Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Loxiafan

Re: River Don 2012
« Reply #795 on: 29/09/2012 at 23:27 »
Any action today gentlemen? Weather looking reasonable tomorrow so I think a few hrs is in order early morning. Anyone up for it?

Had a couple of nice sub-pounders on the dry this afternoon low ADAA beat - very difficult conditions with wind wreaking absolute havoc. Saw a couple of nice fish rising, one impossible hugging far bank and one mid stream that was almost impossible in the wind and currents. A lull in the wind finally let me get a fly right over its nose, gulp, hooked, ran a bit then slack. Arse. Was over 2lbs too.

Quite a lot of Medium Olives from 4.30pm onwards, skittering about on the surface in the wind. Feeshes were taking emergers or cripples though.

I will be out 2moro if rain does not colour river overnight, possibly 'upriver'.

Lindsay

Noel Kelly

« Reply #796 on: 29/09/2012 at 23:44 »
Was over 2lbs too.
 :shock noooooo bugger that would have been a good fish to finish on!

I will be out 2moro if rain does not colour river overnight, possibly 'upriver'.

I'm also thinking upriver but not def, wish I could get out afternoon now after reading your post but tomorrow is the all ireland hurling final on telly from 3.30. But I don't expect you to know anything bout that lol.

Lindsay

Iain Goolager

« Reply #797 on: 29/09/2012 at 23:45 »
Well done Linsay,

quite a respectable consistent hatch of olives where I was too and loads of wee fellas snacking on them, had to switch from nimpf to Johns' Jingler to bag a few.

Just a glimmer of a chance of sneaking a last fling later tomorrow but 'er indoors has a list of stuff for the laddie that needs attending to and I also really want to get to the GAC early doors.

Dan, did you venture out?

Iain

Iain Goolager

« Reply #798 on: 29/09/2012 at 23:47 »
Was over 2lbs too.

Did you lose it in the weed?  :X2 :z4

Iain

Iain Goolager

« Reply #799 on: 29/09/2012 at 23:52 »
but tomorrow is the all ireland hurling final on telly from 3.30.

Hopefully I'll see it too Trig - either that or on the other side there's pro-celebrity wool winding which will be equaly enthralling.

Iain

Loxiafan

« Reply #800 on: 30/09/2012 at 00:02 »
Did you lose it in the weed?  :X2 :z4

For once, no  :z4 Just 'bad angling' from too much slack line from reach cast, multiple upstream mends to avoid drag blah, blah. If there had been no wind I reckon I'd have had a pretty mental afternoon. I did find a Member's fishing waistcoat in the car park though....efforts being made to return it.

You did well in thae conditions too 'min, especially mono-leadering it - Plutonium headed bugs perchance ??!

Re GAC LEAVE THE PLASTIC AT HOME !

Lindsay

PS thus far the Helios 10' 4wt is my dream rod, absolutely brilliant !

Iain Cameron

« Reply #801 on: 30/09/2012 at 08:45 »
Quite a lot of Medium Olives from 4.30pm onwards, skittering about on the surface in the wind. Feeshes were taking emergers or cripples though.

Good to hear Lindsay - I'me tied up until about 4pm today, but will get myself out for a late afternoon last fling on the lower Don.
Wind was crazy yesterday, so good effort on getting out,

cheers
iain

danbruce

« Reply #802 on: 30/09/2012 at 10:40 »
Dan, did you venture out?

Unfortunately I never made it out Iain.
Looking forward to getting out today though, weather looks better than yesterday so should be good.

Dan

Iain Cameron

« Reply #803 on: 30/09/2012 at 19:56 »
ah well, the trout are safe for another season!

Went out for a last fling, more just for the ritual of doing it than for anything else. Lovely evening to be out, and wee trout rising regularly, but seemingly not interested in the sedges that were fluttering about. 

Managed one little chap of 6-8oz, then just enjoyed casting a dry on running water for the last time this season. Though saying that, I saw what I suspect were grilse or sea trout slashing at sedges a couple of times. Maybe if the levels stay low, that could be an interesting option...

View from the start of the walk.

Bye bye trout! until next year

Loxiafan

« Reply #804 on: 30/09/2012 at 20:09 »
Well, me and Dan gave it a go "upriver" - nothing showing, nada. Water very low, bright sunshine and downstream wind. Pants. So we tried "downriver" where I was yesterday.

On arriving, encouraging signs of Medium Olives and fish taking them. All the good fish were too far out (as usual). I did manage to return the waistcoat I found in the car park last night. Turns out it had around £500 of Salmon flies in it including original Ally McGowans ! And after all that spirited altruism how did Karma repay me ? By the magnet failing on my Waistcoat D ring and my £64.99 MacLean's Short Handled Weigh Net disappearing to the bottom of the river. Despite extensive searching I couldn't find it. ***T.

In between, I managed a 10oz, that, wait for it.......I nearly lost in the weeds. Dan thought I was in to a monster ! I also managed to hook a fish of just under a pound mid river (by wading) that I scoped last night. Very satisfying...until the hook pulled out. That fish possibly cost me my net.

All in all a mixed day, but at least some fish action and time spent in good company. Phuk Karma though.

Lindsay ( My Name certainly is not Earl ! )

danbruce

« Reply #805 on: 30/09/2012 at 21:21 »
Yeah was an enjoyable day on the river. Shame there was nothing doing up at kemnay, I really liked the look of the beat. My final day of the season(much like me first day) ended in a blank. Can't complain too much, nice weather and good company made it enjoyable.
Today certainly gave me a few ideas for next season and also the remainder of the Salmon season.

I managed a 10oz, that, wait for it.......I nearly lost in the weeds. Dan thought I was in to a monster !

Certainly did, I looked down river to see your rod with a fair bend in it, thought it was going to be cracker.

Cheers for a good days fishing and bring on the winter Grayling.

Dan

Steven Kidd

« Reply #806 on: 01/10/2012 at 09:58 »
A nice day on the River Don from this year.

Cheers,

Skidd

Mike Barrio

« Reply #807 on: 01/10/2012 at 10:05 »
Great photos Steven :z16

Cheers
Mike

Noel Kelly

« Reply #808 on: 04/10/2012 at 19:50 »
Really nice pictures those Steve.

Loxiafan

« Reply #809 on: 05/10/2012 at 12:09 »
Really nice pictures those Steve.

They are indeed, very arty. I'd wager a female photographer ?

Linz

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com