Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

danbruce

Re: River Don 2012
« Reply #735 on: 27/08/2012 at 16:51 »
Managed back out on the river on saturday afternoon, just in time to be caught in the heavy rain. As i have not had many days to fish this month I decided to tough it out.

The beat was nice and quiet apart from 2 guys having a go for salmon (Noel and Iain I'm guessing :?)
As the heavy rain on the water would make fishing dries almost impossible I stuck on a greenwells spider and hoped for the best. Working my way through a nice streamy bit of water I have had some success from before I ended up with 4 brownies up to 8" and lost a larger fish about 1lb at the net. Worked my way through some water further down stream with not much to show, but all in all a good days fishing regardless of the rain.

Cheers
Dan

Noel Kelly

« Reply #736 on: 27/08/2012 at 18:35 »
You guessed right Dan. You should have stopped to say hello. I was impressed to see someone madder than ourselves heading out in that weather.

Allan I'm gonna have to try this maxima green. You have been preaching it for as long as I have known you. Not sure how confident I would be fishing 3lb though :shock

danbruce

« Reply #737 on: 27/08/2012 at 19:47 »
You guessed right Dan. You should have stopped to say hello. I was impressed to see someone madder than ourselves heading out in that weather.

Hi Noel, yeah was going to stop but you guys looked pretty engrossed in you fishing so was going to wait till you had worked your way round to where i was. Looks like common sense prevailed by then as you guys had headed off before you got to where i was. :wink

Dan

Iain Goolager

« Reply #738 on: 27/08/2012 at 20:46 »
Hi Allan,

Yes it just so happens to be Maxima green but in 4lb which I think is about 0.17? and quite a bit thicker than I'm used to BUT worked well  :z16 roll on next the season, those pesky browns will be hit by so many dries they'll be begging for a streamer!

Dan, you should have at least thrown a stone at us. I thought it was 'Soakin' Shamus' passing by that's why I didn't speak. Glad you had some fish, we were just saying that it may have been a good day for Browns on subsurface stuff.
I was really looking forward to getting out for Salmon but the weather put a downer on things so we packed up early doors.

Iain

danbruce

« Reply #739 on: 27/08/2012 at 21:22 »
I thought it was 'Soakin' Shamus' passing by that's why I didn't speak.

Think i got speaking to him on the way back after I had packed up, spinning using the biggest rappala I have ever seen, dunno if he was trying to hook them or knock them out. :z7

Allan Liddle

« Reply #740 on: 28/08/2012 at 10:51 »

Allan I'm gonna have to try this maxima green. You have been preaching it for as long as I have known you. Not sure how confident I would be fishing 3lb though :shock

Been great for me all season Noel, although confess i switch to 4lb when pulling on the lochs (aye ok 6lb floro when it's big lure time, which thankfully isn't very often nowadays).
Landed salmons on the 3lb stuff Noel (best this year 61/2, last it was about 10 and a bit) which is ok as long as you dinne dae a Dads Army, 'Don't Panic.'  Big troots no problem, in fact the only real time you tend to get snapped off is when the line comes over those sharp teeth under tension on the take.  Any line will do this, or at least any around the diameter yer looking to use for presentation stuff.

Switching from a very fast tip action Neilsen #5 to a much slower and much deeper actioned Greys Streamflex Plus (still #5) or the 10' #4 version has made a BIG difference on the breakages.  Think the 3lb Maxima is about 0.16.
Noticed how heavy the 4lb looked when taking close up photies of flees in troots mooths late on last season so decided to try the switch.  Haven't looked back to be fair.

Couple of wee points though:

It MUST be the GREEN stuff, clear isn't clear anymore (more opiaque) and the broon stuff's for gardening.
Watch where the shop stores it, if it's lying out on open display in full daylight, then avoid, or at least do a wee knot test before you buy.  If it's kept in a box in the dark then should be ok.
Watch were you keep it (ditto above)
Water knots on the droppers, remember to wet thoroughly (aye i know teaching granny tae suck eggs, sorry)

That's about it really.  Cheap, strong, stiff enough to help turn over, limp enough not to kill the action, non obtrusive (stress Green stuff only  :z4!!) not the thinnest, but not the thickest either.  Good enough for me and what i'm looking for (for the most part, have other stuff for those tough times, but generally tend not to have to reach for it too often).

Cheers

Allan L

PS Did i mention it's the GREEN stuff?  :wink :z7 :z7 :z4

Peter McCallum

« Reply #741 on: 28/08/2012 at 15:01 »
the broon stuff's for gardening.

It pains me to say it but he's right on that one  :z13 it's truly rubbish and kinks to hell.

Allan Liddle

« Reply #742 on: 29/08/2012 at 09:50 »
Thanks Pete  :wink  Hope life treating you well and new venture a big success.

Peter McCallum

« Reply #743 on: 29/08/2012 at 10:16 »
Thanks Pete  :wink  Hope life treating you well and new venture a big success.

Ta Al, time will tell. You looking for barbless flees for compys  :X2 :X2

Allan Liddle

« Reply #744 on: 31/08/2012 at 18:17 »
Aye but only for the C&R at distance compies.  :z6 :z6 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :wink

josh

« Reply #745 on: 02/09/2012 at 13:40 »
2 salmon last night on the spinner first cast in to one and lost it in the weed close in too the bank took me real close in. Then one at 6.2 lb on the second cast and nothing after that good for a few hours though

Jazzaman1234

« Reply #746 on: 04/09/2012 at 14:34 »
2 salmon last night on the spinner first cast in to one and lost it in the weed close in too the bank took me real close in. Then one at 6.2 lb on the second cast and nothing after that good for a few hours though

Where was this josh?

Mike Barrio

« Reply #747 on: 04/09/2012 at 14:41 »

Where was this josh?

Please don't ask "where" on the open forum, send a PM private message if you must ask the question :z3

Best wishes
Mike

josh

« Reply #748 on: 04/09/2012 at 18:41 »
Where is a secret lol as mike has said pm me if you would like too ask.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #749 on: 04/09/2012 at 19:01 »
Not one for "secrets" ....... this is just common sense :wink

Read this please: http://www.fishingthefly.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=3208.0

Best wishes
Mike

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com