2012 at 20:52 »
'anglers' must stand in the same spot and wear the same clothes? 

it's either identikit Orvis guide gear, or else they only had one set of clobber between them... i'm betting on the latter, since you don't see them both in the picture at once ....

Iain Goolager

« Reply #814 on: 09/10/2012 at 21:00 »
now that'd be a quick change situation that I wouldn't like to witness..gadz!

Ben Dixon

« Reply #815 on: 10/10/2012 at 00:22 »
Few more pics, cracking day out :z16

Coffee with your sugar Sir?

Ben

Mike Barrio

« Reply #816 on: 10/10/2012 at 11:01 »
Photos of Kev and Ben were in the same pool as I was enjoying my fishing so much during the day that I forgot to get the camera out :oops

Cheers
Mike

Peter McCallum

« Reply #817 on: 10/10/2012 at 11:12 »
Few more pics, cracking day out :z16

Ben

See you were in Muirs car then :z4 :z4

Ben Dixon

« Reply #818 on: 10/10/2012 at 11:47 »
Yes Pete, glove box kept twatting me so I had to fix it as Kev was struggling to find his "special tool" (broken specs & piece of coathanger) that he uses to open & close it.  I like the look Pete, I'm calling it art.

Ben

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #819 on: 10/10/2012 at 12:33 »
I'm calling it art.

Piet Mondriaan will be turning in his grave :z4 :z4

Bonny pictures though :z16

Sandy

Peter McCallum

« Reply #820 on: 10/10/2012 at 19:00 »
Yes Pete, glove box kept twatting me so I had to fix it as Kev was struggling to find his "special tool" (broken specs & piece of coathanger) that he uses to open & close it.  I like the look Pete, I'm calling it art.

Ben

Hey the V & A  are opening a gallery in Dundee, looks just the sort of cack art they may be interested in    :X2 :z4 :z16

Kevin Muir

« Reply #821 on: 10/10/2012 at 21:07 »
It was a great day out and it was very interesting to watch other people approach a pool.

That jacket is very good, the great think about it in colder weather, it has fleece lined handwarmer pockets.

The wind was a nightmare for a good part of the day, it made casting more than a little trcky especially with fast sink tips.

I see the cat has been let out of the bag regarding my glovebox tool, I was just about to apply for patent protection for that too, never mind everyone can now make one like it if they pull the handle off their glovebox in a fit of rage just like I did.  Stupid car, where are my 3" screws, a 6" nail would be a little rough?

I need to get a Kelly Kettle, it boiled the water so fast, that will be on my list of toys to buy this winter.

I also need to spend more time tying Salmon flies, no hardship there and it is great to see a new fly box being filled.

Mike, your photos captured the colours very well, it was a great day out sharing a few pools on the Don.

It was very interesting watching Ben as he fished his way down the pools, no simple chuck it over and let it swing back here, very technical and not what I was expecting.

Thanks for a great day out guys.

Kev, (off to order a new glovebox handle now :z4)

Allan Liddle

« Reply #822 on: 12/10/2012 at 11:54 »
Nothin wrong with it Kev. :z4

Crackin pics guys, looks like a good day out.

Allan L

danbruce

« Reply #823 on: 16/10/2012 at 22:30 »
A friend of mine and I recently had a trip to the upper don for a days salmon fishing, with the heavy rain fall last week we were watching the river levels with great interest hoping for the level to drop back to a decent level for our day.
Armed with a load of info on how best to fish the beat we were quietly confident of our chances. We arrived at the beat after driving through rain and light snow showers, this seemed to have pushed the water up slightly but by the time we tackled up the sky had cleared and it was a lovely day all be it quite chilly.

We fished all the pools on the beat right through and the main holding pools got a good going over on a number of occasions. Sadly neither of us had anything to show for our day except the odd knock and a 8" brownie that hammered my Junction shrimp. What I did find strange was that we never saw a salmon the whole day, guess the drop in temperature maybe put them down. Never the less it was an enjoyable day and a lovely beat to cover on a single hander(although I have to say the 7wt barrio slx I was fishing certainly made casting fast sinking tips and small tubes easier)

Do have a couple of photos but will add them to the post when I get near a computer.
Dan

Matt Henderson

« Reply #824 on: 19/10/2012 at 19:30 »
As the saying goes if you don't have your fly in the water you won't catch any fish!

I had planned to be at the river at dawn today but given the rain yesterday and some advice from two local experts that the river would be unfishable.  So I waited until after lunchtime to go and walk the beat that I hadn't fished before only to find the pools fishable and the water clear. Lost a good fish on an emerald Stoat. Quite a few fish caught by other guys today on the beat.

Cheers Matt

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com