Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Matt Henderson

Re: River Don 2012
« Reply #750 on: 05/09/2012 at 07:22 »
Fished the lower river on Friday and on Tuesday night.  Not a lot moving and caught nothing.  Had a guide on Friday who was putting out a very nice line with his switch rod, was extremely knowledgble about his local stretch and makes a braw cup of coffee too!  It's a bit of a mince photo due to the light and I think the lense steamed up a bit after being inside my waders!

Fished in the evening last night, must remember to put my headtorch back in my jacket!

Cheers

Matt :z16

Iain Cameron

« Reply #751 on: 05/09/2012 at 09:09 »
hi Matt - it was a good day's wandering around the lower Don last friday. Shame the fish didn't appear keen.
Loving using the 6wt switch rod at the moment - as a light spey-style double-hander it feels just right for the low water late summer conditions.
cheers
iain

Steven Kidd

« Reply #752 on: 05/09/2012 at 16:05 »
I am going to try the following methods for the broons tonight for the first time.......

Czech Nymphing
French Nymphing
Polish Nymphing

I'm going to also try finding a Nymphomaniac.

I'll keep you posted.

Cheers,

Skidd

Noel Kelly

« Reply #753 on: 05/09/2012 at 18:06 »
Now you've done it. Iain will no doubt be down the river in a skirt tonight looking for you!

josh

« Reply #754 on: 05/09/2012 at 18:55 »
Yeah I think I have common sense mike hense me saying lol at the end makes it a joke if u have common sense lol

Iain Goolager

« Reply #755 on: 05/09/2012 at 18:59 »
 ???

Anyway, hope you are not referring to me Trig.

Good luck Stevie.

Iain

Noel Kelly

« Reply #756 on: 05/09/2012 at 20:47 »
Ahem...of course not Iain. Nor you either Iain. It's that other Iain I'm on about the upstream nymphomaniac :X2

Steven Kidd

« Reply #757 on: 05/09/2012 at 22:29 »
Well the nymphing went well, never caught anything, but I now understand how it works.  I won a sage ESN on ebay by mistake and am now figuring out what it is for??.

Anyone use either nymphing methods on the Don with much success?

I am loath to go the whole french set up with no fly line, anyone tried it?

Cheers,

Steven

Iain Goolager

« Reply #758 on: 05/09/2012 at 23:47 »
Typical, warm days and evenings and the season is fading.

Been out a few times over the last week and surface activity has been worth the trip although the larger fish have been few and far between (also, either oncers or patrolling an area too large to chance speculating in calm conditions).
Dry fly has been the order of the day as there are pods of 1/2 - 3/4lb feeding fish to be found, and spooked, with the chance of a 1lb or so fish in their midst.

A couple of photo's from the last few trips and a poor camera phone shot from tonight.

Steve,
I tried the leader to hand set up about a month ago and although it was enlightening to see that you can actually cast a 30 odd foot leader it wasn't for me, or should I say that I would prefer to 'upstream nymph' the Don with conventional kit and a 12" section of Hi Viz backing as an indicator, but what do I know........................I haven't hung the gear up by any means, just need a more suitable venue.

Iain

Loxiafan

« Reply #759 on: 06/09/2012 at 13:37 »
Good stuff there Iain, you are certainly outgunning me just now big time, though weekday evenings are now off for me due to plank spanking duties  :shock. The rising fish I am encountering are really finicky. Yes, French Leader stuff clearly works (see Fish On Productions vid)......but on a slow, deep flat Don 'glide' ? I am not so sure. As Bones might say: "It's fishing Jim...but not as we know it" !

Allan, I got some of your GREEN Maxima, looks good but is real "chunky munkey" stuff (3lb is 0.15mm). Looks great for 14's and 16's though. FYI the BROWN crappy stuff actually makes good tapered leaders, certainly for the first couple of sections due to it's stiffness. I think that stuff is plutonium enriched - in all my years as a kid I was never broken on Chameleon at any thickness.

Lindsay

Noel Kelly

« Reply #760 on: 06/09/2012 at 17:52 »
Lindsay,

Dare I ask...Plank spanking???

Noel.

Loxiafan

« Reply #761 on: 06/09/2012 at 20:34 »
Dare I ask...Plank spanking???

Nothing to do with "spanking the monkey"....though I suppose I have been called a w*nker many times..... Ask Goolager - he has been known to "spank the plank" :z7 Some of us have the privelege of doing it for a living  :z16 Ooohhhh, Matron !

L

Iain Goolager

« Reply #762 on: 06/09/2012 at 20:57 »
was going to spank the plank tonight but the loon is in his bed sleepin'

Iain

Matt Henderson

« Reply #763 on: 06/09/2012 at 21:16 »
I checked Urban Dictionary. It didn't explain it either Noel..

Alex Burnett

« Reply #764 on: 06/09/2012 at 21:43 »
A lot of famous people been known to Spank the Plank...on a fairly regular basis  :X2 :X2 :X2

Alex

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com