Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Iain Goolager

Re: River Don 2012
« Reply #705 on: 02/08/2012 at 23:45 »
Cracking photo' Lindsay, did you take that from your foxhole?

Well done on the Salmon Kev  :z16

I had an hour out tonight doing a little experiment.

Was out on Monday? fishing nymph and spider, dropping fish on a PTN tied on Tiemco 3761SP-BL's (spear point barbless), fish around the 3/4lb mark and finally one at 1 1/4lb'ish so I decided to change to the only other barbless PTN that I had which was tied on a jig hook. Granted all the fish were smaller after that but they all stayed on including one around 9 oz which was the largest.

I really like the Mustad R72 with flattened barbs but I'm sure I read that they were either discontinued or could only be bought abroad? I'll have to find an equivalent.

Armed with some R72 PTN's I headed to the river and 15 min's later the R72 had no prob's holding onto this nice trout. It was the only fish I touched so although inconclusive it has made up my mind - I don't care for the spear point barbless hooks.  :z8

Iain

Liam Stephen

« Reply #706 on: 02/08/2012 at 23:54 »
That's bonnie fish Goo, spade like tail  :z16

If you plan on getting rid of your spear hook PTNs gimme a shout  :z7

Liam

Mike Barrio

« Reply #707 on: 03/08/2012 at 00:42 »
Nice fish Iain :z16

Cheers
Mike

Noel Kelly

« Reply #708 on: 03/08/2012 at 22:56 »
Nice 1 Iain :z16

Jim Eddie

« Reply #709 on: 04/08/2012 at 09:38 »
Bonnie Fish Iain  :z16

:z18

Jim

Loxiafan

« Reply #710 on: 06/08/2012 at 12:57 »
Nice fish Iain, well done especially so after dropping a few when confidence ebbs !

Inspired by you I bought a (big expensive !) stash of Tiemco 3761SP-BL a while ago to tie up some nymphs. Haven't used them in anger yet but I think I might know the problem. They are VERY solid hooks - looks like they will never bend. In a hook that 'gives' a bit then this to an extent cushions the jolts from the fish etc whereas these bad boys will possibly just pull/work there way out or the fish will wriggle off in the 'micro slack' that occurs ?  :roll So, perhaps hooks that 'give' a bit aren't bad afterall, we just don't want them opening ! Probably cobblers, just think out aloud so to speak. Thought they worked well for you before ?

Liam, didn't realize that was you with Michael Thurs night at the Bridge car park Parkhill 11.00pm ! I was going through this thread last night looking at catches etc and noticed pics of you with Michael ( at......). At least you appear to have lost the totally gay beanie hat since then  :z4

Had 4 to at 10 to 12 oz yesterday on dry fly, lost a decent one but not well enough hooked  :roll

Lindsay

Liam Stephen

« Reply #711 on: 06/08/2012 at 13:16 »

Liam, didn't realize that was you with Michael Thurs night at the Bridge car park Parkhill 11.00pm ! I was going through this thread last night looking at catches etc and noticed pics of you with Michael ( at......). At least you appear to have lost the totally gay beanie hat since then  :z4

Lindsay
[/quote]

Haha FFS first Iain slags me off now you!  :cry That is my lucky hat Lindsay, and I always have it with me even if I'm not wearing it  :z7

Liam

Loxiafan

« Reply #712 on: 06/08/2012 at 13:51 »
Haha FFS first Iain slags me off now you!  :cry That is my lucky hat Lindsay, and I always have it with me even if I'm not wearing it  :z7

Can't slag off a lucky fishing hat Liam, keep wearing it then - there is nothing wrong with looking like a dong as long as you are catching fish ! :z7  I still wear my 'lucky' Grey's hat even though I am now 'Team' Orvis ( my last bank statement can testify to this !).

Lindsay

Iain Goolager

« Reply #713 on: 06/08/2012 at 15:44 »
Lindsay,

I like the way you analize everything (apart from your own dress sense  :X2) but the Mustad R72 is at least as beefy and they have never given me an issue, quite the opposite, never dropped a large fish on them to my memory. Only problem was availability and desire to go with a barbless alternative.

Iain

Loxiafan

« Reply #714 on: 06/08/2012 at 20:46 »
I like the way you analize everything (apart from your own dress sense  :X2) but the Mustad R72 is at least as beefy and they have never given me an issue..

S'wot I do, only way I learn IME. However, I'll spare you my "dissertation" on how 'authentic' 19th century North Country spiders were actually tied with quite 'heavy' hackles and that this sparse hackle fashion is a modern 'fad'.....albeit a sensible and effective one (at times).

Crivvens those hooks were difficult to get (in a particular size) and weren't cheap  :shock I'll gie them a try next season in April if I can deviate from the dry. If I get same results as you - Ebay.

Lindsay

PS your broon troot above - hint of Sea Trout that has stayed in the river for a Season (or two) after spawning ? Small pointy snout, spade tail, general body markings. A grey area I know, but possible. Caught a couple in the River Ae (trib of Annan) near Dumfries 25 years ago that we (fisheries students) reckoned were "Bull Trout" ala those mythical beasts of the Coquet and Tweed. The male fish was nearly 4 pounds in weight and had rows of teeth like a shark ! Cut my fingers to burgerry removing the hook.

Loxiafan

« Reply #715 on: 07/08/2012 at 00:51 »
The thing out the River Ae looked exactly like this:

http://www.lochwinnochac.net/Trout/bull.html

Sometimes called slob trout (estuary trout). I had a great game fishing book when I was a nipper and the guy really extoled the virtue of "Bullies" on the Coquet and Tweed as being the hardest fighting beasts pound for pound.
Got a photo of mine somewhere from 1984.

Anyone seen this type of mythical fish in the Don (or Ythan) ?

L

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #716 on: 10/08/2012 at 15:08 »
Seen at the mouth of the Don..well, at the Bridge of Balgownie. I had one of about 2.5 pounds on a Rapala (was a long time ago before I realised the damage a Rapala can do).

I have heard of them there since then.

Liam Stephen

« Reply #717 on: 13/08/2012 at 22:03 »
Has anyone been out of late or had any joy? This thread seems dead  :roll

:z16
Liam

Noel Kelly

« Reply #718 on: 13/08/2012 at 22:09 »
Has anyone been out of late or had any joy? This thread seems dead  :roll

:z16
Liam

I'm presuming that you have! So why not tell us about it :z7

danbruce

« Reply #719 on: 13/08/2012 at 22:31 »
In between moving house and unpacking boxes i have managed a few hours on saturday morning at upper Fintray and a few more on Saturday afternoon at Kintore.

Not much in the way of fish rising so was just a case of working my way through the river with spiders.
Had a few small trout 6-8" at Fintray on march brown spiders, did have a go at one decent sized trout on the dry fly it rose twice to my fly but pricked it on the second cast and didn't see it again.

Saturday afternoon saw slightly better catches but it was windy which made casting tricky (for me anyway)
Again had on or two small trout. Then while casting out and swinging some spiders through some nice looking water i got a nice solid take from a fish which pulled most of my fly line from the reel as it shot down stream in fastish water, after a spirited fight i finally netted a nice plump 1-1/2lb brownie.

Pretty chuffed as i now seem to be at least getting some action most times i go out.

Cheers,

Dan

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com