Re: River Don 2012
« Reply #780 on: 11/09/2012 at 15:25 »
Iain,
Your mental.

Noel Kelly

« Reply #781 on: 11/09/2012 at 18:03 »

I must add a point of note there Lindsay,

I tried to photograph a Kingfisher years ago after hearing the distinctive PEEP,PEEP,PEEP that you describe only to be knocked down by a reversing bin lorry!  Beware.

It's true

Iain

Iain that's tragic. It must have hit you a few times I'd say and all the blows in the head area? Awful just awful, those damn twitchers and their bin lorries. They have the river banks ruined.

Allan Liddle

« Reply #782 on: 12/09/2012 at 13:52 »
Widnae have been round these parts, here they just stop in the middle of the road

Loxiafan

« Reply #783 on: 12/09/2012 at 16:08 »
Widnae have been round these parts, here they just stop in the middle of the road

The Scaffie Wagons or the Twitchers Allan ?  :z4

L

Allan Liddle

« Reply #784 on: 12/09/2012 at 17:55 »
Both  :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4

Mark Zhang

« Reply #785 on: 24/09/2012 at 12:33 »
Went out last Saturday morning. The plan was for Salmon, but nothing after 2 hours, so change to trout. Caught this one on the Nyphm. Not as big as photo shows, 8 or 9in I guess, but fight hard. quick returned, hope can see him next year.  :z15

I used to do Carp fishing, this time of the year is the best time, they are feeding all the time. and getting fat for winter. how about the trout? they are really quiet now, and they don't look very fat.  :z8 are they on diet? Cheers.

Mark

Loxiafan

« Reply #786 on: 25/09/2012 at 12:24 »
...they are feeding all the time. and getting fat for winter. how about the trout? they are really quiet now, and they don't look very fat.  :z8 are they on diet?

Generally, it is considered that it is mainly trout of a certain size will breed (hence ADAA recommendation to return all fish of 2 lbs and over....how about making it a RULE for next year guys, com'on ). However, I have caught smaller fish that had eggs or testes (in the bad old days) and you do also get 'precocious parr'. Any breeding fish will have started (before now) to convert some body fat to gonad production so they will not all look plump and well fed. BT at this time of year would generally not be considered good eating.....but then us guys all put them back, right  :z16

Lindsay

Loxiafan

« Reply #787 on: 27/09/2012 at 12:40 »
Looks like I might make closing day afterall, maybe also Saturday late PM early evening  :z18 Anyone else going out ? Would be nice to meet up with a few of the folks I have bumped in to and kept in touch with over the season. Let's hope the weather holds out ! It is a long six months though till it all kicks off again :cry

Lindsay

danbruce

« Reply #788 on: 27/09/2012 at 12:48 »
Well it is looking good for me to make it out over the weekend so if you drop me a pm and let me know where you are heading. I should make it out for a little while.

Cheers
Dan

Loxiafan

« Reply #789 on: 28/09/2012 at 12:42 »
....forecast for Sunday looks absolute jobbies, and just as the river is hitting a good level too.

L

Iain Goolager

« Reply #790 on: 28/09/2012 at 17:29 »
Lindz there is a slight chance that I'll make it out Saturday afternoon/ early evening.
It would be good to see you before the season ends so let me know if you are out then.

TACTICS..........

Larger trout will accept streamers/ lures, witnessed a 2 lb trout chasing a 6" trout today (it was attached to my nymph at the time) awesome.
Smaller Trout were seen today taking Duns so don't forget your dries
Nymphing and spidering is worth a throw.

River has a hint of a tinge but almost back to 'normal'

Iain

Allan Liddle

« Reply #791 on: 28/09/2012 at 18:06 »
Interesting to hear that lower areas are still producing as well with good fish (2lb's a good fish in anyone's book).

Can't help thinking the upper head waters should be the place to be, especially after all the recent rain and Autumnal conditions?
Anyone fish these bits recently (no beat names please, just a general question  :wink)

Allan L

Noel Kelly

« Reply #792 on: 28/09/2012 at 21:38 »
I may have a brief foray on Sunday morning. Last year in the dying days I had my best streamer caught brownie 2&1/4lbs, looked for a pic tonight but can't find it. That was on a middle beat, shortly after I hooked and lost a salmon on the same streamer, a wooly bugger :z4
If anyone fancies a few hrs Sunday morn would be cool to join up. Thinking the upper adaa beat but open to suggestions.

Loxiafan

« Reply #793 on: 28/09/2012 at 21:39 »
Lindz there is a slight chance that I'll make it out Saturday afternoon/ early evening.
It would be good to see you before the season ends so let me know if you are out then.

Hi Iain,

Brilliant stuff min ! Will PM you and a note of my mobile number (and to see where you were today !). Working till 1.30pm though...

Was going armed with dries - I have done 'surface' tactics pretty much all season so closing weekend will be the same. JW had a good hatch of Medium Olives on Saturday so size 19 JT Olive for me.....

Linz

Noel Kelly

« Reply #794 on: 29/09/2012 at 21:43 »
Any action today gentlemen? Weather looking reasonable tomorrow so I think a few hrs is in order early morning. Anyone up for it?

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com